Scandal Lethlean and Simkiss office affairs sex scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no question there was a big power differential and I'm by no means excusing Lethlean's behaviour as a married man with three children. However, she could have said no, particularly as she was aware of his marital situation.

Yeah but I was more getting at the fact that a lot of people have said Maddi was part time, this definitely not the case.

I don't know what happened, you don't know what happened. It would be stupid of us to make assumptions. Apparently multiple women inside the AFL were upset with the affairs(understandably).
Moral of the story don't have affairs with senior junior or anyone in the workplace. 3 of the people involved have left the AFL, with one on leave and will probably not return to the AFL(why would you?).
Never said you assumed what happened and never assumed myself, but you've commented on a hypothetical and it looks at least you're making it a gender issue in your previous posts. Nuff said

I've only skim read this, but let's get one thing straight.

Maddi Blomberg was a full time AFL employee, she was State Auskick Manager. Her direct report was Lethlean.

Also when she left, her full time replacement was overseen by Simon and was replaced with another 'young' woman.
And your point is?

Here's a bit more gossip from Sunday's Herald-Sun.
There's not much to the "big" article. I bet it's on the front page. :D

This is the only "substance".

-------------------------------

AFL’s toxic culture: Sleazy ‘Top 10’ list ranked women by looks

Stephen Drill
16th July, 12:00am

A TOXIC AFL culture has been exposed, with revelations some men in the office created a “Top 10” list of female employees they wanted to sleep with.
The Sunday Herald Sun has confirmed a woman was told of her ranking on the wish list of males at AFL House.

She was told: “You’re number five on the list.”

The Sunday Herald Sun understands Lethlean, who was reportedly paid $900,000 a year, is likely to find a job at an AFL club.

As well as the “Top 10” list, a current male employee at the league’s Docklands headquarters has been dubbed the “King of Tinder” by female employees.

The “Top 10” list was circulating several years ago, but sources within the AFL said they were worried the culture had not changed enough.

However, other female AFL employees told the Sunday Herald Sun they had no issues working at the league.

The AFL did not respond yesterday to questions about the “Top 10” list or the “King of Tinder”.

If this is true, they are a bunch of imbeciles. Actually making a list? That's something boys do when they are 14 years old. Sounds like Gil does need to run a broom through the place.

Yeah but I was more getting at the fact that a lot of people have said Maddi was part time, this definitely not the case.
My reading of your post was that because of the power differential the fault was entirely Lethlean's. Didn't think there was any question of the employment status of the other party who was fully aware of Lethlean's marital status when she agreed to enter into the relationship.

If this is true, they are a bunch of imbeciles. Actually making a list? That's something boys do when they are 14 years old. Sounds like Gil does need to run a broom through the place.

I've heard there was an annual list created by some guys in technology in the bank I work for, though that was 20 years ago. Hard to imagine that happening now. Shows how backward they must be down at AFL house

Soft soft soft! Gil has lost me on this one, pandering to extremist polical correctness views and sensationalist muck raking media. It has me fearfull for what the AFL will look like once he has finished his tenure. Where was the AFL's outrage after Ali Fahours coward punch which was a true discrace. He was all but silent on that one for a week.
I think they have set a dangerous precedent here which crosses the boundary of private life vs work place performance and conduct. Is the whole corporate world now to be held to this standard? There will be a hell of a lot of high level jobs opening up accross every industry if this is the case. I might update my CV. The media now will go sniffing around the garbage and social media platforms (which is where they get most of their news from now) looking for the next person to take down along with going back through history to see what they can dig up from the past.

I agree with you to a point.

From a moral point of view, as far as I'm concerned consenting adults can jump between the sheets with whoever they want.

I'm a bit nonplussed about how they wrote up the 'bravery' of the woman that 'confronted' Simkiss or whatever his name is too - it's none of her business so she was out of line by doing that in my opinion.

And we shouldn't feel to much sympathy for the woman concerned either - both were more than happy it seems to kick off a sexual affair with men they knew were married. As in most things, it only became a problem for them when the relationship went pear shaped - well what the hell did they think would happen? And that Maddi babe was screwing another guy behind her boyfriends back, so tough luck sweetheart.

I've dipped my pen in the company ink well quite a few times but I wouldn't start an emotional relationship with a married woman at work for all the tea in china.

Now - as for the AFL's 'corporate morals' response - the two senior managers had to go. One of the prices you pay when you become a senior executive is that you can't root junior staff and expect to get away with it, so no problems there.

As a side note, following the AFL anointing themselves Australia's moral compass - I find the truth hitting the front page highly amusing :p

That makes it sound like it's an AFL executive in a relationship with three others.

"I got a business to run. I gotta kick asses sometimes to make it run right. We had a little argument, Freddy and me, so I had to straighten him out. He was banging cocktail waitresses two at a time!"
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Extra likes for the Godfather II reference.

You're a funny guy.... you know.... the way you tell a story

who is next ? To go ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in no way condoning the actions of either of these guys, for me adultery is worst form of betrayal, but these are consenting adults and it would happen in workplaces on a regular basis. Caro's rant the other day pissed me off on so many levels and no doubt forced Gil's hand and I'm sure she's feeling quite smug but at the end of the day this could of been handled far more discreetly with both quietly walking away at the end of the year. Instead we now have children who have to front up to school on Monday, two wives who have to front to work or down to their local shops as well as extended family being humiliated after having their lives thrown across all forms of media and why - because their husbands didn't abide by the "AFL values".

What an absolute load of wank
And if they had stayed fat to your last sentence, all this could have been avoided.

My guess is that there is some detail not known to the public that totally changes the situation. There must be some coercion, advantage or explicit policy violation in regards to hierarchy or operational matters.

Here is what I think happened:

GM got wind of it last year sometime.

Concerned, he asked the men involved about it directly.
They lied and told him it was untrue and just BS rumour. GM took them at their word.

9-12 months later he finds out it was all true.

That leaves GM complicit because he did not investigate it properly and simply took his 'mates' word for it. Classic boys club behaviour.

That leaves GM in an extremely vulnerable position and open to criticism he knew about it, did nothing, and allowed it to continue. A boys club indeed.

So last week GM said to the two men, "Look gents, you lied to me and now I look bad. So it's either you or me. Someone has to resign. I suggest you fall on your swords." (Pun intended).

Bare in mind the AFL is not a private enterprise as many people on here seem to allude to or argue in favour of.

The AFL is a quasi public institution that has received billions in taxpayer funds. Think of all the stadium and facilities deals. The Geelong stadium alone was a few hundred million. Add in the Perth stadium, Blacktown, AO and Tassie and Whitten etc etc etc and you get some ideas.

Now the AFL can't go around preaching family and community values in order to secure huge amounts of taxpayer funds when they are saying one thing and doing another.

Think about it.

Last edited:
Thats right. Her even knowing that Simkiss had a wife - and continuing to cup the balls proves she's not a victim.
How much did Simkiss lead her on? Wouldn't be the first time a bloke has spun a story about an unhappy marriage, I'll leave her for you but its just not the right time, etc. I'm assuming equal opportunity moral turpitude until proven otherwise.

This is no different to most male-dominated industries in my mind - having worked in both automotive and mining organisations. The difference is that most companies have fairly strict policies around perceived conflicts of interest. As other's have correctly pointed out, these guys couldn't have really been sacked (asked to leave) unless there were specific breaches of policy (i.e. some undue influence in promoting 'junior' staff due to their relationships).

How much did Simkiss lead her on? Wouldn't be the first time a bloke has spun a story about an unhappy marriage, I'll leave her for you but its just not the right time, etc. I'm assuming equal opportunity moral turpitude until proven otherwise.

Agreed. They are both dirtbags

What about the ads on the bottom of the page of bigfooty. One has a pic of Alex Aance with a link to "top ten best looking players in the comp" :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back