In his scenario...

Bid = pick 32 = 584pts

We require 584 - 197 = 384pts to match

Pick 46 = 331pts -> This pick moves up to #32
384 - 331 = 53pts still owing

Pick 56 = 194 pts
194 - 53 = 141
Pick #56 moves back to pick 61, which is worth 135 pts

With pick 56 having moved back, pick 59 is shuffled up 1 position, and becomes pick 58.

End result:
46 -> 32
56 -> 61
59 -> 58

So yes, pick 59 does get shuffled up, due to pick 56 being shuffled back. The movement of pick 46, to 32, shuffles picks 32-45, but has no impact on pick 56 or 59.
That’s some good work there ..

But given he said “given the surplus” he’s surely saying pick 59 moves up because of left over points, not it moves up as picks move out.

Your example is correct, I just don’t think that’s what he’s saying.

But given he said “given the surplus” he’s surely saying pick 59 moves up because of left over points, not it moves up as picks move out.

I read "surplus" as in "we have more picks than we need, to achieve the points required".

Yeah Sydney’s drafting has been pretty good like you say, obviously boosted by being gifted academy players of the ilk of Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Gulden, Campbell etc.

They have also picked a few top end busts like Matthew Ling and Dylan Stephens. No drafting strategy is foolproof, no team nails every pick, and all kids develop at different rates.

I disagree with that about Keeler. I’ve seen him turn games and single handedly influence the result of games. His first final against Norwood, his first 10 mins of the second half completely turned the game, he was physically monstering kids and ended up with like 7 tackles.
Out of curiosity I checked his stats and nearly half of his marks are contested, contrary to what is being reported on bigfooty in regards to crashing packs and lack of contested marks. All of these criticisms are really overblown. He’s perfectly capable of anything on a footy field, his issue is just what I would describe as consistency of effort. Could be influenced by his tank.

At the end of the day he’s 18 years old, why is he expected to be the finished product? I would be concerned if he was, would mean no upside. A lot of finished product key forwards get taken in the top 10 and end up underwhelming.

Draft a team purely on gut running and effort and you end up with a team of McHenrys and David Mackays. Give me some X Factor, it’s why I watch footy.
What’s funny is that if we don’t make another list spot and he falls past 40, we won’t be picking him up anyway. This is realistic

Yeah it’s not worded well, I read it as you’ve read it in that the surplus points are added onto the existing pick and that pick shuffles forward.

But Vader has explained it well

Yeah it’s not worded well, I read it as you’ve read it in that the surplus points are added onto the existing pick and that pick shuffles forward.

But Vader has explained it well
No... surplus points aren't "added" to anything. The "surplus" points from 56 are not "added" to 59.

The shuffling forward happens because one of the earlier picks gets moved backwards, after some of its points are required for matching the bid.

No.. but we can make some.
It’s got to done before the draft right? I don’t understand why we haven’t put Seedsman on the rookie list due to the concussion issues. Fell sorry for him and he may need more time to get better.
On the other side, we need to make space in case the draft works out differently and we then have the option to draft a good player before max or even keeper if he slides. It just makes sense to cover all the bases

It’s got to done before the draft right? I don’t understand why we haven’t put Seedsman on the rookie list due to the concussion issues. Fell sorry for him and he may need more time to get better.
On the other side, we need to make space in case the draft works out differently and we then have the option to draft a good player before max or even keeper if he slides. It just makes sense to cover all the bases
There is a period between national draft and Rookie draft where we can ugrade and downgrade. So we currently we have 2 spots. Butts and Strachan not yet upgraded. We can den use our three picks Max and two more. Then upgrade Strachan and Butts and downgrade Seedsman and another to Rookie list.

There is a period between national draft and Rookie draft where we can ugrade and downgrade. So we currently we have 2 spots. Butts and Strachan not yet upgraded. We can den use our three picks Max and two more. Then upgrade Strachan and Butts and downgrade Seedsman and another to Rookie list.
Are we positive that this is so (I'm not either way)?

Article on AFL website says:
"Delisted players cannot immediately be re-contracted by their clubs on rookie contracts as has happened previously and must instead go through the NAB AFL Rookie Draft on November 30 to achieve this."

There is a post draft free agent window, but it is silent on delisting/ list lodgement.

They could make this stuff a fair bit clearer with only a small amount of effort . . .

Are we positive that this is so (I'm not either way)?

Article on AFL website says:
"Delisted players cannot immediately be re-contracted by their clubs on rookie contracts as has happened previously and must instead go through the NAB AFL Rookie Draft on November 30 to achieve this."

There is a post draft free agent window, but it is silent on delisting/ list lodgement.

They could make this stuff a fair bit clearer with only a small amount of effort . . .

They will, however, be able to shift players on the senior list to the rookie list in the time between the national and rookie drafts if the player is contracted for 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The window for moving players from the senior list to the rookie list is 1 hour, on 29 November, between the ND and RD.

The window hasn't opened yet.

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The window for moving players from the senior list to the rookie list is 1 hour, on 29 November, between the ND and RD.

The window hasn't opened yet.

But doing that doesn't get us another pick in the ND cos it's an hour too late. It gets us a pick in the preseason draft.

But doing that doesn't get us another pick in the ND cos it's an hour too late. It gets us a pick in the preseason draft.

We also don't upgrade anyone until that same period. We have enough list spots at this current time to take 2 draft picks. However, we need to upgrade after the draft, so will need to move someone to the rookie list at the same time. If we only take 1 pick, we don't need to move anyone.

We also don't upgrade anyone until that same period. We have enough list spots at this current time to take 2 draft picks. However, we need to upgrade after the draft, so will need to move someone to the rookie list at the same time. If we only take 1 pick, we don't need to move anyone.
Ah yep, that makes sense. I was counting those upgrades as effectively already done, but your quite right, it's not officially done until that same window.

The window is simultaneous with the rookie upgrades. This means that it gives us the flexibility to use 1-3 draft picks, balancing the numbers after the ND.

While we can't draft Welsh until 2024, we should be able to get him into our SANFL team during 2024 under current rules so it would almost be like drafting him next year.
Not if he plays SANFL League for WWT in 2024 which is well and truly on the cards.

Not if he plays SANFL League for WWT in 2024 which is well and truly on the cards.
Hmm... bummer, though it's 2023 we have to worry about? I imagine we'd try to get him for 2024 if he hasn't played for WWT seniors next year. Wonder what chance we might have of getting him to not play league next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back