McStay high hit on Doedee

Remove this Banner Ad

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Doedee did not return after this one.

I think this is where the AFL made a mistake with Walker, surely they can't grade it the same way as Doedee never returned and was in a bad way needing help off the field, but I don't think it's necessarily worth two weeks.

How in God's name was this not a free kick either?

“I think it's really important to understand that he took reasonable care to execute the bump fairly.

He couldn't reasonably foresee that there was going to be an accidental clash of heads.”

That is what Christian said about Burton’s bump on Higgins earlier in the season. In the first line swap bump with tackle and in the second line swap accidental clash of heads with Doedee dropping at the knees and drawing high contact.

This is what he’ll say tomorrow.

Wasn’t a free because he ducked and won’t be a suspension for the same reason.

Doedee did not return after this one.

I think this is where the AFL made a mistake with Walker, surely they can't grade it the same way as Doedee never returned and was in a bad way needing help off the field, but I don't think it's necessarily worth two weeks.

How in God's name was this not a free kick either?

Free kick yes, but you don't see McStay having a swing of arm or slamming Doedee to ground etc (I haven't seen Walker incident yet, so can't really compare). McStay crashed into Doedee while trying to tackle him, Doedee crouching to absorb impact didn't help. The fact that none of the other players went in and remonstrated shows it was deemed accidental.

McStay may cope a fine for this or 1 week worse case. MRP is a lottery anyway.

Bit of a clumsy tackle but I don't think there was any malice involved. Also, with all due respect, Doedee didn't help himself by ducking a bit as he was tackled. McStay should get off but it'll be interesting to see how Christian sees it due to the concussion.

He'll get off, fine at most.

Amazing what happens when you duck. McStay looked clumsy but at real speed there was no time to adjust.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a week, though the replay clearly shows Doedee flinching and lowering before impact.

EReWX38.png

At the time this still is taken McStay has not made any contribution to Doedee's position. His forearm is literally just now making contact with the head. You can see that Doedee has lowered himself and bent the knees in the face of the oncoming tackle.

To me it is a textbook duck, play on, no free let alone a MRP citation. Otherwise what is the point of the current interpretation?

Amazing what happens when you duck. McStay looked clumsy but at real speed there was no time to adjust.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a week, though the replay clearly shows Doedee flinching and lowering before impact.

So which is it? Did Doedee had time to duck, and McStay didn't have time to adjust his arm?

Careless, high, high = 2 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doedee did not duck, just turned and was hit, his position is already low.

It's up to the tackler to execute the tackle fairly and being smashed in the face causing concussion is not a fairly executed tackle.

A fine would be a joke.

Braced for impact but in doing that (for whatever reason) lowered himself - maybe to get a free. Should have been a free. That be it. No suspension.

Not a duck change of direction then brace, but not a duck.

If he lowered his body to changed direction he still lowered his body, drawing the high contact.

Doedee is a similar height to McStay and you can see McStay made an effort to lower himself to tackle fairly. Doedee just went lower.

Doedee's position is not unreasonable, the tackler has to make sure he doesn't smash him in the face causing concussion.

If he lowered his body to changed direction he still lowered his body, drawing the high contact.

Doedee is a similar height to McStay and you can see McStay made an effort to lower himself to tackle fairly. Doedee just went lower.
Slight correction McStay is 195cm at 98kg, Doedee is 189cm at 88kg slight difference in height and weight.
However, Doedee suffer a Concussion thru a clumsy tackle attempt and missed the remainder of the game, Doedee did not make a deliberate attempt at a duck, and McStay could have made a better attempt on the tackle.
Going on this year only he looking at 1-2 = 1week if he accepts.
AFL has been rather harsh on tackles and hits that end up with the player suffering a concussion.

Contact to the head occurred and a concussion occurred as a result . I don't think there was any intent to hurt him but it was badly mistimed and I would be amazed based on the outcome if it was not a 1 week suspension at least. That it was not a free for forceful head high contact on the night is bewildering to say the least

Slight correction McStay is 195cm at 98kg, Doedee is 189cm at 88kg slight difference in height and weight.
However, Doedee suffer a Concussion thru a clumsy tackle attempt and missed the remainder of the game, Doedee did not make a deliberate attempt at a duck, and McStay could have made a better attempt on the tackle.
Going on this year only he looking at 1-2 = 1week if he accepts.
AFL has been rather harsh on tackles and hits that end up with the player suffering a concussion.

McStay's tackle landed where Doedee's shoulder would have been had he not lowered himself when he saw he was going to be tackled by McStay. Unless you think McStay should have anticipated that Doedee would start to come back up and then lower himself again.

Contact to the head occurred and a concussion occurred as a result . I don't think there was any intent to hurt him but it was badly mistimed and I would be amazed based on the outcome if it was not a 1 week suspension at least. That it was not a free for forceful head high contact on the night is bewildering to say the least

Precedent was set with the Burton bump on Higgins.

No free because he lowered his body. Doesn’t get called correctly consistently but is in line with the rules.

So which is it? Did Doedee had time to duck, and McStay didn't have time to adjust his arm?

Careless, high, high = 2 games.

Well the guy sprinting in to make the tackle was committed to tackle at the height he was set at. The guy about to be tackled was lowering himself to try to avoid bring crunched by the player sprinting at him. Watching the replay, if Doedee didn’t continue to go lower McStays arms would have been chest high and around the arms.

Ultimately I think it was completely clumsy, and concussion looked to be from the face in the turf more than the body contact, but I’m also wary the MRP will probably pay attention to it given Doedee went off and stayed off. I’d guess McStay will probably get offered 2 down to 1 on early acceptance.

Id also like to know what happens to the umpires in this situation. The ump in control of play was not far away at all and had clear vision of the whole event. Everyone in my area at the game thought we were going to see a free, 50, a scuffle... nothing.

McStay's tackle landed where Doedee's shoulder would have been had he not lowered himself when he saw he was going to be tackled by McStay. Unless you think McStay should have anticipated that Doedee would start to come back up and then lower himself again.

He contacted the head with enough force to cause a concussion. it was a clumsy tackle.
It not how we see the incident it's how the AFL view the incident

He contacted the head with enough force to cause a concussion. it was a clumsy tackle.
It not how we see the incident it's how the AFL view the incident

See the Burton incident. I quoted above what Christian said. The high contact was not McStays fault and it was reasonable for him to assume Doedee would keep his feet. This is what he’ll say tomorrow as to why he doesn’t have a case to answer for.

See the Burton incident. I quoted above what Christian said. The high contact was not McStays fault and it was reasonable for him to assume Doedee would keep his feet. This is what he’ll say tomorrow as to why he doesn’t have a case to answer for.

Unless he sees that Doedee was in the act of changing direction when the hit occurred.
Also Burton incident was a lot different. but this is the point you have forgotten.
"I think it's really important to understand that he took reasonable care to execute the bump fairly"
McStay tackle was clumsy and did he take reasonable care.
By the way, Burton hit on Higgan was a head clash.
"He couldn't reasonably foresee that there was going to be an accidental clash of heads."
if it was the shoulder or arm it would have been a different story.

But time will tell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back