New Zealand vs Bangladesh (2 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ebadot became the first Bangladeshi pace bowler to achieve a Michelle in over 8 years. Given that his record prior to this test was 12 wickets at an average of 81, that's a remarkable effort. His average dropped to 63 after just one match.

Ebadot became the first Bangladeshi pace bowler to achieve a Michelle in over 8 years. Given that his record prior to this test was 12 wickets at an average of 81, that's a remarkable effort. His average dropped to 63 after just one match.
Down to 56.5

Which is 56 more than his batting average

Amazing win, so happy for the people of Bangladesh, that place would be going off right now.

Puts a real dent in the kiwis WTC chances now, they’ll be hoping for some more slow over rates elsewhere to sneak them in again

Disappointing to lose but credit to Bangladesh they outplayed us for most of the test and deserved their win, they're better than most people thought.

Hopefully we can bounce back with a better performance in Christchurch and level the series but it won't be easy as this test showed.
Test rain out and Bangladesh win the series :)

"We haven't done well in the past in New Zealand, but this team wants to do well here this time," Ebadot said. "We want to do better abroad, and there's no better place to start than here in New Zealand.

"We [the pacers] get a bit more support in the first two hours in away conditions. We are still learning how to bowl in home and away conditions. We are trying to reverse the ball when it gets old. We want to improve the pace bowling department by trying to bowl better in different conditions and with the new and old ball."

This is the best result for test cricket in recent memory. Just a wonderful result for Bangladesh to kick off the year.

Even though BJ was near the end I don't think some people knew what a downgrade Blundell would be.

It happens a lot. You go on a great run, have more than likely your best ever team, and you start really buying into the hype. You start believing your depth is better than it is. New guys come in during that run, a lot probably play well, you then think they'll just slot into the team like that when some of the older players leave.

You have taken the retirement of one keeper/player, in the result of one match, to generalise about quite a few things here in this comment.

Last edited:
Ravindra was actually pretty tidy with the ball. Not sure Ajaz would have done much better on this surface.

Ravindra also has the potential to be a great batsmen, he's not a bits and pieces cricketer, they're blooding him to be the next KW.

This is really interesting. I think they should maybe look to bring in Mitchell for the next match, their batting looked a bit wobbly here without Williamson (and given Latham's numbers as captain are very poor!) and Mitchell has good numbers so far and did quite well in India compared to the others.

I know people have suggested NZ weren't arrogant, but not picking Ajaz even in the squad did seem maybe to me like they were expecting a less difficult series against Bangladesh (and maybe get some games into Ravindra who hasn't set the world on fire yet). I find it hard to get much info on NZ cricket though so could be wrong here.

Damn just waking up to the scores..What a result for Bangladesh! Easily their best ever cricketing achievement. Really hope this spurs them on to become a better team in Test cricket. Joy Bangla!

That win must be even sweeter after all the slack they copped over their World T20 Performance. Pretty sure Russell Domingo the coach was a dead man walking going on this tour but you'd think it'd be hard to remove him now.

They need to be assertive now and basically tell Shakib he either needs to be fair dinkum about Test Cricket or let the team move on. Great player for Bangladesh but the team needs to grow and not have him wander in and out when he feels like it.

Loved the comments from the Team Director commenting on that great catch to remove Boult, said that particular player caught a stunner despite not even being able to catch the Flight to NZ on time, he missed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that this is in jest but all ultra green tops ever do is minimise the gap between pace attacks and batting line ups. As long as you have a few quicks who can land the ball on the seam, you can exploit a green top.

Reminds me of when India produced a spinner's paradise for the Pune test and found out the hard way that doing so completely closes the gap between a world class spinner in Ashwin and decent spinners like Lyon/O'Keefe. No coincidence that the rest of the pitches that series were completely flat.

Russell Degnan (@idlesummers) Tweeted:
Per my ratings, when Bangladesh win this, it will be the biggest upset in the history of Test cricket (a 0.038% or 1 in 2661 chance).
The previous biggest upset was England over West Indies in 1990 (a 0.159% or 1 in 629 chance)

Russell Degnan (@idlesummers) Tweeted:
Per my ratings, when Bangladesh win this, it will be the biggest upset in the history of Test cricket (a 0.038% or 1 in 2661 chance).
The previous biggest upset was England over West Indies in 1990 (a 0.159% or 1 in 629 chance)

Who?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back