Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless the Tiges can get a legitimate great pick for him to help the rebuild they should keep him.

You don't push out guys like Baker who are heart & soul, let alone for picks that probably won't eventuate to anything decent.

He's only 26, with the longevity of players these days if they take care of business with their list he could still be contributing when they're ready to rise again.

Advances in sports science, diet, training, and the physicality of most sporting codes dissipating has been a game changer.

31, 32, 33 isn't ancient like it was 20 years ago, and we're seeing that with sport across the world, not just here.

Last edited:
Harley Reid for Baker and pick 3?
How difference is the quality of the player at pick #1 & pick #3 in an even draft? would have to see the history of players pick at both those ranges but I almost have a feeling the pick #3 players would be just as good if not better.

Unless the Tiges can get a legitimate great pick for him to help the rebuild they should keep him.

You don't push out guys like Baker who are heat & soul, let alone for picks that probably won't eventuate to anything decent.

He's only 26, with the longevity of players these days if they take care of business with their list he could still be contributing when they're ready to rise again.

Advances in sports science, diet, training, and the physicality of most sporting codes dissipating has been a game changer.

31, 32, 33 isn't ancient like it was 20 years ago, and we're seeing that with sport across the world, not just here.

How many AFL players based in WA play well as they hit the early 30's?

Very rare in those parts.

How difference is the quality of the player at pick #1 & pick #3 in an even draft? would have to see the history of players pick at both those ranges but I almost have a feeling the pick #3 players would be just as good if not better.
Big Difference imo

Scully v Martin

How many AFL players based in WA play well as they hit the early 30's?

Very rare in those parts.
It is, and it's what makes what Mundy did so extraordinary. To play that long traveling every second week is pretty unprecedented.

My scenario had Baker playing out his career at Richmond though, so I don't really get your point.

This kind of talk always amuses me.

West Coast will not entertain giving up pick 1 in a trade for Liam Baker, nor should they.

If Baker wants to get there, West Coast have more than enough to make it happen, without giving up or diluting the best asset they have.

This kind of talk always amuses me.

West Coast will not entertain giving up pick 1 in a trade for Liam Baker, nor should they.

If Baker wants to get there, West Coast have more than enough to make it happen, without giving up or diluting the best asset they have.
I do agree
Its extremely hard to get #1 of any team but it all really depends on where Richmonds 1st pick sits as well as if there is a standout #1 pick in the draft like last year with Harley or with JHF but in a draft where there is no clear cut standout or a very close WA kid then anything is possible .
e.g Baker + Pick#3 to eagles for #1 + #21

But again all depends on the top 3 kids and who they are

I do agree
Its extremely hard to get #1 of any team but it all really depends on where Richmonds 1st pick sits as well as if there is a standout #1 pick in the draft like last year with Harley or with JHF but in a draft where there is no clear cut standout or a very close WA kid then anything is possible .

Very optimistic slipping pick 21 in there

I do agree

I am not sure you do agree.

If you agreed, you wouldn't then follow up with a wildly optimistic trade scenario that involves West Coast trading pick 1 for Baker, and that clearly favors Richmond.

West Coast would sooner simply offer pick 21 on its own. It may be less than he is worth, but if he is out of contract, looking to return to WA, and nominates a club that has pick 1 in the PSD...Richmond are in no position to haggle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well surely Baker is woth more than a 2 pick upgrade if there is no standout #1 player
and #21 is not adequate for a player that will be on $800k+ x 5 years
Don't care what he's worth. If the Eagles offered pick 21 by itself, or pick 1 for 3+ baker, the tigers take it.
PSD exists you simply are not getting overs or his true value, slight unders or nothing

I am not sure you do agree.

If you agreed, you wouldn't then follow up with a wildly optimistic trade scenario that involves West Coast trading pick 1 for Baker, and that clearly favors Richmond.

West Coast would sooner simply offer pick 21 on its own. It may be less than he is worth, but if he is out of contract, looking to return to WA, and nominates a club that has pick 1 in the PSD...Richmond are in no position to haggle.
Ok so in your opinion what pick do you value Baker

We have all seen this movie in the past with many players most recently CCJ/North that were dead last

How did that show finish ?
also add in a 2 x premiership player highly unlikely to screw his old club and former Richmond recruiter that wont screw his old club

But hey this is big footy and we all know what happens in these threads

Carry on and lets see what happens

Ok so in your opinion what pick do you value Baker

I haven't really thought about it. But I can very confidently say anything involving pick 1 is overvaluing him under the circumstances, regardless of what heads in the opposite direction.

We have all seen this movie in the past with many players most recently CCJ/North that were dead last

How did that show finish ?

Why are you using Coleman-Jones as an example here?

He was traded with picks 42, 47 and a future 4th, for Tarrant, pick 40 and a future 2nd.

There was no 1st round pick involved, let alone pick 1.

also add in a 2 x premiership player highly unlikely to screw his old club and former Richmond recruiter that wont screw his old club

Who is saying anything about screwing over anyone?

I'm just stating the very obvious that pick 1 will not be involved in any trade for Liam Baker.

Ill let you think about why i have mentioned it

At the moment I'm thinking it's because you reckon one club overpaying means another definitely will.

But I don't think it works like that, unfortunately for Richmond.

At the moment I'm thinking it's because you reckon one club overpaying means another definitely will.

But I don't think it works like that, unfortunately for Richmond.
Incorrect

But maybe you just like to be the person that likes to believe that when a club finishes last the they hold all the cards and the other team can just bend over and take what they are given. Nah doesnt happen club deal in good faith as north did and eagles will also
2 x premiership players dont burn their clubs specially vice captains like Baker.

ohh by the way I actually rather he stays at Richmond and dont care about magic beans

Incorrect
So enlighten us - what's the reason?

But maybe you just like to be the person that likes to believe that when a club finishes last the they hold all the cards and the other team can just bend over and take what they are given. Nah doesnt happen club deal in good faith as north did and eagles will also
2 x premiership players dont burn their clubs specially vice captains like Baker.
I agree clubs generally negotiate in good faith. I don't think anyone is suggesting Richmond are going to get screwed over without such negotiations taking place.

I am simply suggesting that involving pick 1 in a trade for Baker is wildly optimistic. Which you apparently agreed with, yet then went on to suggest it anyway.

ohh by the way I actually rather he stays at Richmond and dont care about magic beans

Draft picks aren't 'magic beans'. You can still get a good deal for Baker that doesn't involve pick 1.

You also posted the following
I agree clubs generally negotiate in good faith. I don't think anyone is suggesting Richmond are going to get screwed over without such negotiations taking place.

Sounds like you are saying
Ill ask again what do you believe is his value and lets just agree that the Eagles will find the required pick to get it done and wont be a "take pick #21 on its own as you mentioned"

You also posted the following

Yes, I don't think many would suggest that's an unreasonable starting point under the circumstances.

Ill ask again what do you believe is his value and lets just agree that the Eagles will find the required pick to get it done and wont be a "take pick #21 on its own as you mentioned"

And I'll answer again, nothing that justifies involving pick 1.

If Baker wants to get to West Coast, he will get there and pick 1 will remain untouched.

I’d love him to stay

Does Freo have the coin free to match what the Eagles would offer? Cause if they do that will negate any perceived PSD threat

I can’t see Baker caring whether he plays at West Coast or Freo. He’s won his flags this is about getting home and making bank

I’d love him to stay

Does Freo have the coin free to match what the Eagles would offer? Cause if they do that will negate any perceived PSD threat

I can’t see Baker caring whether he plays at West Coast or Freo. He’s won his flags this is about getting home and making bank
If it's bank its West Coast all day. Freo is better for Richmond though. We have more appropriate currency and no PSD threat.

I've played in sports teams that get flogged every week, its not fun. Especially if you've been very successful in the past. Interesting choice for him if he leaves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back