Preview [NAB Challenge] Round 3 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm looking forward to seeing what Matt Shaw can produce. Thought he was pretty solid again the Eagles.

Should be an interesting game. Our preseason to date:
  • We thrashed a weak west coast side in SA with a strong team; then
  • narrowly lost to a strong Freo in WA with out best players missing (should have comfortably won but kicked terribly for goal)
I'm bullish about our preseason so far but you guys have looked good as well. Will be an interesting test with both teams playing close to full strength sides. It should give us a marker for the season proper with both sides looking for that 5 to 8 spot on the ladder.

Do you guys think Day did enough to stay in the team? I noticed handy marks and defensive work, that mark and goal was nice - but is that enough? Or is the time Wright

So assuming Lynchy and 2MP are our KPFs for Round 1, do we go with Currie or Daysie as the back-up assuming Tommy is our number one ruck? I reckon both will play next week with a Rd 1 berth the prize. Currie has been great (Zac who?) but Daysie gives us greater flexibility and mobility.

Do you guys think Day did enough to stay in the team? I noticed handy marks and defensive work, that mark and goal was nice - but is that enough? Or is the time Wright
Reading my mind Videon! 2MP in front for me - kicking more goals. His first half was excellent- runs to good spots and is looking ominous for a 19 year old.

2MP is miles ahead at the moment I think, and will only get better. Sam Day seems to have the better game as a whole, but Wright has one or two quarters of pure excellence, scoring 2 or 3 at a time. Day's defensive work seems superior to that of Wright, but they're two different players IMO.

Sam Day is the athletic forward swingman like Drew Petrie, while Wright is the brute full forward in the style of Riewoldt, Dixon, or Jono Brown.

2MP is miles ahead at the moment I think, and will only get better. Sam Day seems to have the better game as a whole, but Wright has one or two quarters of pure excellence, scoring 2 or 3 at a time. Day's defensive work seems superior to that of Wright, but they're two different players IMO.

Sam Day is the athletic forward swingman like Drew Petrie, while Wright is the brute full forward in the style of Riewoldt, Dixon, or Jono Brown.

Agree with this. This may be unpopular but I think they can both be in the 22. Wright as the stay at home forward who might take rucks in the forward 50 maybe and partner with Lynch. But Day can play any of forward, ruck or defence and his versatility could be very handy, even if we start him on the bench. That way we are covered if either a big goes down or there is a size mismatch at either end of the ground, and if not, we can just stretch the oppositions defence.

But it will be interesting to see how we line up in NAB3 with a few spots still seemingly open.

While I thought Wright performed better on the day (it was good to see Daysy fly and clunk a few marks and kick a goal), I did find it almost alarming how quick Wright faded in the second half. He was barely sighted in the fourth, but Day was still covering the ground well and getting to the contest.

Nothing against Wright of course, he's just a second year player. You can't expect him to be going up and back so much yet, but we can't go into games knowing he can't get to the right spots in quarters 3 and 4.

I'm sure those sorts of things weigh the decision up a bit.

Agree with this. This may be unpopular but I think they can both be in the 22. Wright as the stay at home forward who might take rucks in the forward 50 maybe and partner with Lynch. But Day can play any of forward, ruck or defence and his versatility could be very handy, even if we start him on the bench. That way we are covered if either a big goes down or there is a size mismatch at either end of the ground, and if not, we can just stretch the oppositions defence.

But it will be interesting to see how we line up in NAB3 with a few spots still seemingly open.
I'm leaning this way too. Good post!

While I thought Wright performed better on the day (it was good to see Daysy fly and clunk a few marks and kick a goal), I did find it almost alarming how quick Wright faded in the second half. He was barely sighted in the fourth, but Day was still covering the ground well and getting to the contest.

Nothing against Wright of course, he's just a second year player. You can't expect him to be going up and back so much yet, but we can't go into games knowing he can't get to the right spots in quarters 3 and 4.

I'm sure those sorts of things weigh the decision up a bit.
Wright was nowhere to be seen in the second half, and it was certainly noticeable. It makes me wonder why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the latest with Ablett? will he play NAB 3? will he be fit for round 1?
Eade has said Ablett doesn't need to play in the pre-season to be considered for Round 1. Not set in stone if he will play NAB3 yet.

How have you seen Hallahan's preseason so far? I assume with Swallow and O'Meara out of action for the medium term, there is an opportunity there for him. Do you think he plays round one?

How have you seen Hallahan's preseason so far? I assume with Swallow and O'Meara out of action for the medium term, there is an opportunity there for him. Do you think he plays round one?
With Jaeger and Swallow out, combined with limited rotations compared with last year, I'm pretty confident that he is a starter in our best 22. He and Lonergan will take the inside mid roles. When Lonergan went down in NAB2, Hallahan picked up the slack and carried the rest of the mids. We need them both IMO, which is why I'm positive he will start in round 1

I'm doubtful that on him being in the round 1 team. With the loss of Swallow and O'Meara, the battle was between Aaron Hall, Jesse Lonergan and Mitch Hallahan for those two spots. Those spots go to Hall and Lonergan for mine.

I guess will Eade wanting to field a full-strength side in the final NAB game, the chances of seeing Mackenzie Willis, Schoenfeld, Loersh and Jesse Joyce play any NAB is slim to none.

I'm doubtful that on him being in the round 1 team. With the loss of Swallow and O'Meara, the battle was between Aaron Hall, Jesse Lonergan and Mitch Hallahan for those two spots. Those spots go to Hall and Lonergan for mine.
So you don't think Aaron Hall is 'Best 22' with Swallow and O'Meara available?

so looking forward to this game and watching afl live again. seems like its been months..........wait a minute...............

The Adelaide hit-out will be a tough game as I reckon they are a genuine top 4 contender.

If the Crows dominate out of the centre it could get messy.

So you don't think Aaron Hall is 'Best 22' with Swallow and O'Meara available?

Nah, I just meant that Hall would be one of the best 18 starting on-ballers like Swallow would be. It was a pretty stupid analogy for me to make. I don't think Hallahan is really in the league of those two, and Hallahan would more likely be fighting with fringe players like Garlett or something. Not sure who to compare him to as all the fringe players I can think of a flankers or don't play Hallahan's position.

Basically what I'm trying to say is both Hall and Lonergan are in the best 22 and Hallahan isn't.

I just checked the BOM website for the weather on Friday.

Gold Coast area

Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers. Light winds becoming southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h during the morning

Range 22 - 29 celcius

Remove this Banner Ad

Back