Kyrgios: "I actually don't like tennis"

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that does it, I was on the fence before now. But to not even look up from his phone to show the esteemed journalists of the Confidential section the respect they deserve when asked a very serious question about his dancefloor exploits.... NO! I won't have it. Burrrn in helllll you menace, who does he think he is? Always got some new complicated haircut and wearing fancy clothes like he's a senator from Krypton.

Will admit Nick looks a lot more engaged and interested in his fast4 match tonight against Nadal.
Complete contrast to his last Hopman Cup match

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Will admit Nick looks a lot more engaged and interested in his fast4 match tonight against Nadal.

Speaking of fast4, couldn't care less about it, find it all a bit cringe, but I do enjoy hearing the discussions at the sit downs. I like that insight. Interesting with Wally somewhat coaching against the Aussies.

Speaking of fast4, couldn't care less about it, find it all a bit cringe, but I do enjoy hearing the discussions at the sit downs. I like that insight. Interesting with Wally somewhat coaching against the Aussies.
Yeah the format is ridiculous but loving the courtside mics of Hewitt and Masur. Alcott with roving on court interviews is cool too. Could be going beyond midnight here if Theim wins and they need to play a doubles tie to decide if the World or Australia win...

In these situations no one can lose. In saying that I would probably never pay to watch Nick in a non-exhibition match.

Kyrgios scheduled to play Querrey on Wednesday and Berdych on Thursday night

I really dont think Nick K is that fit especially to play for 2 weeks in a GS - look at Nadal, Murray, Novak - these guys are always training.

I saw a bit of fast 4 tennis yesterday, Nick enjoys the attention and playing along with the crowd. Though not sure how serious he is about tennis, especially to win a Grand Slam, he enjoys the entertainment aspect of the game and being a sports star.

Certainly agree, doesn't appear to be in the physical or mental state to last 2 or 3 5 setters at the later stages of a slam.
Theres no way he will get past the 3rd rd if he is drawn out into 5 set matches early on, if that happens it will appear to be a waste the past few weeks, only has himself to blame for not dedicating his pre season to tennis training and not a bit of basketball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really dont think Nick K is that fit especially to play for 2 weeks in a GS - look at Nadal, Murray, Novak - these guys are always training.

I saw a bit of fast 4 tennis yesterday, Nick enjoys the attention and playing along with the crowd. Though not sure how serious he is about tennis, especially to win a Grand Slam, he enjoys the entertainment aspect of the game and being a sports star.
His career will end up similar to Monfils'.

His career will end up similar to Monfils'.

The Poo has to be a like for like comparison. As a young player coming through he knocked off guys like Sampras and Agassi, the same way Kyrgios has beaten a few of the big guys early on, but despite making a couple of GS finals couldn't put it together consistently.

mate is working security today at the open and had to walk around with nick most of the day. said he is an absolute utensil smack and treats everyone like s**t. also said it was funny that a lot of females would yell out and offer nick blowies

The Poo has to be a like for like comparison. As a young player coming through he knocked off guys like Sampras and Agassi, the same way Kyrgios has beaten a few of the big guys early on, but despite making a couple of GS finals couldn't put it together consistently.
The Poo wasn't a ******** though. An e extreme waste of talent, yes.

the Scud had other issues and his dad seemed controlling, who kept changing coaches all the time.

The scud wasn't a clown on the court, and in general treated his fans well, even though he didn't realise his potential he was an athlete most of the country was dying to see achieve success, he had that cool factor as well with the high profile girls hanging off him and the fast cars but he never allowed that to turn him into a twat, his wins over Sampras here and Agassi at Wimbledon were serving master classes, it's just a shame like many others he ran into fed at that Wimbledon final cos I doubt anyone else was beating him.

I have changed my mind with Kyrgios, I think someone close to him should just tell him to give Tennis away for a while.

Sit out for 12 months, if he comes back hungry he will get his ranking back quickly but it is not going to work the way things are. If he never comes back then so be it. A small part of me felt sorry for him tonight on court as crazy as that sounds.

Everything he said post game was lip service.

He cares about winning, that's for sure. Sometimes the demands just get to be too much for him though and he's not well equipped to deal with those situations emotionally. He wants to win but isn't in love with the sport, as he has said many times - it's not surprising that he struggles to find the drive to persist with it. Not that that excuses his reaction to such instances, but that's how I see it.

I think the nonchalant "i don't care" attitude is your classic defense mechanism.

Very much so. He also acts like he is full of confidence, I think underneath he lacks confidence and is very unsure of himself. Taking a year off as Redline suggested may be a very good idea, seems to have worked for Barty. I found myself barracking for Seppi last night in the end and that doesn't happen often when an Aussie is playing. I like watching him play - he is exciting - but when he throws his toys out of the pram I rapidly lose interest. I also don't enjoy seeing him struggling with himself, I find it painful to watch. I feel like he is only still in it because I suspect his family are pushing him to stay in it and also because he can make a lot of money out of it, even playing half fit and with out a coach. But if his heart is not in it, will it be good for him in the long run to keep playing?

I think the nonchalant "i don't care" attitude is your classic defense mechanism.

i think that sometimes, and other times i think he really doesnt care.

whatever it is, eventually using that as an excuse will tire on him and he'll legitimately have to leave the game for his own sanity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back