Racing Melbourne Cup 2017

Your choice for the cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be hard to underestimate a 3.5L WFA G1 victory I'd say.

Still, only over 1600 and Humidor is yet to show he runs a strong 2400 let alone 3200.

I doubt we'll see a sit/sprint Prince of Penzance type of Cup this year either - Lloyd's army will take care of that. Humidor's staying ability is likely to be put to the test.

He's by Galileo out of a Zabeel mare so he's got some hope, but double Danzig doesn't exactly scream stayer.

If OOSG doesn't come and Hartnell doesn't head to the Cup Almandin gets 58kg which I think is too much despite his form.

57kgs not 58kgs:

AR 103 (2) provides that if at the final declaration of acceptance for any Group 1 handicap race in Australia, the highest weight to be carried (including any extra weight by way of re-handicap or penalty) is less than 57kg, then allocated weights for the race must be increased until the highest weighted acceptor is weighted at 57kg.

57kgs not 58kgs:

AR 103 (2) provides that if at the final declaration of acceptance for any Group 1 handicap race in Australia, the highest weight to be carried (including any extra weight by way of re-handicap or penalty) is less than 57kg, then allocated weights for the race must be increased until the highest weighted acceptor is weighted at 57kg.

Might be special rules for the MC?

Anyway - OOSG is heading Arc as expected and Thomas Hobson was rolled, albeit running ok in the Doncaster Cup on Friday night.

Honestly this is a rare year when none of the overseas horses excite me. Especially with Almandin putting down that kind of marker on the weekend.

Might be special rules for the MC?

Anyway - OOSG is heading Arc as expected and Thomas Hobson was rolled, albeit running ok in the Doncaster Cup on Friday night.

Honestly this is a rare year when none of the overseas horses excite me. Especially with Almandin putting down that kind of marker on the weekend.

If RV's own webpage on the Melbourne Cup was any guide, AR 103 would apply:

https://rv.racing.com/racing-and-integrity/race-dates/feature-race-conditions

But that page makes no mention of the new rule preventing re-handicapping above 56kgs.

God knows what the rules are...

57kgs not 58kgs:

My dad reckons Almandin will bolt in. He usually doesn't say stuff like this but has a good record of backing Cup winners.

I do realise they say 57kg in the feature race on their website but on the Melbourne cup weights page it says 58kg......there's a tweet on the previous page from RV that says 58

Best work late. Hopefully comes, unfinished business. Legit hope for mine.

Hard to tell given the insane epileptic camera cutting directors they use in Japanese racing :D

I've done an Oaks and a Derby in Carnival week (both up in the Precinct section, with (limited) trips down to GA), and planning on going to the Cox Plate this year, in the members.

By far and away the best days I find are things like the Memsie. Qualilty returning to the track, kicking off Spring and there's about 15 people in GA. You can just ******* do whatever you want. Or even more morbid/awesome is like a random May raceday (went to Flemington on Sangster/Aus. Oaks day)

There was ******* about 3 or 4 people on track there and you can really get a feel for market shifts and where the money's going, generally everyone on track is a racing fan as well, not just some idiot there to get pissed and ruin everyone's time.
I'm off to Derby Day this year in the Precinct section, whats it like there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm off to Derby Day this year in the Precinct section, whats it like there?

Very easy going, plenty of females around. Super easy to get bevarages, and a better selection than you get down in the pleb area. Only downside is not actually seeing the horses, but the biggest screen in the world makes up for it. We wandered down to GA, spent 5 minutes there and ran back up to the Precinct. Full TAB & Tote facilities and food trucks and s**t. You're paying for all these privileges, but well worth it in my opinion.

Very easy going, plenty of females around. Super easy to get bevarages, and a better selection than you get down in the pleb area. Only downside is not actually seeing the horses, but the biggest screen in the world makes up for it. We wandered down to GA, spent 5 minutes there and ran back up to the Precinct. Full TAB & Tote facilities and food trucks and s**t. You're paying for all these privileges, but well worth it in my opinion.
Perfecttttt, I think they've moved it actually trackside this year so should be interesting! Thanks mate, pumpedddd

Pretty happy I jumped on Almandin at $12 a couple of weeks back

Paris won't be happy reading that.

Ollie taking the ride gives me hope it can't win.

Hope connections send Albert down, the flucs on the fair suggests he'll be coming. Can't see why they wouldn't, well weighted.

Edit: Albert not coming, campaigner.

Last edited:
Back