Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 83 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 277 76.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably because no one could get near him? Gutless little diving worm had eyes in the back of his head

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
778 goals - 781 behinds

1500 shots at goal. Always put his head over the ball to gather. Just too quick and agile and smart to be caught.

You’re a disgrace bagging KB…he is a true champion in every sense of the word.

3C61DC27-F8A2-4304-9115-FAB17ED835D2.png

Hardly an extreme or feeding into the dichotomy that you clearly are.

One side says he’s GOAT - the extreme opposite is far from what I’m saying.

He’s a nice player - could well be in votes for collecting 30 possessions last night.

He really had minimal influence on winning/turning the game though.

He a nice player at this stage & that is all.

Reminds me of a few * players who like to get ball & not put body on the line.

Nah, you're well off the mark. He's been off his best this season so far, but he's a lot more than a "nice" player and he certainly impacts games.

He's an All Australian, came third in the Brownlow, came third in the Coaches MVP, came second in the players MVP.

With that many votes in the players' MVP, I can guarantee a hell of a lot of players - including many Carlton players - rated him in the top 3 players in the league last year.

So, "a nice player and that is all". You don't really know what you're talking about, you're just trying to talk him down.

Goes to show how many Collingwood games you watched if you believe the only game he was tagged in was the Hawthorn game....
From memory there were 3 occasions. Lachie Jones (LMAO Hinkley), Ryan Clarke and Finn Maginness. Other teams made sure to make him earn his possessions but no proper tags involved.

This is why last year every club had him as the first player from Collingwood they need to stop because he didn't hurt teams.
Stupid comment.
The thing with Daicos, is that he needs someone to give it to him, and he needs someone to give it to.

That's just the role he plays, and what he is suited to.

Last year he had both, and he was brilliant in that role. He enabled Collinwood.

This year, so far, he hasn't really had anyone giving him the ball - which has naturally reduced his influence and output.

But even in games where he has been fed the ball, his influence with it has been minimal. This comes back to the 'needs someone to give it to' part. Collingwood aren't playing well, and aren't running and spreading like last year. Daicos' Disposals as a result have largely been meaningless and certainly haven't been hurting the opposition.

None of this is neccessarily a criticism of him - just an observation.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised if he's carrying something. He doesn't quite seem to be moving as freely this year.

The thing with Daicos, is that he needs someone to give it to him, and he needs someone to give it to.

That's just the role he plays, and what he is suited to.

Last year he had both, and he was brilliant in that role. He enabled Collinwood.

This year, so far, he hasn't really had anyone giving him the ball - which has naturally reduced his influence and output.

But even in games where he has been fed the ball, his influence with it has been minimal. This comes back to the 'needs someone to give it to' part. Collingwood aren't playing well, and aren't running and spreading like last year. Daicos' Disposals as a result have largely been meaningless and certainly haven't been hurting the opposition.

None of this is neccessarily a criticism of him - just an observation.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised if he's carrying something. He doesn't quite seem to be moving as freely this year.

Daicos needs someone to give it to him is right but not exactly right. More precisely, he needs 21 someones to give it to him every single chance they get, otherwise he is just more or less what Darcy Byrne-Jones used to be.

He even had me a little bit fooled before he was exposed as a physical liability when the Pies ludicrously tried to re-purpose him as an inside mid.

This is why last year every club had him as the first player from Collingwood they need to stop because he didn't hurt teams.
Stupid comment.
No way he’s the first player they want to stop.

Degoey is without doubt - he sets the tone.

Nick gets his 20-30 each week win lose or draw.

Mostly lose in your case :).

Nah, you're well off the mark. He's been off his best this season so far, but he's a lot more than a "nice" player and he certainly impacts games.

He's an All Australian, came third in the Brownlow, came third in the Coaches MVP, came second in the players MVP.

With that many votes in the players' MVP, I can guarantee a hell of a lot of players - including many Carlton players - rated him in the top 3 players in the league last year.

So, "a nice player and that is all". You don't really know what you're talking about, you're just trying to talk him down.
Stats are for suckers.

Impact & influence makes a GOAT.

Plenty of accumulators have won awards - not always the most influential.

He needs a little hardness.

Let’s call it THE ESSENDON EDGE!

Stats are for suckers.

Impact & influence makes a GOAT.

Plenty of accumulators have won awards - not always the most influential.

He needs a little hardness.

Let’s call it THE ESSENDON EDGE!

Who said anything about stats? It's the coaches and players judging him.

It's pretty clear from your posts that you now know you've said some pretty stupid stuff that was well off the mark.

Who said anything about stats? It's the coaches and players judging him.

It's pretty clear from your posts that you now know you've said some pretty stupid stuff that was well off the mark.
You’ve got a lot of skin in the game mate.

Unlike your beloved Dons ;).

Every poster (except you for some reason) who’s not a Collingwood supporter agreed that Nicks a nice player who racks them up & falls well short when he needs to body the contest.

You’ve got a lot of skin in the game mate.

Unlike your beloved Dons ;).

Every poster (except you for some reason) who’s not a Collingwood supporter agreed that Nicks a nice player who racks them up & falls well short when he needs to body the contest.

I'm just more intelligent, which admittedly isn't a high bar to clear. You said Daicos doesn't hurt teams which is laughable. Just as laughable as saying he will be the GOAT.

The AFL coaches and players clearly disagree. You just have no idea what you're talking about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just more intelligent, which admittedly isn't a high bar to clear. You said Daicos doesn't hurt teams which is laughable. Just as laughable as saying he will be the GOAT.

The AFL coaches and players clearly disagree. You just have no idea what you're talking about.
I can see you’re emotional.

Intelligent … not so much.

Have a great Easter :)

Every team needs them. Skilled outside magicians. He is a gun he also shits his pants regularly. Some of the most ardent Pies fans I know even agree on it. Will it ruin his legacy at the end of his career ? No. Will it be the GOAT ? Probably not.

I loved Lewis Jetta at the Swans as his ball use and speed were elite but even though he had those elite abilities I was never blind to his flaws as a player either. We were never going to try and make Jetta an inside mid.

I strongly believe the kick out should not count as a stat, nor the metres gained as a result as it is kind of cheating.

That or it can be its own separate stat.
Doesn’t even need to be a stat. A team kicks 13 behinds it’s 13 opposition kick outs no matter who takes them. We have gone down the NBA path with inventing stats that are not necessary. Analytical BS.

No way he’s the first player they want to stop.

Degoey is without doubt - he sets the tone.

Nick gets his 20-30 each week win lose or draw.

Mostly lose in your case :).
What an even more stupid comment.

My post read "last year he was the first player the opposition tried to stop"
Now seeing as we won the flag last year, stating mostly lose, is just pure Carlton envious stupidity.

Thanks for playing though.

He has only been tagged a few times in his career . I don't think he hurts teams as much as you think he does
The best way to put it, is how I explained my thought in the Tom Hawkins thread.

He makes those around him better.

He hurts teams with his disposal because he uses it well and places our team in a better position when he has it.
Hence hurting the other team.

Now I know you and others like the contested beasts but usually when they get the ball and blaze away, it mostly comes back over their heads.

Looks great and powerful but not particularly effective, compared to how Nick uses the ball.

But hey, we are glad we have him and I am sure you are glad you have a 21yo as good as him.
Oh wait...:think:

Or not :D :thumbsu:

What an even more stupid comment.

My post read "last year he was the first player the opposition tried to stop"
Now seeing as we won the flag last year, stating mostly lose, is just pure Carlton envious stupidity.

Thanks for playing though.
Given over 70% of games Daicos has played in have been wins, I wonder what the perception of a player who only won 35% of the games they have played in (referencing Carlton's fearless leader) would be?

Given over 70% of games Daicos has played in have been wins, I wonder what the perception of a player who only won 35% of the games they have played in (referencing Carlton's fearless leader) would be?
"A selfish player who tries to do it all on his own" is one possible perception

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The best way to put it, is how I explained my thought in the Tom Hawkins thread.

He makes those around him better.

He hurts teams with his disposal because he uses it well and places our team in a better position when he has it.
Hence hurting the other team.

Now I know you and others like the contested beasts but usually when they get the ball and blaze away, it mostly comes back over their heads.

Looks great and powerful but not particularly effective, compared to how Nick uses the ball.

But hey, we are glad we have him and I am sure you are glad you have a 21yo as good as him.
Oh wait...:think:

Or not :D :thumbsu:
So you’re saying he’s like Dylan Shiel …nothing but a receiver off others courageous hard work ..exempt from tackling duties …but a better kicker of the ball?

Back