Toast McRae era (2022-) = see OP

Remove this Banner Ad

If as you say , “McRae is a good coach” , why does he continue to turn to the same old players who are not up to it ,? as you mentioned, I like you , want to see the young ones developed and given a good run at it , Faaark me , we know the ones who have been gifted game after game after game. Their done. Most of us here see it . By years end , 7 players minimum should be culled , if not , we are in for a world of pain on the footy field .
You’ve described the role of an interim coach. McRae isn’t that. He’s going to put the side on the park he thinks gives us the best chance to win on the day in question.

Priorities may change a little if we’re 5-9 at the bye, but he won’t be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. And remember, the reason Bucks gave for not being confident he was still the man for the job, was that he wasn’t sure he could commit to another five years. They know it won’t be a quick fix.

7 players won’t be culled at season’s end because we’ve already had massive list turnover, and we can’t replace them with crappy selections.

7 players won’t be culled at season’s end because we’ve already had massive list turnover, and we can’t replace them with crappy selections.
I think our list has plenty of holes in it, I’d be disappointed if we held onto deadwood because our talent id team isn’t creative enough to find someone who isn’t a vanilla flanker.

You keep bringing up North , we are not North ,if you are comparing their development program to ours , then you are off the mark , no one said youth at all costs , they are your words , play the youth when they are right to go and reward them for their performances in the Magoos , it’s all about selection integrity, right ! when young players see others been continually rewarded with the same results , it’s totally bewildering and deflating for them . Out with the continually tried and failed , in with the promise and exuberance of youth , when they have warranted selection.

We have been rewarding VFL performances when vacancies arise or form warrants a player being dropped.

Tyler Brown BOG - elevated.
Callum Brown BOG - elevated
Bianco 5 goals - elevated
Henry 7 goals - elevated

You just don’t like the players that are being elevated. When the players you want promoted can deliver like that, then they’ll get their chances.

While you say there’s no individuals banging the door down that might be true…. But as a collective the whole team is banging the door down!!!!

There’s actually a case to be had that the best development path right now is actually in the VFL team…… because they are winning, and they are building a great brand of football and playing with a lot of cohesion. Admittedly that’s partly due to a strong list of VFL listed players, but regardless the afl listed kids will learn a lot from that winning culture that’s being developed.

And the individual senior listed players who are driving that VFL performance are getting rewarded.

You’ve described the role of an interim coach. McRae isn’t that. He’s going to put the side on the park he thinks gives us the best chance to win on the day in question.

Priorities may change a little if we’re 5-9 at the bye, but he won’t be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. And remember, the reason Bucks gave for not being confident he was still the man for the job, was that he wasn’t sure he could commit to another five years. They know it won’t be a quick fix.

I think there will be that many depart at the minimum. Only 7 departing wouldn't give us that many draft picks. We'd end up doing something like:

1 the upcoming midseason draft pick
1 recruit
3 draft picks
1 rookie draft pick
1 cat b

McRae had a healthy list at the start of the season, and we looked good. His game plan was built on that list. We were kicking big scores, with a spread of goal kickers.

But our defence was loose even then, and we have struggled all year to get that right. It’s a work in progress (understatement).

Since we’ve lost players to injury and illness, and apparently the lingering effects of the latter, it’s impacted both the game plan and our ability to keep bringing in more kids. And when we do, obvious talent like Henry gets crucified for playing like an inexperienced kid under pressure in a losing side!

I’m as impatient as anyone to see Murley, Harrison, McMahon, McInnes, AJ, etc, in the seniors, but at this precarious stage of the season and of their development - a McRae speciality - we can’t just drop experienced players for them. We would get massacred.

It’s a horrible balance for a rookie coach, and one who’s had limited - if any - say in the makeup of the current list. His challenge is to make something positive out of the remainder of the season. Let him do his job.

If as you say , “McRae is a good coach” , why does he continue to turn to the same old players who are not up to it ,? as you mentioned, I like you , want to see the young ones developed and given a good run at it , Faaark me , we know the ones who have been gifted game after game after game. Their done. Most of us here see it . By years end , 7 players minimum should be culled , if not , we are in for a world of pain on the footy field .
Who are these players according to "most of us", i.e. a bunch of armchair experts?

We have been rewarding VFL performances when vacancies arise or form warrants a player being dropped.

Henry 7 goals - elevated

You just don’t like the players that are being elevated. When the players you want promoted can deliver like that, then they’ll get their chances.
Also doesn't seem to know what he's on about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounding like Dave 😂
:) We always seem to struggle against Freo. We have our ups and downs with the Eagles but most Freo games seem to be dour grinds with a rare exception on Checkers debut or the Vic Park days.. Bit like Port and Adelaide. Great record against the Crows, often struggle against Port.

I'm happy with our progress under McRae. A few good youngsters coming through and a few good experienced players that are still young enough to challenge in a few years. Fill in the gaps, get lucky in the draft and/or the trade market, and I reckon we'll be a strong side in 2024 onwards.

Don't stress about the losses, as much they hurt, think ahead and find the positives. The higher the draft pick the better.

Henry 7 goals - elevated

Spot on , besides Henry , the listed players you have mentioned above are all list cloggers , nothing more , nothing less , put a broom through them at seasons end . Go back to the draft and look to get a couple of quality State league players ala Checkers and Dean also .

Spot on , besides Henry , the listed players you have mentioned above are all list cloggers , nothing more , nothing less , put a broom through them at seasons end . Go back to the draft and look to get a couple of quality State league players ala Checkers and Dean also .

Wow, point completely missed…..

What is your alternative and superior metric, to promoting players based on VFL form.
The way we retain sub-standard players on our list for way too long , leaves our hands tied and with very little alternative

Remove this Banner Ad

Back