Racing Melbourne Cup 2017

Your choice for the cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it fair ti say that Red Cardinal (at this stage) is better then Tiberian?

I couldn't see how that could possibly be the case to be honest. Red Cardinal was running in Handicaps in the UK while Tiberian was running in black type races in France and the UK (including the gold cup). RC then went to Germany and the US to pad his stats and was subsequently stomped when coming back to France.

If you like RC you are hoping Wohler has improved him a boat load (entirely possible) but the way the relative hype levels are you are probably going to get a much better price on the day Tiberian v RC when the former would most likely start a well backed fave over the other were they to meet in Europe.

Being a WA guy, Id like to see STAR EXHIBIT do well in either Cups. I always like it when a WA horse goes east and does well...but in recent times the big staying races have been hard to win.

If anything I reckon the Caulfield Cup is an ideal race for Star Exhibit. The question as always when it comes to WA horse is: "Are they good enough?"

Being a WA guy, Id like to see STAR EXHIBIT do well in either Cups. I always like it when a WA horse goes east and does well...but in recent times the big staying races have been hard to win.

If anything I reckon the Caulfield Cup is an ideal race for Star Exhibit. The question as always when it comes to WA horse is: "Are they good enough?"

when it comes that question, Star Exhibit is not.

As in not good enough?

yeah, well below CC level. off-season G1's at best. i have a feeling a 2nd to sense of occasion may be his career highlight.

only WA horses that gave an impression in WA that they're good enough for big G1's last year with a 90+ rating on mine were Scales of Justice and Vega Magic, i'll also include Rock Magic who scraped in. Chocolate Holic, Royal Star(injured) and Samovare really only other two with scope to reach that fringe level IMO. but answer on chocolate holic is already no.

Last edited:
Thought I'd drop in to see if Seth kept his promise of avoiding this thread. Sadly it seems that he did. Might start up a GoFundMe thing and raise funds to bring him back.

yeah, well below CC level. off-season G1's at best. i have a feeling a 2nd to sense of occasion may be his career highlight.

only WA horses that gave an impression in WA that they're good enough for big G1's last year with a 90+ rating on mine were Scales of Justice and Vega Magic, i'll also include Rock Magic who scraped in. Chocolate Holic, Royal Star(injured) and Samovare really only other two with scope to reach that fringe level IMO. but answer on chocolate holic is already no.

Speaking of ratings, do you or anyone else know where i can find ratings for the following Cup winners:

Jezabeel, Rogan Josh, Brew and Ethereal?

Might be well off the mark here (hope not), but have a feeling that Seth might no longer be with us, literally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wheels falling off this thread fast, desperately need one of Lloyd's to chime in that we can all get behind and then get simultaneously disappointed.

#inlloydwetrust

Speaking of ratings, do you or anyone else know where i can find ratings for the following Cup winners:

Jezabeel, Rogan Josh, Brew and Ethereal?

Nope, official ratings only recently in vogue and I wouldn't trust Timeforms or other peoples publicly available ratings as far as I could throw them splitting hairs like that.

Nope, official ratings only recently in vogue and I wouldn't trust Timeforms or other peoples publicly available ratings as far as I could throw them splitting hairs like that.

I will try and find out im sure there are ratings around somewhere

I do remember Jezabeel being very strong through the line in the Caulfield Cup

Jezabeel ran 6th in the Caulfield Cup, she was polaxed by Taufan's Melody's jockey Ray Cockram in the straight.

Aiming at the Arc rather than Flemington though yes?

Who knows with Lloyd/Aiden running the show.

I think I've said it before but I wouldn't be touching OOSG Antepost until the plane landed.

Back