News Martin and Morton Sign Contract Extentions

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
It's already in the "New Contracts" thread but I thought it could use a thread of it's own on a day like today

Morton and Martin sign contract extentions

The Melbourne Football Club is pleased to announce that Stefan Martin and Cale Morton have committed to the Club, signing contract extensions until the end of 2013.

Morton, originally selected at No.4 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft has played 64 games since making his debut against Hawthorn in Round 1, 2008. The 21-year-old battled an injury interrupted 2011, but still managed to play 14 games for the Demons.

Martin, who was selected at No.3 in the 2008 NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft, has played 50 matches for Melbourne. He reached his half-century milestone against Port Adelaide in round 24 this year.

I haven't given up on Morton, I'm prepared to write this season off as a down season he'll bounce back from next year.

Carn Cale.

It's hard to believe that Cale is still only 21 years old. I've potted him just as much as the next person but that puts some perspective on things for me - there is a lot of football and improvement left in him. Hopefully a new coach can bring that out of him.

Re-signing Stef is fantastic news for the club, quickly becoming an important cog in our future.

It's not so much the improvement that he needs, just a wake up call and some confidence!

Cale Morton has the Morton problem of not putting everything on the line in games.

In saying that, I think he is much more likely to do so than his brother Mitch.

You guys just need a coach that can put that self belief into him as well as a bit of fire in his belly.

If you do succeed, you will have a VERY handy player.

Timing is everything, How lucky is Morton to have his contract announcement be shunted from being the big news for the day. He is a very lucky boy & in my opinion should pull his finger out & repay the club for the faith shown in him...

Well done to young Stefan, I have been rapt in his improvement this year, it has been beyond what I thought he could do... Congrats & take the next step in 2012...

Good stuff. Martin is an important get for us, there's very few players in the league who would be competent all over the ground as he is.

Cale just needs to extract a digit, the work rate and ability are still there, hopefully he works hard over summer and can show why he was pick 4 next year.

Good luck to any footballer who gets re-signed but hopefully this isn't a pattern ie. MFC does everything to retain current list (excluding Scully), isn't active in the trade, and expects a new coach to come in and perform miracles. The list has too many 'nice' players with fake tans, so even Ross Lyon mightn't be able to turn it around unless we trade for some aggression in the team. I wouldn't have resigned Morton, Martin is good to keep, and not sure if I would re-sign Brad Green. We'll end up with no- one to trade and 2 years of average, middle of the ladder results. Then, everything is supposed to click and we win a flag in 4-5 years. I'm not sure this is how it will play out .

I am happy with this. Martin is super important to our future so it is fantastic that he has committed to the club especially when there would have been plenty of teams inquiring about his services.

Also happy to give Morton a couple more years to prove himself. I really don't think his (trade) value was high enough for it to be worth trading him and I still think he can make it. Just needs to really commit himself and make every post a winner. Knock em dead Cale.

Hang on, positive and constructive comments about Morton?

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The year was an anomaly, and I blame it on the $cully distraction (coz I can) and a limp dick coach. The only real losses from the team from last year are McDonald, Bruce and now FIFA boy, and with a young developing list surely that's a break even.

Martin's a massive signing, he's still got more to show and next year he'll be a superstar.

I've sprayed Morton before on several occasions, but I've also posted that I wanted him to stay. He's got something. Watts was going nowhere until he got thrown in the boxing ring with Moloney and he finally worked it out - expect him to bulk up big time over the off-season.

Get Morton in there now and he if he doesn't sharpen up then he may well be a lost cause.

If footsteps Morton can get some aggression and intensity in his game he will be a beauty but until then he continues to be a wrong draft choice in my mind.

Please prove me wrong footsteps.....

It just shows you that all the players who signed want to do it as a group .. but like life you always have a odd one out .. maybe he was the issue and not everyone else.

Does anyone think that Neeld has said that both of these players (mostly Morton) were required players during the interview process?

You would think during the process they would have discussed players he thinks may not be required players going forth.

Does anyone think that Neeld has said that both of these players (mostly Morton) were required players during the interview process?

You would think during the process they would have discussed players he thinks may not be required players going forth.

To be honest, no.

Martin is a no brainer, he was never going anywhere.

And even Morton, list management isn't just about the coach, it's about the list management team which obviously still needs to function even if it's just with an interim coach in Viney. I'd say if there was a consensus that they were required, then they finalized the contracts as with these 2.

Anyone they have questions marks about you'd think will have been left until after the new coach joins, which is why we've had no delistings as yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back