Michael Voss Q&A

Remove this Banner Ad

thanks PattyKisagun , nice of you to think of me.

quite encouraging comments about ace from vossy. i have been aware the lions have an offer on the table for the boy albiet a limited one but thats fair , the worrying thing is other teams showing interest. but comments like that from vossy will help to keep him a lion i reckon

Vossy's had a marked improvement in his media skills over the past three seasons. Good to see he is developing with the team.

Yep. That was one of the best interviews of Voss that I've read since his been coach, and certainly his best response in any media situation that I've seen/read/heard. A big improvement on previous years.

There is also a message there for DT/SC players.
Don't pick first year Lions players? I've known that one for a while. :D

I think it's more the case that Voss doesn't sit first-year players in the team for 10-week stints, in an on-ball role, than anything (it seems to be more a case of a handful of games at a time, in a peripheral role).

Despite his comments above, I reckon he's give quite a few first-year players time in the seniors in his tenure as coach.

thanks PattyKisagun , nice of you to think of me.

quite encouraging comments about ace from vossy. i have been aware the lions have an offer on the table for the boy albiet a limited one but thats fair , the worrying thing is other teams showing interest. but comments like that from vossy will help to keep him a lion i reckon

I'm quite sure he absolutely loves the club, so it'd be hard to see him leaving unless he was given an extraordinary offer.

I'm quite sure he absolutely loves the club, so it'd be hard to see him leaving unless he was given an extraordinary offer.

He had a chat to my Mum at the Gala Auction, and it was quite plain that the thought of leaving the Club upset him.

As much as I don't like seeing people upset (possible exceptions being Collingwood, Port, Melbourne, Hawthorn, Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast, Western Bulldogs, Fremantle, West Coast, Adelaide, St. Kilda, Geelong, Essendon, Richmond, North, Carlton and their respective supporters) it's nice to know that he cares about the Club so much.

He had a chat to my Mum at the Gala Auction, and it was quite plain that the thought of leaving the Club upset him.

As much as I don't like seeing people upset (possible exceptions being Collingwood, Port, Melbourne, Hawthorn, Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast, Western Bulldogs, Fremantle, West Coast, Adelaide, St. Kilda, Geelong, Essendon, Richmond, North, Carlton and their respective supporters) it's nice to know that he cares about the Club so much.

I ran into him at the Norman back in July and had a brief chat in which I got a similar vibe. Apparently he's supported the Lions most of his life, so was rapt to be drafted here.

It is also very clear what Voss thinks about the expectations on 1st year players. I liked reading that because I feel we place too much pressure on young blokes, particularly the high picks, to become overnight sensations.
I was enlightened by that interview. Gives me some clearer understanding of his philosophy.
In light of his comments on first year players, what an endorsement for Yeo and Crisp this year has been.

Very pointed by the Drummo/Staker read between the lines answer.

The non-answer/evasive response re Drummond in particular was interesting and the use of the word resilience was pointed. Sadly, I think Drummo is gone...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I read "Oh yeah,he'll be here;yeah,yeah,he'll be here" I immediately thought that he had "the full support of the board"

It did seem a little uncertain, but is the greatest showing of faith in Ace by a coach I've seen for some time.

Completely agree about how much his first year policy says about Yeo and Crisp. Clearly rates them very much.

Very pointed by the Drummo/Staker read between the lines answer.

Strange that it was a politician's non answer given that in about the 2nd question he talks about Staker (and 'berger) being like a draft pick for next year

Strange that it was a politician's non answer given that in about the 2nd question he talks about Staker (and 'berger) being like a draft pick for next year

I think his answer may have been more about Drummo, to be honest. Stakes is much more of an unknown quantity at the moment, and will remain that way until he's able to start training at full intensity again.

I was enlightened by that interview. Gives me some clearer understanding of his philosophy.
In light of his comments on first year players, what an endorsement for Yeo and Crisp this year has been.

Yeah, you get the impression that they are very happy if a 1st year player does anything at senior level.

I've thought it for a while, but I can't see Crisp not being elevated onto the senior list and IMO Voss's Q&A interview confirmed that for me. Sure there were games where I thought Crisp was ordinary, but overall, he is a very promising player with very good attributes who I think could become a very good AFL player.

I was also very pleased with the comments re: Cornelius and a lot more confident that he will still be at the Lions in 2013, acknowledging that anything can happen in the off-season.

I really liked the interview. It was a lot more candid then I expected and not obviously a PR disabled puff piece. Quite surprising considering it was AFL media doing the interview.

Hats off to Vossy and Mike Whiting.

It's good policy to not play first year players until they have met or exceeded expectations and sufficiently learned what is required of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back