Recommitted Nathan Broad [signs 2 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been a really reliable contributor for us, we've see his best football though.

Would the WA teams who are both probably a few years away from a flag at least really benefit from taking a guy who will turn 31 next season? He just doesn't seem like someone that fits their profile and list. He's a 3rd tall defender, not exactly a key chess piece either.

He's been a really reliable contributor for us, we've see his best football though.

Would the WA teams who are both probably a few years away from a flag at least really benefit from taking a guy who will turn 31 next season? He just doesn't seem like someone that fits their profile and list. He's a 3rd tall defender, not exactly a key chess piece either.

Having won premierships brings with it a level of experience and flow on benefits greater than the player himself.

How much depends on the person (simply how good an example they provide), but a club like Freo that has few (if any?) premiership players around could use him as an example of the commitment and work rate required.

For example, I think Brandon Ellis's value to the Suns is more in his influence on those around him that what he himself does on field.

Turns 30 in 2 weeks time originally a WA boy and eagles after him as a free agent

109 games so far triple premiership player

But he’s been settled in Melbourne for awhile so could see another Victorian club go after him also
Reckon it will be unlikely he goes to another ther vic club unless they offer him a bucket load. Potentially only North who could do that with their cap, but I wouldn’t think they do.

It will be the lure of the WA clubs I think.
If he is offered a 3 year deal why wouldn’t he take it and move back home?

Been a great servant to our club though.
I’d offer him 2 years and see where he lands.

If he goes home, we would probably take the pick and wish him well. Would be nice for him to stay though.

Reckon it will be unlikely he goes to another ther vic club unless they offer him a bucket load. Potentially only North who could do that with their cap, but I wouldn’t think they do.

It will be the lure of the WA clubs I think.
If he is offered a 3 year deal why wouldn’t he take it and move back home?

Been a great servant to our club though.
I’d offer him 2 years and see where he lands.

If he goes home, we would probably take the pick and wish him well. Would be nice for him to stay though.

I doubt you'd get much of a pick for him.

31yo, smallish contract (as you indicated, issue would be more about duration than size)...you mightn't get anything.

31yo, smallish contract (as you indicated, issue would be more about duration than size)...you mightn't get anything.

Agreed. Similar to what Carlton got for Waite and Hawthorn for Clinton Young SFA.

Reckon the Tigers may just be happy delisting him for nothing.

Agreed. Similar to what Carlton got for Waite and Hawthorn for Clinton Young SFA.

Reckon the Tigers may just be happy delisting him for nothing.

See how he goes this year.

He's a good/solid role player who can cover a few tasks on the field and seems to be a popular club man. Assuming his form holds up (or at least that it doesn't drop off a cliff), If I was Richmond I'd definitely be offering him one year, and if there was some competition for his signature, I'd probably be willing to go two.

Probably one of those players whose value is higher (both ways) to stay at the club he's at. Only the go home factor might shift that, and I doubt that will matter THAT much.

Yeah that’s a likelihood. Who knows. Regardless of the pick we got or didn’t, preference would be to keep. But yeah, what do you do.

Turns 30 in 2 weeks time originally a WA boy and eagles after him as a free agent

109 games so far triple premiership player

But he’s been settled in Melbourne for awhile so could see another Victorian club go after him also
Cant imagine the eagles would be after him at all.
3/4 of our list are HBFers and we're nowhere near a climb back up the ladder where he may come in handy

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Criminally under rated. Can play short or tall, very good defensively and can find plenty of the ball, runs all day, good mark, good user. Would slot in for Hurn nicely and not cost eagles a pick for the rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Criminally under rated. Can play short or tall, very good defensively and can find plenty of the ball, runs all day, good mark, good user. Would slot in for Hurn nicely and not cost eagles a pick for the rebuild.

And when the rebuild is done and we contend he retires!

It is a very strange situation the Eagles being interested.

Makes little sense unless the Eagles have a player like Duggan, Rotham or Cole who want to move and they need to replace experience to help mentor the kids.

And when the rebuild is done and we contend he retires!

It is a very strange situation the Eagles being interested.

Makes little sense unless the Eagles have a player like Duggan, Rotham or Cole who want to move and they need to replace experience to help mentor the kids.
The rebuild won't be done for 5 years and probably won't be in contention for even longer. Free agency is the best way to bring in experience to mentor the kids and help win a few games along the way without compromising the draft.

The last thing you want is to finish last every year.

The rebuild won't be done for 5 years and probably won't be in contention for even longer. Free agency is the best way to bring in experience to mentor the kids and help win a few games along the way without compromising the draft.

The last thing you want is to finish last every year.

Contention for what?

Finals? A flag?

Eagles will be nudging top 8 by 2026 / 27. 3 to 4 more drafts and trade periods.

I'm all for FA moves. But not for 30 year olds. Invest 50 games into a 10 year player not someone who will retire in three years.

Contention for what?

Finals? A flag?

Eagles will be nudging top 8 by 2026 / 27. 3 to 4 more drafts and trade periods.

I'm all for FA moves. But not for 30 year olds. Invest 50 games into a 10 year player not someone who will retire in three years.
Fair enough. Depends if you want to try and remain somewhat competitive during a full rebuild I guess.
Footscray may as well have a nibble if they miss out on Doodee (another defender they are linked to)
Doubt he'd leave for any other side outside of WA and Freo would make even less sense than Eagles.

Fair enough. Depends if you want to try and remain somewhat competitive during a full rebuild I guess.

Doubt he'd leave for any other side outside of WA and Freo would make even less sense than Eagles.

Feel this move is being pushed by the player wanting to return home and play out their career.

List wise Freo makes more sense as they should be contending in the next 3 years. They just lost Logue and Hamling has been injured a fair bit who can play 3rd tall.

As for the Eagles being more competitive. Rather put games into Bazzo and Hough as 3rd defenders as they will be peaking in 3 to 4 years and output wise they will likely pass Broad over those three seasons 2024 to 27.

I think Broad sold his house in melbourne last year, and him and his partner are both from WA and want to move back there long term. If a contract/deal makes sense he'll probably move there for his last couple of years and do some media as well, if not he will play a couple more years at Richmond before going to WA post retirement

Gee, he's in your top 25% of earners?

It's very common for clubs to ensure the last year of the contract (the only one that matters for this) is within the top quarter of players paid for that year.

All since Frawley went unrestricted.

It's very common for clubs to ensure the last year of the contract (the only one that matters for this) is within the top quarter of players paid for that year.

All since Frawley went unrestricted.
He hit a trigger in his contract last year, so not sure that's the case here though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back