McStay high hit on Doedee

Remove this Banner Ad

Queue angry Adelaide fans in 3...2...1...
Not really, I think they got the results right to be honest. The Cutler incident on Murphy had to be suspended and 2-3 seems about right. Doedee dropping down makes it pretty hard to lay all the blame on McStay. If he stayed up at normal height and still got crunched high different story so I think a fine is probably fair as a little reminder you've gotta be a bit careful when you line someone up.

Colour me surprised. I genuinely expected there to still be a suspension given the AFL's mentality towards head high contact*.

*when involving players that aren't in the protected species list...

Well hes certainly not implying the next time the Lions play the Crows that his non-dog players will try and take McStays head off.
Even if he is.

What was wrong with the 2 quarters they had to retaliate on the weekend

Correct decision, Doedee dropped his knees as he braced for impact causing the high tackle. If he hadn't, it would've been a spectacular, bone crunching tackle by McStay and we want that kept in the game.

It’s amazing how pretty much everyone has been calling ducking a blight on the game and that it was only a matter of time until a player got themselves hurt.

Then it happens and you have people wanting to hang the tackler. Heh!

MRP did good here.

Last edited:
Correct decision, Doedee dropped his knees as he braced for impact causing the high tackle. If he hadn't, it would've been a spectacular, bone crunching tackle by McStay and we want that kept in the game.

I can't understand why he was fined. Doedee drops while bracing for impact causing the high contact. To me it's either a couple of weeks or completely off. I don't get how it's a fine.

I can't understand why he was fined. Doedee drops while bracing for impact causing the high contact. To me it's either a couple of weeks or completely off. I don't get how it's a fine.

McStay wasn't fined for the hit on Doedee, he was fined for rough conduct on Luke brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon man... is it too much to ask to read the MRO report first?

Contact between the Brisbane Lions’ Daniel McStay and the Adelaide Crows’ Tom Doedee from the third quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. Doedee has taken possession of the ball when McStay comes towards him to tackle. Doedee lowers himself in a bid to avoid the tackle and McStay makes high contact to the Adelaide player. It was the view of the Match Review Officer that McStay’s actions were a legitimate attempt to tackle. No further action was taken.

C'mon man... is it too much to ask to read the MRO report first?

Contact between the Brisbane Lions’ Daniel McStay and the Adelaide Crows’ Tom Doedee from the third quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. Doedee has taken possession of the ball when McStay comes towards him to tackle. Doedee lowers himself in a bid to avoid the tackle and McStay makes high contact to the Adelaide player. It was the view of the Match Review Officer that McStay’s actions were a legitimate attempt to tackle. No further action was taken.

Obviously it is. I skim read in this thread about a fine and concussion, figured it was about McStay and Doedee given this thread is about that incident. Didn't even know their was a McStay and Brown incident.

Good decision. In trying to evade a legitimate tackle, Doedee put himself in harm's way. Definitely worth a free due to high contact, but not a suspension.

That said, it's not in line with previous similar incidents, so those previously pinged are right to feel aggrieved.

But a step in the right direction at least.

Between this and the Hurn decision it looks like the duty to take care in a tackle is starting to shift from the tackler to the tacklee (particularly where the head is lowered). It hasn't shifted 100% (nor should it), but it is looking more like a shared obligation. Which is where it should be.

Correct outcome. I definitely don't think Doedee played for a free kick or ducked his head, is was more of a case that he braced for impact and in doing so, lowered his centre of gravity to balance himself in preparation of the impending force from McStay. McStay definitely didn't show any malice and it was an accident. Well done Michael Christian :thumbsu: :huh:

Don't reckon he had time to think 'duck', it was more bracing himself for impact as others have said. Tarring him with the ducking brush is a bit rich.

Having said that, surprised the cannoning into a stationary player and driving their face into the ground part hasn't been part of the conversation after the NicNat on Amon one.

You'd think NicNat would be pissed.

The right result.. doedee ducks in bracing for impact..

What mcstay did is what every player should do to Selwood week in week out when he drops his knees and lifts his arm to draw a head high free kick...

Just continue with your tackle, cannon into him and if it collects him high and knocks him senseless then its play on..

after it happening a couple of times Selwood will stop dropping his knees and drawing a free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back