List Mgmt. Next club to face a rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks mate for giving me a great example.

"I don't think we've been poor since then"
View attachment 1973403

Yes.

Yes you were.

Thanks for misquoting me - read it again please. I don't think we were a poor club.

You've missed the point of my post. Poor clubs need full rebuilds. In 2016-2020 we were average on field (which was reflective of our young squad), but the foundations of being a decent club were there. Which I'm assuming why all our key players chose to stay. All of Cripps, Doch, Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Walsh etc never cracked the sads and left. The only player we 'lost' was Gibbs who was in the back end of his career to chase success. We also attracted plenty of players too. Doesn't sound like a poorly run club to me.

Why is it that all the well-run clubs don't need full rebuilds? Geelong, Collingwood, Sydney - to an extent Port & GWS too.

After 20 years of hearing this eventually it will happen …just not anytime soon as we have turned over the list again with promising youth

Of course as I said, eventually it happens to all clubs at some point in time and it will happen to Geelong. Just a matter of when but it will happen at some state.

Thanks for misquoting me - read it again please. I don't think we were a poor club.

You've missed the point of my post. Poor clubs need full rebuilds. In 2016-2020 we were average on field (which was reflective of our young squad), but the foundations of being a decent club were there. Which I'm assuming why all our key players chose to stay. All of Cripps, Doch, Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Walsh etc never cracked the sads and left. The only player we 'lost' was Gibbs who was in the back end of his career to chase success. We also attracted plenty of players too. Doesn't sound like a poorly run club to me.

Why is it that all the well-run clubs don't need full rebuilds? Geelong, Collingwood, Sydney - to an extent Port & GWS too.
didn't carlton finish last in 2018? that's not really 'average' lol. that's actually 'bad'.

Unfortunately it will be little old North again when LDU and Zurhaar walk out on them and the cycle continues. Who saw this coming? :think:

No idea who convinced Sheezel and Larkey to hang around for another 7 years but their managers have blood on their hands for ruining two promising careers.

didn't carlton finish last in 2018? that's not really 'average' lol. that's actually 'bad'.

Yeah I meant average as in bad - it's a figure of speech. We were rebuilding, but I don't think we were a poor club. We had a shithouse 22 running out each week.

If you pull the question to ‘who is going to go hardest in this draft’ it will be Richmond. Assuming Baker goes at a pretty high price, our band 1 compensation will be pick 4 currently.

That gives us pick 3 and 4. We also have 3 second rounders (two early, one late second round) and a whole bunch of 3rd and forth rounders to trade for academy/father son points.

2 top 5 picks with some combination of 3 top 30 picks.

Next 3 drafts before Tassie arrive is crucial.

If you pull the question to ‘who is going to go hardest in this draft’ it will be Richmond. Assuming Baker goes at a pretty high price, our band 1 compensation will be pick 4 currently.

That gives us pick 3 and 4. We also have 3 second rounders (two early, one late second round) and a whole bunch of 3rd and forth rounders to trade for academy/father son points.

2 top 5 picks with some combination of 3 top 30 picks.

Next 3 drafts before Tassie arrive is crucial.

Baker isn’t a free agent so there will be no compo picks. He will fetch Richmond something between 10-20. You just have to hope he chooses the Dockers.

No idea who convinced Sheezel and Larkey to hang around for another 7 years but their managers have blood on their hands for ruining two promising careers.
Some players prefer money to flags, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you're getting paid fantastically even while you're young in your career, there will still be the possibility of chasing a flag in your twilight years through free agency.

Some players prefer money to flags, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you're getting paid fantastically even while you're young in your career, there will still be the possibility of chasing a flag in your twilight years through free agency.

And of course the option is there to ask for a trade befor the contract expires.

Unfortunately it will be little old North again when LDU and Zurhaar walk out on them and the cycle continues. Who saw this coming? :think:

Same could have been said about Cripps.
He was at a club that for many years was going nowhere fast.

I guarantee you are glad he stayed loyal.
Good on the Nth players for doing the same thing.

Cripps signing for 7 years as a 2nd year player at Carlton would’ve been extremely stupid.

While I agree with the sentiment I'd say (without knowing anything about either Sheez or Larkey personally) that Cripps was more of a leader and an inspiring figure. He was our great white hope in the dark ages that he'd be able to turn the ship around. I don't get that impression from Sheezel or Larkey, they aren't really 'inspiring' players, just very very good ones.

Same thing with Marc Murphy, brilliant player at his best... But he wasn't the same type of leader that Cripps or Judd were.

Right now I'm not sure who, other than perhaps Wardlaw, is going to be that player for them. Larkey will be in his 30s before they are back up and about if things go well... That's a tough sell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They both want to turn the club around these are the types we need.

Not the players who run off for success.

As a left field pick, Brisbane?
Its possible especially in having a poor year at the moment while having an older squad. Neale, Daniher, Cameron, Zorko, Oscar, etc are still so important to the team and are all about 30+

But we have a few advantages that might save us from a full rebuild:
  • We still have a bunch of younger to middle age guys who should be around for a while like McCluggage, Andrews, Payne, Hipwood, Rayner, Coleman. Thats maybe enough of a core to work around
  • F/S luck has struck us big time in Ashcroft*2 and Fletcher
  • Our academy is not giving us superstars but it seems to be giving us a decent pipeline of at least role players. We look to have 4 or 5 options over the next few years that we get slightly cheaper (pending changes to the points/bidding system)
If we can nail a Free Agent or somehow find a replacement key forward to build around we might be able to avoid a full rebuild. Might have a down year or 2 but be able to restock off that

North, Hawks and Eagles are all several years into rebuilding, Richmond started very recently so could still be in a bit of trouble when Tassie come in. Adelaide look shaky but reckon they might bounce back. Collingwood could be but will attract top talent. That really leaves Brisbane, who could be helped by their academy, and Port Adelaide as potentially the most poorly timed. North could be forced back to the drawing board if they bleed players, same with the Hawks as some of their high draft picks don't seem to have come on. Reckon teams like the Saints and Bombers might be stuck in mid-table purgatory.

Rebuilds are a myth. It's just an excuse for being s**t. Geelong has proven that.

Despite the start of their season Geelong feels like North Melbourne in 2016 to me where they won their first 9 games of the season but eventually sort of ended up a step or two behind the top teams. I remember a lot of people being sceptical of North even after those 9 wins (North fans were not happy at people still not rating them) but there was something just a bit off about the team, something that just made it feel like they were not the real deal. I get that feeling with Geelong this year.

Despite the start of their season Geelong feels like North Melbourne in 2016 to me where they won their first 9 games of the season but eventually sort of ended up a step or two behind the top teams. I remember a lot of people being sceptical of North even after those 9 wins (North fans were not happy at people still not rating them) but there was something just a bit off about the team, something that just made it feel like they were not the real deal. I get that feeling with Geelong this year.
No. North never had the quality of tope end player that Geelong has.

Maybe but Hawkins is a shadow of his former self, Dangerfield is picking up injuries and all it will take is a few more injuries to really hurt Geelong.

Not saying it will happen but I don't think Geelong could win the flag without Cameron.

You could say the same about most teams without their absolute best player though especially if that best player is probably an undisputed top 5-6 player in the competition.

You could say the same about most teams without their absolute best player though especially if that best player is probably an undisputed top 5-6 player in the competition.

Possibly, but I feel like Cameron is more important to Geelong than most other teams best players are to them.

If Carlton lost their best player I think they would still be in very good shape to win the flag, same with GWS, but with Geelong I am not so sure.

You are just doubling down on your thesis that a couple of experts predicting Geelong could make the top 4 this season was one of the most baffling things you've ever heard.

At the very least you'd have to admit that was a foolish call fairly soon.

Next it was not beating any team of note. It'll be interesting to see if there is backtracking on that call if Geelong beat any of Melbourne, Port, GWS and Gold Coast (Darwin makes that one tough) during this tough run. The Carlton game didn't change it (you said they played better but somehow Geelong just couldn't stop scoring).

Also, despite a few injuries to veterans this season has so far been MUCH better for injuries due to lack of freakish/collision injuries to under 30s. You pretty much guaranteed a horror injury run repeating 2023 would occur again.

So there is a lot you have gotten wrong unless things dramatically shift soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back