Review Dees v Big Jack's Hacks: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo posters: please refrain from coming into this thread to troll/bait about the score review from last night.

Final warning – infractions will be handed out if this continues.

Didn’t learn much last night but not overly disappointed regardless apart from the fact we would’ve stolen it but for Salem’s choke and the ARC being woeful.

It’s just a fact that we’re a tall forward short this year, particularly now Petty who was our only agile option is gone. Grundy didn’t work but they had to try again before finals. At least until Fritsch is back it’s gonna be back on the cycle of running through the different options every week hoping for a flash in the pan.

Thought the goals conceded at the start of the last were so soft. Very disappointed in Gawn’s efforts and although the pattern is clear re when Grundy plays I don’t let Max off the hook for getting towelled up in key moments when he’s in the centre square.

I’d love to see Salem dropped this week for Hibberd, which frees up Bowey to play a distributor role instead of lockdown back. Will never happen though.

Overall I have exactly the same opinion of us I have all year. We’re 4/5th best team, may win one final and may not.

Not impossible we’ll get it right on the day come finals but there’s non evidence across the course of the season we’re on track to do that.

If we selected Schache instead of Grundy we win. :p

If we selected Schache instead of Grundy we win. :p

I love that this board has just devolved into “Choose your nuffy tall forward fighter”. We’ve got a Brown spruiker, Jeffo was gonna be the saviour back in pre season, I’ve pitched in with Grundy and you’re taking it up for Shaquille O’Josh.

We just need some of the other fence sitters to toughen up and tell us why Disco Turner and whatshisname Verall should be in the goalsquare next week.

Marchbank is a lying POS. He said after the game that he got his fingertips to it.
Go watch the replay, at no point were either of his hands near the ball.

Anyone that tells you differently is just basing their opinion on 1 angle only.

Thought the goals conceded at the start of the last were so soft. Very disappointed in Gawn’s efforts and although the pattern is clear re when Grundy plays I don’t let Max off the hook for getting towelled up in key moments when he’s in the centre square.
Yeah I agree with this, there's definitely a pattern but come on we can't boil it all down to Grundy in the team = Gawn is s**t.

I keep thinking backing to that Geelong game a few weeks, where Gawn was dropping marks and especially that dropped mark at half back with absolutely no pressure on him. That's not Grundys fault, that's Gawn being put of form

Yeah I agree with this, there's definitely a pattern but come on we can't boil it all down to Grundy in the team = Gawn is s**t.

I keep thinking backing to that Geelong game a few weeks, where Gawn was dropping marks and especially that dropped mark at half back with absolutely no pressure on him. That's not Grundys fault, that's Gawn being put of form
The whole side was fumbling all night. Blues dealt with the conditions and the pressure much better.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn’t learn much last night but not overly disappointed regardless apart from the fact we would’ve stolen it but for Salem’s choke and the ARC being woeful.

It’s just a fact that we’re a tall forward short this year, particularly now Petty who was our only agile option is gone. Grundy didn’t work but they had to try again before finals. At least until Fritsch is back it’s gonna be back on the cycle of running through the different options every week hoping for a flash in the pan.

I’d love to see Salem dropped this week for Hibberd, which frees up Bowey to play a distributor role instead of lockdown back. Will never happen though.

Overall I have exactly the same opinion of us I have all year. We’re 4/5th best team, may win one final and may not.

Not impossible we’ll get it right on the day come finals but there’s non evidence across the course of the season we’re on track to do that.

Good assessment although I disagree we “had to try” Grundy again before finals. But anyway it’s done now and we move on.

4th or 5th best side in it seems about right. Our saving grace this year happens to be the fact that there just isn’t a big gap between the 1st (Pies) to 5th side. An injury here or some inaccurate goal-kicking there during the finals is likely going to cause an upset or two.

I just can’t see us riding our luck over three or four finals with what has been our Achilles Heel from day one of list lodgement - our dearth of quality key talls in attack. The shelf is emptier than the dunny roll isle at Woolies mid-Covid.

If Ben Brown can find some fitness and return to his 2021 finals form, that’s about the best we can hope for I’m afraid. Other than that it’s Schache or bust.

Pains me to say it but I think Carlton are shaping to make a run deep into September. Not sure if they can win it but they’re going to get even better as quality players return to the side and there’s just something about them. They’re hungry, starved of success and gelling together just at the right time. Plus they have proper weapons in attack.

Goody owns a huge amount of responsibility for this. Although we’re obviously a tall forward short we’ve got plenty of dangerous forwards and should be able to make it work with a smaller forward line.

Can guarantee that under a Chris Scott or Damien Hardwick a forward line of Fritsch, Kosi, JVR, Chandler, Trac would absolutely cut up our defence.

Likewise we somehow turn an abundance of good midfielders into a negative because we can’t find a way to utilise them all when fit.

Goody owns a huge amount of responsibility for this. Although we’re obviously a tall forward short we’ve got plenty of dangerous forwards and should be able to make it work with a smaller forward line.

Can guarantee that under a Chris Scott or Damien Hardwick a forward line of Fritsch, Kosi, JVR, Chandler, Trac would absolutely cut up our defence.

Likewise we somehow turn an abundance of good midfielders into a negative because we can’t find a way to utilise them all when fit.

To be fair the Fritsch injury is a fair out to have had to contend with. Not to mention the Petty injury. We probably win last night with those two in, even if they had McKay back.

To be fair the Fritsch injury is a fair out to have had to contend with. Not to mention the Petty injury. We probably win last night with those two in, even if they had McKay back.
Hate this argument. They were missing Walsh, Cerra, McGovern and McKay and they still beat us. Their outs were just as bad as ours

Good assessment although I disagree we “had to try” Grundy again before finals. But anyway it’s done now and we move on.

4th or 5th best side in it seems about right. Our saving grace this year happens to be the fact that there just isn’t a big gap between the 1st (Pies) to 5th side. An injury here or some inaccurate goal-kicking there during the finals is likely going to cause an upset or two.

I just can’t see us riding our luck over three or four finals with what has been our Achilles Heel from day one of list lodgement - our dearth of quality key talls in attack. The shelf is emptier than the dunny roll isle at Woolies mid-Covid.

If Ben Brown can find some fitness and return to his 2021 finals form, that’s about the best we can hope for I’m afraid. Other than that it’s Schache or bust.

Pains me to say it but I think Carlton are shaping to make a run deep into September. Not sure if they can win it but they’re going to get even better as quality players return to the side and there’s just something about them. They’re hungry, starved of success and gelling together just at the right time. Plus they have proper weapons in attack.

Worst case for Carlton is that this campaign will be a launching pad for them to be a front runner next year. Just getting into the finals will cancel a lot of noise about them.

Grand Final win is totally up for grabs this year I feel. Carlton and Melbourne are coming good at the right time of the year just got to sort out the 23 that goes into the finals.

Hate this argument. They were missing Walsh, Cerra, McGovern and McKay and they still beat us. Their outs were just as bad as ours

The two sides at full strength are very even. I would contend with our best 22 we beat them two times out of three.

McGovern is a spud.

Couldn't agree more re Goody. The positive changes he made in the past month or so (dropping Grundy, Trac more forward, Koz more midfield time) just got thrown out the window last night for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I love that this board has just devolved into “Choose your nuffy tall forward fighter”. We’ve got a Brown spruiker, Jeffo was gonna be the saviour back in pre season, I’ve pitched in with Grundy and you’re taking it up for Shaquille O’Josh.

We just need some of the other fence sitters to toughen up and tell us why Disco Turner and whatshisname Verall should be in the goalsquare next week.
The answer is obviously Stone Cold Joel Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more re Goody. The positive changes he made in the past month or so (dropping Grundy, Trac more forward, Koz more midfield time) just got thrown out the window last night for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I was actually ready to give Goody some credit after our last month or so :$. Poor conditions but the random 180 on a number of positive changes we'd made is so frustrating, almost wish we'd lost by 5 or 6 goals so they don't kid themselves into thinking that rubbish is getting us anywhere.

Haven’t been this mad after a loss in a while. Flag tilt isn’t over but we must firstly beat the hawks to lock in top 4, then hope results fall our way and beat sydney.

Our best is good enough but I’m not sure we can find it for three games in September.
It's a good sign that we're rarely out of the game even when the opposition is all over us, and we are fit enough We should've won last night, Carlton were totally knackered in the last 5 minutes and we stuffed up a few genuine chances to pinch that. Reckon we can win 3 finals in a row, but would require a little bit of luck here and there, which we didn't have last night

Surely you are taking the piss!

He has missed half the season already, and he had absolute stinkers in half the games he has played!
Huh? His last 3 games forward he's looked fantastic. Wtf are you watching? Might have been shaky down back, but he's exactly what we've needed forward. No one else on the list is capable of impacting forward like he does. You're taking the piss right?

Not lurking ….. but just saw the replay on Kayo, if you look at the first replay after the Petraca shot on goal you can clearly see the ball hits Marchbank’s thigh. You see the thigh move. It was a point, umpire actually made the right decision. Nothing worse than controversy to end a game as important as that for both teams. Hopefully that clears that up. Good luck in finals … if it’s not us then please let it be you that beats ******* Collingwood!
so you're saying that marchbank thought that he touched it on his hands, as he gestured, but actually it touched his thigh and the umpire amongst 70k people (who had no idea who or where he was) in the heart of the moment somehow managed to know where on marchbank's body it touched when Marchbank himself had no idea? C'mon, it was a wrong call. The soft call should've been a goal. And it probably was a goal.

I came into this game thinking we might lose and that it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm feeling more pessimistic than I expected though. If we kicked a decent score I think I'd feel better.

Old issues emerging, sloppy slow play, too many inside mids and not enough good users receiving. I dunno, when we lose its never by much but it's not necessarily a good sign as it means we are playing with little flair.

It's a good sign that we're rarely out of the game even when the opposition is all over us, and we are fit enough .

You defence was massive, particularly in the first Q. We had something like 24 I50's for a total of 1 goal 3. Was super impressive (if frustrating for me as a Carlton supporter).

Ripping game last night. Elite pressure from both sides (season record tackle count, with both sides even). Heat on the ball carrier was immense going both ways. Had a real finals vibe to it, with the umps putting the whistles away and letting the boys fight it out.

FWIW, it looked to me like a goal to Trac live to me. Same to my GF who was sitting next to me.

You defence was massive, particularly in the first Q. We had something like 24 I50's for a total of 1 goal 3. Was super impressive (if frustrating for me as a Carlton supporter).

Ripping game last night. Elite pressure from both sides (season record tackle count, with both sides even). Heat on the ball carrier was immense going both ways. Had a real finals vibe to it, with the umps putting the whistles away and letting the boys fight it out.

FWIW, it looked to me like a goal to Trac live to me. Same to my GF who was sitting next to me.
How refreshing, a Carlton supporter who can see the wood from the trees. It was an even game, 4 points could have gone either way and they went yours. Thank you for not trying to insist that the decision was the right one. Looked a pretty clear goal, and I worry that the goal umps now go the lesser score because they have the arc, but the arc is so s**t that nothing gets positively overturned.

How refreshing, a Carlton supporter who can see the wood from the trees. It was an even game, 4 points could have gone either way and they went yours. Thank you for not trying to insist that the decision was the right one. Looked a pretty clear goal, and I worry that the goal umps now go the lesser score because they have the arc, but the arc is so s**t that nothing gets positively overturned.

Even though I thought it was a goal to Trac, the instant the Goal Ump made the soft call of 'Touched' I knew we were looking good for a point.

The video evidence has to clearly show otherwise to overturn it. If it's inconclusive (and the video replays I saw were inconclusive either way but you guys might differ with me there) then the soft call stands.

It's a bit like Umpires call in Cricket. If you're given out LBW by the Umpire, unless the DRS shows the ball entirely missing the stumps (it's conclusive), you're out on review even if it's just clipping the stumps. The umpires initial call is given weight, and unless there is conclusive evidence against it, it stands.

Paradoxically, if the Goal umpire last night instead soft called a goal, it would have remained a goal because the replays were inconclusive either way.

We could do with better cameras on the goal reviews (higher frame rates, better resolution, and more angles), but I back the current system where the Umpire on the grounds soft call stands unless they're conclusively proven to be wrong.

We got the rub on that one, but it was more down to the Goal Umps soft call of 'touched' more so than the review system itself.

Anyways, leave you guys to it. Hope both our teams can bring the same heat in the finals (should we make it).

so you're saying that marchbank thought that he touched it on his hands, as he gestured, but actually it touched his thigh and the umpire amongst 70k people (who had no idea who or where he was) in the heart of the moment somehow managed to know where on marchbank's body it touched when Marchbank himself had no idea? C'mon, it was a wrong call. The soft call should've been a goal. And it probably was a goal.
It was inconclusive with the hands, to be brutally honest couldn’t tell. So Marchbank believed he did touch it but let’s be honest if he didn’t he still would have said he did. All I am saying is you can definitely see it hit his leg so the right call was made. Was it lucky that it went our way, sure, of course it was.

But if it had gone your way and looking at the replay and seeing that it hit the led, especially after last year I would have been livid.

For better or worse the right outcome did eventuate. It wasn’t a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back