North, Crows, Port, Essendon - who has the more upside in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the very underrated North have a good chance for the finals next year. Adelaide hmm, you never know with them.

I think North have a good chance for the finals next year. Adelaide hmm, you never know with them.
I suppose a bit depends on your depth and second tier players coming up, especially with Gov and Ellis-Yoeman going.

Essendon the only one with upside.

North flatline into ninth again.
Crows culture issues to sort out.
Port went backwards, not sure where they improve.

Who misses out on finals?

We got these comments last year and every year. The Dees make the 8 in 2018? Who misses out then? The Crows? Yeah right!

Geelong was only one game in. GWS only one and a half games in. Melbourne and Sydney looked like they could miss out at one point. A team from the top four often implodes the season after. Who misses out, you ask? Anyone, 2019 is a new season.

We got these comments last year and every year. The Dees make the 8 in 2018? Who misses out then? The Crows? Yeah right!

Geelong was only one game in. GWS only one and a half games in. Melbourne and Sydney looked like they could miss out at one point. A team from the top four often implodes the season after. Who misses out, you ask? Anyone, 2019 is a new season.

So specifically Essendon and Adelaide make the eight. Can't say who drops out of the eight? Can't say what other bottom 10 team also make the eight next year?

But Essendon and Adelaide definately make the eight.

Adelaide should return to finals action next year for sure.

A lot of recency bias on here (and everywhere in the media) re Essendon's very good second half of the year and Port Adelaide's poor last 7 games.

Adelaide should return to finals action next year for sure.

A lot of recency bias on here (and everywhere in the media) re Essendon's very good second half of the year and Port Adelaide's poor last 7 games.

So you're saying we shouldn't expect Essendon to be any good next year based on their recent results? Likewise for Port and their recent results?

Guess we shouldn't read too much into Carlton's poor year then either....

I think the very underrated North have a good chance for the finals next year. Adelaide hmm, you never know with them.
1st of all sympathies go out to the Sloane family on their loss
RIP
The Crows are fantastic at Home but with maybe the loss of McGovern may sit you back a bit but I believe if things go right maybe you could pinch a spot in the 8.
With my club well if we could pick up either Gaff or Polak we maybe a chance but speaking to a few people I know in the inner sanctum at North tell me their would love to get Thomas with there 1st pick but may have trade it off to get a Polak but who knows.
For North to make the 8 we need good luck and heaps of speed as we are slow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think all four teams will be around the 6th - 12th mark next year.
  • The dons will need to fix their consistency first, no point beating a top team if you're just going to go and lose to Carlton the next week.
  • Crows have too many offield issues which needs to be resolved.
  • Someone needs to screw the wheels back onto Port
  • North needs to land Gaff and Polec to improve another step

I think all four teams will be around the 6th - 12th mark next year.
  • The dons will need to fix their consistency first, no point beating a top team if you're just going to go and lose to Carlton the next week.
  • Crows have too many offield issues which needs to be resolved.
  • Someone needs to screw the wheels back onto Port
  • North needs to land Gaff and Polec to improve another step

Crows will have a softer draw and have enough talent to return to the 8.

Port fell off at the end of the season. They need to keep Ryder fit and Robby Gray on the park as much as possible. If Dixon has a good year they are a good chance of making the 8.

Dons will have an easier draw which may help. They lack mids and Woosha needs to find a way to help Daniher realise his potential. 10-12 is my prediction.

After coming ninth, North will have a slightly tougher draw. Even with Gaff (a terrific player) and Polec (an average outside player), both of whom are there for the massively over quids, they will struggle.

Geelong and Sydney.
Would expect Sydney to be a lot stronger next year assuming the key position players all return. Been a struggle this year with Naismith (1st ruck), Melican (CHB), Reid (FF), Tippet (2nd ruck - retired pre season), Johnson (CHB), Mills (3rd def), Marsh (3rd def), and Grundy (FB) all missing large chunks of the year. The Swans have only scraped in to the finals because Sinclair has somehow played every game as a ruck, and Aliir burst back in to the seniors with some huge performances.

Hopefully Hannebery is still in the red & white and gets a full pre-season under his belt.

Crows will have a softer draw and have enough talent to return to the 8.

Port fell off at the end of the season. They need to keep Ryder fit and Robby Gray on the park as much as possible. If Dixon has a good year they are a good chance of making the 8.

Dons will have an easier draw which may help. They lack mids and Woosha needs to find a way to help Daniher realise his potential. 10-12 is my prediction.

After coming ninth, North will have a slightly tougher draw. Even with Gaff (a terrific player) and Polec (an average outside player), both of whom are there for the massively over quids, they will struggle.
An average outside player. Averaged 25 touches this year and 3rd in the league for total metres gained lol

So you're saying we shouldn't expect Essendon to be any good next year based on their recent results? Likewise for Port and their recent results?

Guess we shouldn't read too much into Carlton's poor year then either....
Didn't say that recent results weren't relevant, i was referring to "recency bias" and overestimating the value of recent events. Every year we see the same, teams that finish off the year well and the belief that this will just "carry on" into the next year.

Think about how different the views would have been just 7 games ago.

Crows would have to be my tip. A side that’s been thereabouts for a while now who has had a disappointing year could very well bounce back into contention. They’ve had the year from hell. The off field has shrouded the good on field moments and I think they’re a good enough outfit to straighten it out. The list is there, just straighten the off field business and they’re top 4.

Port could very well do the same. It would be a bit Richmond-esque if it happened. Got the players, the A grade talent, and the ability to beat anyone. I think it’ll come down to the connection between the coach and players.

Essendon remind me of Melbourne. You’d be frustrated as a supporter. They’re probably a couple of good midfielders away from being finals regulars. They can beat WC in Perth yet lose to Carlton? Shows you they’re not far away, just need time.

North are probably not far behind the Bombers. Will pick up some decent talent in the draft and have some good kids. I reckon they just ran out puff this year. Going the right way.

Pre-2018 we had Essendon supporters excited and talking them up as top 4 potentials with opposition supporters talking them down.
Pre-2019 we now have opposition supporters intrigued and talking them up as top 4 potentials with Essendon supporters talking them down.

What a difference a year makes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back