Recommitted Lachie Neale [OOC 2023 - Will honour his contract]

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Brisbane get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

This seems very ill considered by Neale and his manager. It has a bit of a whiff of the Joe to Sydney debacle of a couple of years ago.

Get the Cerra trade done after the Neale trade, so Freo give up pick 8 & a future 2nd rounder for Neale
Then Cerra for 6 and 27 (or whatever it is)
And Freo sign Parker as a free agent
Haha

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

50 quality Lachie Neale games, at a time where Fyfe is still in his prime, could be Fremantles only chance of winning a flag in the next 20 years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

we had Lachie, Fyfe in his prime, two AA quality small forwards, an AA CHb, an AA ruck and a Hall of Fame CHF and didn’t get one.

Lachie Neale ain’t making the difference, particularly if we can’t fix our forward line which in comparison to 2012-2015 is complete dogshit.

Last edited:
I hope Bell plays hardball over this. Future 1st and thats it- otherwise he can stay in Brissie. Seems the bloke is after another front-loaded payday..good player that he is.

I hope Bell plays hardball over this. Future 1st and thats it- otherwise he can stay in Brissie. Seems the bloke is after another front-loaded payday..good player that he is.

Future first is the absolute last thing we want considering we have Will Ashcroft in next year’s draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he stays. Because of the contract, there isn't much of an incentive for either club to do a trade unless the terms are favourable to them.

I think he stays. Because of the contract, there isn't much of an incentive for either club to do a trade unless the terms are favourable to them.

If Neale is operating as a silo on this with his missus I think they are dreaming.

Unless some other stakeholders have got in their ears to stir things up.

Very interesting to go public without going official

It will be interesting to see what happens if a trade doesn't get agreed, Mrs Neale moves back to Perth and Lachie is held to his contract. Does he play half arsed/do the bare minimum his contract requires, effectively getting paid to sit out.

McGowan said today WA won't open up without quarantine until 80%-90% of the population is vaccinated, likely in 2022.

Lachie woulnd't want to miss the first year of his daughter's life.

Did he break a contract when he went from Freo to Bris?

Yes, had two years remaining on his Freo deal also I think, I'm not 100% though.

Good thing you aren’t a list manager then.

Personally, I think it's probably more likely that he stays in Brisbane. It's possible that he gets to Freo on a deal that's friendly to them and I think the most outside possibility is that he gets traded and Brisbane receive 'full value' for him, just don't think that will happen.

If Freo sell the farm for Neale, they are completely stupid IMO.

It will be interesting to see what happens if a trade doesn't get agreed, Mrs Neale moves back to Perth and Lachie is held to his contract. Does he play half arsed/do the bare minimum his contract requires, effectively getting paid to sit out.

McGowan said today WA won't open up without quarantine until 80%-90% of the population is vaccinated, likely in 2022.

Lachie woulnd't want to miss the first year of his daughter's life.

Have you ever heard an interview with Lachie?

Neale will start the 2022 season as a 28 year old and the 2023 season as a 29 year old. That means Neale's first preseason as a 30 year old will be for the 2024 season... I just don't understand freo fans fretting over Neale's age, you should be wanting your team to get older if you want to seriously contend for the top 6 of the ladder. You can't bring in just draft picks and expect your team to magically jump up the ladder. Surely 5 years worth of top draft picks is long enough and there is an actual need for high end experienced players. Neale isn't that old...

Still contracted for 2 more seasons on big money, you'd think a top 10 pick is a bit of a no brainier. The question would be just if there is anything more to be included. Many recent examples (Big Joe and Tom Papley) of players being held to their contracts, I don't think many Lions people are panicking.
Because we don't see Fremantle challenging in the next 2 years.

As King said on the potential trade " if you are not challenging for a flag, what are you doing?

Fremantle already have Mundy, Fyfe, Walters, Brayshaw and Serong as inside mids. We need to play Walters and Fyfe forward to accommodate Serong, Cerra and Brayshaw.

What the Dockers need is outside class and speed for the spread. Neale doesn't help with either.

On summary:
1. Neale's age vs timeline
2. Neale isn't a need
3. High cost, medium return.

Because we don't see Fremantle challenging in the next 2 years.

As King said on the potential trade " if you are not challenging for a flag, what are you doing?

Fremantle already have Mundy, Fyfe, Walters, Brayshaw and Serong as inside mids. We need to play Walters and Fyfe forward to accommodate Serong, Cerra and Brayshaw.

What the Dockers need is outside class and speed for the spread. Neale doesn't help with either.

On summary:
1. Neale's age vs timeline
2. Neale isn't a need
3. High cost, medium return.

Surely you have to play Fyfe and Walters forward to be a chance of kicking a decent score and Mundy didn't finish the season too strongly. I don't think you're getting much from him next season

AFLPA and managers will never agree but perhaps there should be a rule that if you walk out after the front end part of your contract, you have to pay back some of the money for effectively breaching the contract.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s what can happen when your trying to be clever

Brissie will have to accept whatever Freo offer.

Freo have to be careful because he is on what $800k a year.

Even though Cerra is not that good, he is young and improving, and can kick, I guess Brisbane should end up getting 3/4 of what Freo gets for Cerra
Freo have absolutely reemed teams for contracted players over the last 5 years .

Pick 2 for Weller

Pick 6+19+55 for neale + 30

Pick 10+58+F2nd+F4th+ Blake acres for Brad Hill

Why would brissy have to accept what freo offer ?

The best thing for brissy is just to keep neale unless freo offer overs .

Best thing for freo IMO is to tell Lachie sorry but we are investing in the draft .

Have you ever heard an interview with Lachie?
No. I'm just putting forward a hypothetical in a discussion forum. Given Mark McGowan won't open borders up until Australia is 80%-90% vaccinated, given he will likely still make interstate visitors isolate for 2 weeks, it makes it near on impossible for Lachie to visit his in laws in Perth.

If Jules stays with him in Brisbane, it makes it hard on her family who she is very close with to see their granddaughter and if she moves to Perth, Lachie is in Brisbane by himself until either WA opens up or the end of the season and misses the first year of his daughter's life.

I'm just saying it's a tough decision he faces given his current circumstances.

Brisbane can just very well make the claim that it isn't draft picks that's the compensation, it's the lack of opening up of salary cap room, so extra draft picks have to be given to make up the difference.

It's similar to Josh Dunkley last year, who had 2 years left on a contract that wasn't worth much (hence the desire to move to Essendon for more than double what he was on). Dogs asked for a lot, simply because Dogs had to compensated for the fact that they had the salary cap benefit of underpaying a very good player for 2 more years.

Back