List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Zac Smith traded for picks 49 and 53

Do we want Zac Smith at the Cattery?

• Yes

Votes: 199 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 22.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think they are as amazing as this and the rest of your post suggests.

They have had excellent luck with both injuries and their recruits. They have also had excellent luck in ending up playing interstate teams in all but one of their recent flags. And they were good enough to nab one early (2008) but really, they have just had a later premiership window than the Cats by around 2-3 years. That window will close very soon, most likely next year.
I don't think their three peat is a touch on Brisbane's either and I do think it'll go down more as an anomaly than any great achievement. How many of Hawthorns players from the weekend would've made Brisbane's teams of the early 2000s? I reckon maybe 4-6 at best. so I agree with you that Hawthorn are a bit overrated but their recruiting certainly isn't. Luck when recruiting comes in to it a bit but when you are recruiting injured guys like we have been and they're recruiting healthy guys like they have been then what do you expect? McIntosh hadn't played for a year before we got him, either had Mitch Clark. Hawthorn recruit players that are the best and ready to go! We recruit guys that have shown a bit from time to time in their careers then we have a bit of a wish and a prayer on them and hope they'll be ready to go.

I can't think of a recent B&F winner at the club that hasn't been thoroughly deserving...

But I digress, did a quick search on twitter for Zac Smith, a mad essendon tweeter named the red sash has said 'Zac Smith to Geelong #Lock'

Now Sashy is an A-GRADE f**kwit, but he claims to have good mail at Essendon, I can only take from it that whoever talks Essendon to him has told him Smith has knocked back the Bombers.

As I said he is a halfwit though... who thinks Hird is a god... so whatever he says is not normally to be believed..
Ah! The Sash, eh? He and FogDog - what a team! :straining:

If Smith is a committed Xian, with high values and morals (I say "if" b/c I don't know if he is or not), then I would be staggered if he accepted EFC as the destination of choice. The Bombers would just carry too much baggage - with stuff still hanging over their collective heads.

I can't see Smith warming to that environment, which sadly, is likely to be toxic for a couple of years yet.

Edit: Chose us while I was typing! Love to be chosen. Its a nice feeling, isn't it? :)

Last edited:

Next years round 2 or 3 for him? Whats a backup ruckman coming off an ACL?

oh wait....

we gave up a round 2 for that other backup ruckman coming off an ACL couple of years back.
Smith played all games last year something H-Mac didn't do when we picked him up

Pushes Vardy out of the 22

Ruck 1 Smith
Ruck 2 Stanley
FF Hawkins
CHF Clark

Nice lineup - Smith is 205cm and as I recall reasonably athletic so could be the #1 ruck we have been lacking.
Vardy and Clark to share CHF defenitely has potential. Looks like Ballroom is now a utility !!

Awesome news that he has chosen the Cats! He doesn't have to be the best #1 ruck in the league - he just has to make sure we don't get smashed in ruck contests.

All we need is improvement on last season - if Dangerfield, Smith, Selwood and Henderson can all help us improve in one area, even by a little bit, it will all add up.

I'm wrapped we have a good chance of getting young Smith. He'll be a good ruckmen for years to come, he's still very young and won't even reach his peak for another 4 or 5 years.

The article says that he is 25 - are you saying he will hit his peak at 29 or 30?

#DestinationClub

12032650_878909105555503_3512422680428630620_o.png

I take it we have 3 pick 9's and 5 2nd rounders? Can't see how we get all this done, be nice though.

Things would need to work out perfectly for us to get all four, and things rarely work out perfectly. If Adelaide matches and want more than pick 9, getting Henderson is unlikely. Getting Selwood is entirely dependent on whether WCE lets him go for free, and I don't know what GC would want for Smith.

Things would need to work out perfectly for us to get all four, and things rarely work out perfectly. If Adelaide matches and want more than pick 9, getting Henderson is unlikely. Getting Selwood is entirely dependent on whether WCE lets him go for free, and I don't know what GC would want for Smith.
I disagree.

I can see Geelong asking for two fourth/fifth rounders instead of a third rounder for someone like Jansen, or Carlton throwing steak knives (numerous picks) into the Henderson deal - Either of those scenarios would allow us to still secure Smith while not having picks 82, 83, 84 and 85 in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast have academy boys coming through next year true? So they are keen for picks next year? I would think 2nd Round next year would get it done, however it also sounded like Wells wasn't keen on trading future picks in his recent interview.

Excellent news.

Scooter now lowest priority for me. Would be happy to take him for free but if WCE want to match they can keep him.

Here's how I see it playing out.

Dangerfield - pick 9 most likely scenario.

Henderson - second rounder + Walker has been reported by several sources.

Smith - 2016 second rounder.

Selwood - RFA or don't bother.

Last edited:
Would Geelong let it get to the point where players "nominate" Geelong if they didn't think they could pay the relevant price?

Absolutely not.

The mere fact someone like Smith has nominated us means his manager has sat down with the club and worked out how they could realistically get him here.

Really? Not to mention , finding a spot for Henderson next year... Vardy has been all potential so I guess he would have to work and perform to get a game.

With us being uncertain about the fitness of Clark and Stanley, Vardy could easily play for us round 1, if only one of them is under a injury cloud he plays.

On Henderson, its possible that poor Kolodjashinj has to wait for Lonergan to decline before he gets his chance. Lucky we got him on a two year deal.

Pushes Vardy out of the 22

Ruck 1 Smith
Ruck 2 Stanley
FF Hawkins
CHF Clark

A fully fit Vardy plays ahead of Clark, every day of the week.

Clark was average this year and is a year older with another severe injury under his belt. He is finished. I am amazed so many see it otherwise.

Henderson was playing like a guy who had mentally checked out of the Blues. Didn't help that he was playing under Mick who insisted on using him at the wrong end of the ground.
Yep.

And he may have been badly treated by Brissy before that (Fev deal and all) - confidence sapping for a young man.
And Carlton are a rabble.
And Hendo has had a couple of very fine years as a young KPB.
And Hendo was a number 8 pick in the draft. The guys must have some serious talent to be taken that high. Wells would know him inside out seeing he is an ex Western Districts lad.
And he is only 25 - not 35ish - like Lake. Lets see where he is in 10 years time before that comparison is made.

A fully fit Vardy plays ahead of Clark, every day of the week.

Clark was average this year and is a year older with another severe injury under his belt. He is finished. I am amazed so many see it otherwise.

With respect I disagree, but I'd be happy to have either a fully fit Vardy or a fully fit Clark running around.

Back