Traded Nakia Cockatoo [traded to Brisbane for 2021 R3 (Melb)]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he will want Brisbane due to their medical team.

Pick in the 40s same as McCarthy I think but I'd rather keep him if we can.

Wouldn’t blame him if he goes there because they’re also significantly better than us but he just wanted good medical support I’m sure Melbourne could put a case forward with Burgess keeping us relatively injury free (touch wood) and getting Bennell on the park.

Something to consider, especially with the news about him possibly leaving the hub to be with his GF who is about to give berth to his first child.

I believe “someone can prove me wrong” that his GF is from Geelong/Victoria and I doubt he will be packing his bags and taking his young mother and child to another state. I am only saying this as he was very close with the Kelly family and obviously would’ve seen first hand how hard it was for them.

Now his Mrs might have family in another state and choose to go there but all I’m saying is there’s now more in play in his life and if this had been 2 years ago he wouldn’t have had anything holding him back from leaving.
Anyways, I’m hoping his over his issues and we get one good look at him next season and if not, Goodluck to him at a new club.
A team will take a punt with his talent

What is it with Geelong keeping players on the list for years on end only for them to leave cheaply?

Vardy, McCarthy, Menzel, Kersten, Mitch Brown... I'm surprised no one picked up Josh Cowan.

Would be a total kick in the nuts for Geelong if Cockatoo left and ended up playing 15-20 games next year.
Could easily name more, but honestly only 1 of them has become a regular in a team “McCarthy” and Vardy got the premiership he deserved to get but no one has hurt us since we’ve traded them for nothing

I was really high on him pre-draft (I wanted Collingwood to do Darcy Moore at #5, and Cockatoo at #10, instead we got De Geoy at #5, and Moore at #10) and thought he had real star potential.

Really hard to gauge where he's at, and what you'd get out of him at this stage. His ceiling has certainly come down a lot over the past few years.

If he can get on the park regularly and be a bigger bodied Travis Varcoe utility type, that's be a handy pick-up for a few clubs. Can't see him really doing well in a featured role, or commanding a high price (in contract or trade), though.

I'll add that if Cockatoo doesn't play a game in 2020 (unlikely at this stage, if he's not in the selection frame at the moment), it will be three years since his last AFL match by the time next seasons starts (last played Round 3, 2018). What can you really expect from a player in that situation?

His career averages are OK without being especially inspiring, even when stretched out to a more "normal" amount of gametime played:

1599274772011.png

I'd say he's coming from way further back than someone like Will Hoskin-Elliott (52 games in 5 years for GWS, after being the #4 pick in the 2011 National Draft), and even then I had massive doubts that WHE would ever get past his injury issues and achieve anything with a change of scenery.

I was really high on him pre-draft (I wanted Collingwood to do Darcy Moore at #5, and Cockatoo at #10, instead we got De Geoy at #5, and Moore at #10) and thought he had real star potential.

Really hard to gauge where he's at, and what you'd get out of him at this stage. His ceiling has certainly come down a lot over the past few years.

If he can get on the park regularly and be a bigger bodied Travis Varcoe utility type, that's be a handy pick-up for a few clubs. Can't see him really doing well in a featured role, or commanding a high price (in contract or trade), though.
He is nothing like Varcoe. Varcoe is outside and a beautiful kick. Cockatoo is a bit of a wrecking ball the way he plays. Was a smiling assassin and a real enforcer even as an 18 year old. His run on the outside is very aggressive with ball in hand and his defensive work is strong and will try and bury/hurt players when he can and has ragdolled some players and been suspended or the edge of suspension a few times. He can rush his disposal in a similar way to dangerfield

You can't judge him on his stats as he had never had any real continuity in his game with his injuries. Played midfield in his last game and got 15 disposals in about 48% game time. Finally was looking like we had a gun midfielder in the making. Then bang, another injury. He has played out of the goal square a few times and looks very dangerous there as well.

Has some jaw dropping moments of speed and strength. He has very rare attributes that will attract another club. I wish him well regardless of where he plays as he is genuinely exciting to watch. I think Geelong will look after him and let him go for peanuts if he wants another club

His run on the outside is very aggressive with ball in hand and his defensive work is strong and will try and bury/hurt players when he can and has ragdolled some players and been suspended or the edge of suspension a few times.

Really sounds like how Varcoe has been used at times at Collingwood TBH, when we were running him through the midfield 2-3 years ago, and at times with the Cats, too. They're both capable of doing a number of roles when fit, with Cockatoo having a size and strength advantage obviously.

I think the main issue with Cockatoo, whether he stays at Geelong or goes elsewhere, will be how he comes back from 2 1/2 - 3 years away from the top level, and whether he can stay fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll add that if Cockatoo doesn't play a game in 2020 (unlikely at this stage, if he's not in the selection frame at the moment), it will be three years since his last AFL match by the time next seasons starts (last played Round 3, 2018). What can you really expect from a player in that situation?

His career averages are OK without being especially inspiring, even when stretched out to a more "normal" amount of gametime played:

View attachment 953743

I'd say he's coming from way further back than someone like Will Hoskin-Elliott (52 games in 5 years for GWS, after being the #4 pick in the 2011 National Draft), and even then I had massive doubts that WHE would ever get past his injury issues and achieve anything with a change of scenery.

With any draftee - and we don't many high picks so someone like Cockatoo is prized by Geelong fans - there is the hope factor, until they get a solid exposure to AFL level and you realise you didn't draft Judd or Reiwoldt.

We have not seen enough yet to know so this one is hard for Geelong. He's done nothing at AFL level and hasn't played for years, but he hasn't played enough for reality to set in either.

With any draftee - and we don't many high picks so someone like Cockatoo is prized by Geelong fans - there is the hope factor, until they get a solid exposure to AFL level and you realise you didn't draft Judd or Reiwoldt.

We have not seen enough yet to know so this one is hard for Geelong. He's done nothing at AFL level and hasn't played for years, but he hasn't played enough for reality to set in either.

Fair comments. He's the type of guy you hang onto for that extra year or two, in the hope that he'll come good, as opposed to an obvious plodder like Josh Cowan.

He is nothing like Varcoe. Varcoe is outside and a beautiful kick. Cockatoo is a bit of a wrecking ball the way he plays. Was a smiling assassin and a real enforcer even as an 18 year old. His run on the outside is very aggressive with ball in hand and his defensive work is strong and will try and bury/hurt players when he can and has ragdolled some players and been suspended or the edge of suspension a few times. He can rush his disposal in a similar way to dangerfield

You can't judge him on his stats as he had never had any real continuity in his game with his injuries. Played midfield in his last game and got 15 disposals in about 48% game time. Finally was looking like we had a gun midfielder in the making. Then bang, another injury. He has played out of the goal square a few times and looks very dangerous there as well.

Has some jaw dropping moments of speed and strength. He has very rare attributes that will attract another club. I wish him well regardless of where he plays as he is genuinely exciting to watch. I think Geelong will look after him and let him go for peanuts if he wants another club
Sounds like a player the Blues need.

Would still take a chance on this lad if he was cheap enough but I think Geelong will give him a 1yr deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back