Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 121 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 315 72.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One was playing midfield getting tagged every second game in a rubbish side, the other had only just moved from playing as a loose half back flanker with almost 0 opposition attention each week in the top side. We also then got to see what happens when Nick gets tagged by a competent opponent in Rd 21 when he came up against Finn Maginness... Think everyone agreed it was rather embarrassing for young Nicky boy.

So yeah... Marcus Bontempelli in 2023. Isaac Heeney in 2024.
Nah, you've played your hand, and you've been found wanting.

Seems there's one rule for Nick Daicos, and another rule for every other player in the comp, when it comes to your player rankings....

All good. I know it's a bitter pill to swallow.

Nah, you've played your hand, and you've been found wanting.

Seems there's one rule for Nick Daicos, and another rule for every other player in the comp, when it comes to your player rankings....

All good. I know it's a bitter pill to swallow.
Which season has Nicky been the clear number 1 player in the competition? The answer is none.

Theres so much stupid in this post it's hard to even respond.

Generally the best player in the competition is... you know... The player playing the best footy that season...

But regardless, Bont was the best performed player in 2023, Heeney is the best performed so far in 2024.

Nick has been the best player in the comp for a grand total of 0 seasons.
This is surely a take, GOATcos was the best player last season before injury struck him down, Bont even said so himself as did Neale after winning the Brownlow.

One was playing midfield getting tagged every second game in a rubbish side, the other had only just moved from playing as a loose half back flanker with almost 0 opposition attention each week in the top side. We also then got to see what happens when Nick gets tagged by a competent opponent in Rd 21 when he came up against Finn Maginness... Think everyone agreed it was rather embarrassing for young Nicky boy.

So yeah... Marcus Bontempelli in 2023. Isaac Heeney in 2024.
Yeah that one game sample defined Daicos' year. Not being the best half back/outside player in the league for half a season, dominating with a move up to midfield and then returning to be a crucial difference in two desperately close knockout finals to secure a premiership.

But the Maginness tag - a thing of beauty for sure.

Get your hand off it.

This is surely a take, GOATcos was the best player last season before injury struck him down, Bont even said so himself as did Neale after winning the Brownlow.
So was Aaron Hall that one time... Bontempelli was statistically better in nearly every metric despite playing in a poorer side and getting tagged far more often than Naicos.

So was Aaron Hall that one time... Bontempelli was statistically better in nearly every metric despite playing in a poorer side and getting tagged far more often than Naicos.
troll GIF

There's so much tripe written in this thread. Seriously Daicos COULD be the GOAT by the end of his career and on performance's so far suggest that he is improving year on year. People comparing him to Bont, Heeney or even Walsh is crazy considering the age difference.

I don't think he is the best player at the moment but what he's done for a kid is unbelievable. In just his second year he was smashing the brownlow count until he got injured, starred in a premiership and amazed all us Pies supporters.

I don't care if people rate him or not, just happy he's playing for Collingwood and love how he goes about it.

There's so much tripe written in this thread. Seriously Daicos COULD be the GOAT by the end of his career and on performance's so far suggest that he is improving year on year. People comparing him to Bont, Heeney or even Walsh is crazy considering the age difference.

I don't think he is the best player at the moment but what he's done for a kid is unbelievable. In just his second year he was smashing the brownlow count until he got injured, starred in a premiership and amazed all us Pies supporters.

I don't care if people rate him or not, just happy he's playing for Collingwood and love how he goes about it.
This is what a poster with a brain and self awareness would post.

This thread is unfortunately the result of the opposite.

Somebody explain to us how Biscuit fingers was better than Bontempelli in 2023 and is currently better than Heeney in 2024 using some actual statistics... Not "he was leading an award before he wasn't" or "someone said he was one time on the radio etc"...

Please, entertain us.

Which season has Nicky been the clear number 1 player in the competition? The answer is none.
Don't let the lack of there being any such award for clear number 1 player or standardized measure to determine who it is get in the way of saying its the guy from my team. I need everyone to say the best words about my team or we gonna settle this the good old fashioned tsunami of subjective and cherry picked statistical supporting evidence arguments for the next few pages, guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the type of season which would exemplify what most would call 'being the clear best player in the competition'

Lets take a look at Dustin Martin's 2017:

- AFL Players Association MVP (Leigh Matthews trophy)

- The AFL Coaches Association champion player of the year award

- All Australian selection (his second)

- Brownlow medal

- Premiership medal

- Norm Smith medal

- Gary Ayres Medal for best performer in the finals series

When has Nicky done this?

This is the type of season which would exemplify what most would call 'being the clear best player in the competition'

- Brownlow medal

- Premiership medal

- Norm Smith medal

If you look at the things Nick Daicos has done, and base a criteria around them, he ticks all the boxes verrrrry nicely, thank you very much. I'm sure Richmond fans will try to argue that list of encouragement awards somehow stacks up against a different list without lots of those things, which is why I know my girlfriend is hotter than theirs and has huge cannons, losers.

If you look at the things Nick Daicos has done, and base a criteria around them, he ticks all the boxes verrrrry nicely, thank you very much. I'm sure Richmond fans will try to argue that list of encouragement awards somehow stacks up against a different list without lots of those things, which is why I know my girlfriend is hotter than theirs and has huge cannons, losers.
Yes I'm sure Nick Daicos coming runners up in a few awards and being statistically inferior in nearly every way possible to Bontempelli in 2023 ticks a lot of boxes 'verrrrry nicely'.

Unfortunately for Nicky boy there's a big difference between almost being the best and being the best.

Yes I'm sure Nick Daicos coming runners up in a few awards and being statistically inferior in nearly every way possible to Bontempelli in 2023 ticks a lot of boxes 'verrrrry nicely'.

Unfortunately for Nicky boy there's a big difference between almost being the best and being the best.
Yet in his second season he still got closer than Walsh ever has, and had two finals better than any of Cripps', resulting in a premiership for his club that they were not winning without him last year. Best player in a premiership team, aged 20? Tick.

Salty flogs protest otherwise.

Goddam it. But what if I like the good players on my team more? It's going to feel empty knowing you looked at numbers that were mean to Nick :(

Yet in his second season he still got closer than Walsh ever has, and had two finals better than any of Cripps', resulting in a premiership for his club that they were not winning without him last year. Best player in a premiership team, aged 20? Tick.

Salty flogs protest otherwise.
Very insulting to Daics these days to compare him to losers like Spudfoot Walsh and Lookatme Cripps

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

- Brownlow medal

- Premiership medal

- Norm Smith medal

The main difference is Martin was 26-27 or so when he did this. Daicos is in his third year and Martin was no where near Daicos at similar stage of their careers.

Clearly Daicos hasn't had a year better than what Martin did yet. But on current projections, I have little doubt he will barring some injury.

Walsh was better than Martin in the first years of his career. There isn't a team in the AFL who wouldn't be scrambling for Naicos signature when he's out of contract. Luckily we've locked him away for awhile.

- Brownlow medal

- Premiership medal

- Norm Smith medal

Season 2023

AFL Coaches - Leading prior to injury ✅
ALL AUS - ✅ - Rover
BROWNLOW - Leading prior to injury✅
PREMIERSHIP - ✅
NORM - ❌ 3rd in voting
GARY AYRES - Missed a game due to injury so not relevant
MVP - Assume leading like other 2 main awards prior to injury ✅

Was 2017 Dusty’s 2nd season in the AFL or was it his 8th.

I think by GOATcos’ 8th season he would of fully met your lists criteria probably 3 or 4 times

Season 2023

AFL Coaches - Leading prior to injury ✅
ALL AUS - ✅ - Rover
BROWNLOW - Leading prior to injury✅
PREMIERSHIP - ✅
NORM - ❌ 3rd in voting
GARY AYRES - Missed a game due to injury so not relevant
MVP - Assume leading like other 2 main awards prior to injury ✅

Was 2017 Dusty’s 2nd season in the AFL or was it his 8th.

I think by GOATcos’ 8th season he would of fully met your lists criteria probably 3 or 4 times
Also need to factor in the fact he wouldn't have been playing at the time had those games not been Preliminary/Grand Finals.

Interesting the comparison is with Martin, as we've seen how quickly his performance drops off when he's not 100% fit...

Back