Review Dees v Big Jack's Hacks: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo posters: please refrain from coming into this thread to troll/bait about the score review from last night.

Final warning – infractions will be handed out if this continues.

At least Milkshake knows his place and has gone to s**t before Fritsch comes in.
My partner had it right tonight: "he's moving like Ben Brown". Milkshake couldn't bloody bend over. Needs a rest.

Checked the ladder predictor. So basically the only way we miss 4th is if we lose our last two (Hawks/home then Sydney/away) and Carlton win their last two (Suns/away then GWS/home).

If that happens and only if that happens will we slide to 5th and Carlton take 4th.

Seems unlikely but there it is.

It was worth a shot in the circumstances. We know now that, even with Grundy being told to play forward, he can't really do it, and we can move on.

Why was it “worth a shot in the circumstances”? We already knew Grundy couldn’t play forward. That’s why he was dumped to Casey.

Melk is just treading water till Fritsch is back. His little renaissance was nice but like last year he’s come in, played a few good games then gone back to s**t.
None of our forwards except Grundy should cop anything for this game. Ball movement was atrocious went back to expecting them to win high slow balls. Melk was never given anything one on one to work with he was used to negated Weitering which he mostly did

Melk is just treading water till Fritsch is back. His little renaissance was nice but like last year he’s come in, played a few good games then gone back to s**t.
Unfortunately it seems that way, but he's done more than I—or anyone else—expected him to, so I'm not gonna drag him over the coals for it.

At his age, he's a cameo player. Still think he's important to have in terms of playing a role on a Darcy Moore-type in September, but can't play every week

What a horrible night for the MFC in a number of ways.

Petty is going to be a loss too monumental to cover it looks like. Gave us a chance for a premiership with him kicking goals and taking hangers. The F50 cupboard is bare. I'd rather try Jefferson than Grundy, that's how bad he's going.

Score review was a disaster, but we deserved to lose. We played terrible footy. Went back to a defensive plan and it was shizen.

Jordon can gagf. Proving our depth is garbage because he's better than most of the depth we have.

On Grundy. He’s done. Was once a decent follower ruckman like Jeff White or Dean Cox but with no overhead/contested marking ability. He could drop in as an extra link in a midfield chain with tidy disposal and decent decision making. His competitiveness and follow up work around stoppages was a particular strength. At his peak he made AA twice. And yet, he was still an inferior player to Gawn.

His injury troubles in recent years have caused a decent decline to the point that he fell behind Darcy Cameron (an average ruckman) and Mason Cox who is crap except once in every 10 games which is usually against us… Collingwood were happy to trade him out. Collingwood were happy to pay $300kpa to NOT have him on their books.

So all this talk of he’s a top 5 ruck in the league is bullshit. He’s a really s**t version of Luke Jackson with none of the upside and most of the wage bill. If we can get rid of him, I’m all for it, but I doubt there’d be too many takers.

We hoped he’d get back to his best and we could augment Gawn but it hasn’t worked. There was no shame in trying but it would farcical to persist with it.

It was worth a shot in the circumstances. We know now that, even with Grundy being told to play forward, he can't really do it, and we can move on.
I would have been ok with one last crack if Grundy had shown anything at VFL level to deserve a spot. I know we're desperate but picking a guy (seemingly) on profile alone, who has shown nothing in the position we're asking him to play is poor for a number of reasons. Anyway, at least this should be the end of it.

So far as I can tell, Joel Smith doesn't even have a thread on this board. Poor bloke

Regardless, please never play this useless campaigner in defense again. He isn't a defender's arsehole. Forward or sub for this potato.

Last edited:
Fugly - Oliver sliding into contests late, getting in the way of Viney who's picking the ball up whilst remaining on his feet. Oliver and Viney cannot coexist at the same stoppage.

The whole team fumbled soooooo much.

Blues mids were incredible at riding a tackle and getting an accurate handball out to a runner in space. By comparison, Melbourne panic kicked or scrubbed a handball to the feet of someone stationary.

Trac kicked a goal, we should have won, but deserved to lose.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Checked the ladder predictor. So basically the only way we miss 4th is if we lose our last two (Hawks/home then Sydney/away) and Carlton win their last two (Suns/away then GWS/home).

If that happens and only if that happens will we slide to 5th and Carlton take 4th.

Seems unlikely but there it is.

So you’re saying there’s a chance?
giphy.gif

So far as I can tell, Joel Smith doesn't even have a thread on this board. Poor bloke

Regardless, please never play this useless campaigner in defense again. He isn't a defender's arsehole. Forward or sub for this potato.

Cannot play forward either.

Sub at best purely because of our poor depth. Can’t wait to see him off the list.

As shite as Grundy was, that game was lost in the midfield. Once again we looked slow and to be always second to the ball.

But I'm sure Oliver will save us in there right? Right?

Last edited:
ok I'm off to watch Goodys presser. I want to see how close I am.
my guess is:
"we're not in the game of blaming umpires, it's not us. It's a split second decision and it's not my place to make a call on that".
"Amazing credit to Carlton"
"I thought Carlton deserved to win. They were just better for longer. They showed us how to play 4 quarter footy"
"I'm proud that we fought back and he stuck with it and showed great resolve"
"Grundy is still working on leading patterns. The conditions didn't suit Brodie tonight but he is invested in putting in the work and making the dees better forward of centre"
"Oliver showed what we know he can produce and that's appetite for the contest".
"we're disappointed wth the loss, of course we are, but we are a forward thinking football club and we will dust ourselves off and focus on next week. There is plenty of footy left in the season".

If the conditions didn’t suit Grundy then why pick him ? Mind boggling selection. Didn’t deserve to win anyway , some players living off their reputations.

If the conditions didn’t suit Grundy then why pick him ? Mind boggling selection. Didn’t deserve to win anyway , some players living off their reputations.
Because stupidly we seem to have made a system and forced players into it, rather than building our best 22 and then making a system from it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back