Nicky Winmar to take legal action against Newman, Scott and Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Phew! When I first saw the headline I thought Eddie was going to be dragged into it. Foolish of Newman, Scott and Sheahan to come out and claim the Winmar gesture was for a different reason than what it actually was.

St Kilda great Nicky Winmar and photographer Wayne Ludbey are reportedly set to take Sam Newman, Don Scott and Mike Sheahan to court after the trio claimed the indigenous star's iconic act in 1993 at Victoria Park was not due to being racially vilified.

ESPN is reporting that Winmar and Ludbey have engaged the services of the high powered law firm Arnold Bloch Leibler, with a long history of dealing in reconciliation, meeting this week to defend the truth of their account of events at Victoria Park on April 17, 1993.

Ludbey:

"This is a strategic thing on the behalf of them to make money by kicking Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, because they believe they can't fight back.

"There's no grey area in this - they knew what they were doing."

Update:

Last edited by a moderator:

I recall this vividly

The Sunday Sun the next day showed the photo and ran with the caption of Winmar with the line "we won it on guts"

The rest of the media reported his real intention after being subject to abuse from Pies fans during the game.

Sun reporting was designed to protect Collingwood

How do you know it's for a different reason than it actually was?
Not sure if that’s a trick question, as it could be interpreted as such. To be clear, I’m saying Winmar’s gesture was definitely about the racist taunts he received, and not about what Newman, Scott and Sheahan said. Do you disagree?

I recall this vividly

The Sunday Sun the next day showed the photo and ran with the caption of Winmar with the line "we won it on guts"

The rest of the media reported his real intention after being subject to abuse from Pies fans during the game.

Sun reporting was designed to protect Collingwood
Was Precious Mike at the Sun at that time ?

How do you know it's for a different reason than it actually was?
The article drops some subtle clues:

Ludbey, who was shooting the Saturday afternoon game for the Sunday Age, has never wavered in his account of what he saw and heard. "Never at any stage in the last 27 years have I veered off my original story," Ludbey told ESPN. "I was assigned to do that game, and not only did I photograph it but in front of me was an Indigenous man responding to racism. I didn't hear any specific racism directed at him, but he was responding to it and lifted his jumper, pointed at his skin and said 'I'm Black and I'm proud to be Black'.

Sam Newman is such a *******. He has a history of racism. I remember all the closest racists, misogynists, rednecks, John Howard supporter, justifying his actions saying that he was just playing a character on the footy show, that he was actually a good bloke. Turns out he was actually reining it in on the footy show and he is a seriously s**t bloke.

Winmar was either pointing to his skin saying he is proud of his indigenous colour, or saying in spite of all the racist comments he has the guts to win. For Sam to get on radio and dog whistle to his racist base about this shows what a pathetic piece of s**t he is.

Worse case - Nicky Winmar was out there saying he played with guts, and it has been interpreted as he is proud of his skin.

That was a turning point.

It put a line in the sand to say we will not accept racism in AFL anymore. Whether it was the original intention or not is not the point. Every player in the AFL knows that was when things changed, that's when the line was drawn. It inspired kids all around the country, it gave grown men the courage to speak up and not put up with the crap anymore. He inspired thousands, it changed history for the better.

Why is Sam Newman trying now to debate this? What purpose does it serve to question Winmar's motives?

There are two reasons for Newman to push this.

He is a Racist
He is irrelevant and wants attention

Either way, he is human garbage.

Not sure if that’s a trick question, as it could be interpreted as such. To be clear, I’m saying Winmar’s gesture was definitely about the racist taunts he received, and not about what Newman, Scott and Sheahan said. Do you disagree?
I don't know I wasn't there. I'm wondering how you know, were you there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Sam Newman not go 5 minutes without making a complete fool of himself? Just absolutely downright disrespectful and utterly pathetic, but you come to expect that from him. That podcast is just another platform for him to spread his bigotry.

Why was he even talking about it in the first place, and why now?

Sam Newman is such a *******. He has a history of racism. I remember all the closest racists, misogynists, rednecks, John Howard supporter, justifying his actions saying that he was just playing a character on the footy show, that he was actually a good bloke. Turns out he was actually reining it in on the footy show and he is a seriously sh*t bloke.

Winmar was either pointing to his skin saying he is proud of his indigenous colour, or saying in spite of all the racist comments he has the guts to win. For Sam to get on radio and dog whistle to his racist base about this shows what a pathetic piece of sh*t he is.

Worse case - Nicky Winmar was out there saying he played with guts, and it has been interpreted as he is proud of his skin.

That was a turning point.

It put a line in the sand to say we will not accept racism in AFL anymore. Whether it was the original intention or not is not the point. Every player in the AFL knows that was when things changed, that's when the line was drawn. It inspired kids all around the country, it gave grown men the courage to speak up and not put up with the crap anymore. He inspired thousands, it changed history for the better.

Why is Sam Newman trying now to debate this? What purpose does it serve to question Winmar's motives?

There are two reasons for Newman to push this.

He is a Racist
He is irrelevant and wants attention

Either way, he is human garbage.
What I cannot fathom is why Don Scott said what he said - very uncharacteristic of him from what I have heard of him over the last few years unless I am missing something.
Precious is obviously covering his arse being at the Sun at the time.

Can Sam Newman not go 5 minutes without making a complete fool of himself? Just absolutely downright disrespectful and utterly pathetic, but you come to expect that from him. That podcast is just another platform for him to spread his bigotry.

Why was he even talking about it in the first place, and why now?
He was simply agreeing with the opiniom of two other people

What I cannot fathom is why Don Scott said what he said - very uncharacteristic of him from what I have heard of him over the last few years unless I am missing something.
Precious is obviously covering his arse being at the Sun at the time.
Mike Sheean and Don Scott - they try and disguise themselves as journalists with integrity, but work for Rupurt Murdoch. If you work for him, you bow down to his extreme right-wing policy, which we see here.

I don't know I wasn't there. I'm wondering how you know, were you there?
No, I wasn’t there. Not sure I need to be either to accept as fact what occurred. Winmar and the photographer both were. The photographer has repeatedly stated for the past 27 years what Winmar said in his presence on a number of occasions immediately after the match. Winmar has never wavered in his account either. I’m happy to accept their version rather than that of Scott and Newman and Sheahan, who weren’t present when Winmar made his comments.

With your line of reasoning you probably doubt the holocaust occurred, because you weren’t there to witness it.

Last edited:
LicoriceAllsorts Just looked up your posts after you did the laugh emoji on my post - what a piece of sh*t you are. Seems like you are the same sort of troll account that has been posting racist stuff on Neville Jetta and Eddie Betts, hopefully you get outed for your real name soon and you lose whatever job and family that you have.

48,118 posts - Mods must have details of this racist troll - don't protect him.
LicoriceAllsorts wow. You’ve been racist all this time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back