Ok, enough time has passed. Steve Johnson...

Remove this Banner Ad

So I'm the only one who noticed stevie J gobbing off at a tigers player as he walked off the ground past their guard of honour?

It looked like the tiger (whoever it was?) started it... but i thought it was quite fitting that his last act on a football field was running his mouth

Great career, yadda yadda yadda.

And i mean that with genuine respect.

But enough is enough!

Far out, what a debacle his selection was in the finals!

6 in junk time against a cooked Eagles, but then what can only be described as one of the most awful finals games of all time on Saturday arvo!

The media are tip toe' ing around it for whatever reason (maybe fair enough?) but enough time has passed since the weekend to call it for what it was - a disastrous error by Leon Cameron to select Steve Johnson!

It was Trainwreck stuff. The dude can't hold a tackle, can't run and can't kick 35m!

Who in their right mind would select him for a Preliminary final?

Almost in that decision alone, Cameron cost himself the chance to be a premiership coach.
Yeah I was quietly happy as SJ was kicking his 6 against WCE, it made him undroppable when he is exactly the type you don't want in your side coming up against Richmond.

He did at least annoy the hell out of Tiger players and fans throughout, trying to con cheeky 50 m penalties and free kicks all night, gave Rance a reasonable whack in the face after the HT siren etc. So in that sense it was a nice cameo of the old SJ.

Stevie J contributed to the loss much like the players who impersonated Harold Holt and disappeared all game.

It's pretty concerning for GWS if you blame their plight on a 290 game veteran who hasn't played a good game after kicking 6 the week before. I'd be looking at the abundance of top 5 picks you've got who didn't deliver the expected work rate and effort for an AFL side in a preliminary final.

The sad thing for Giants fans is that you've got more talent than you know what to do with, but you're lacking some key fundamentals that cost you a GF appearance - work rate, effort. Richmond aren't a better side skill wise, but they just wanted it more.

It's time for a big preseason after a nasty reality check.

All round it's the lack of competitiveness that staggers me.

I wonder how some of these wunderkids would be doing by now if they were playing under seasoned leaders at established clubs instead of having the likes of Johnson and Shaw to guide them.

Same goes for Gold Coast really. Stick all the yoof in with some late-career mercs, add a few I'm-a-celebrity-get-me-back-to-rugby types, and wonder why you don't have a winning culture.

The bloke's retired, why twist the dagger? It's over, let him retire with at least some dignity.

Disagree.

There was conjecture about his selection. Some like Dunstall and Mark Williams were adamant he shouldn't play - whilst others felt he should.

It was very, very clear that the former were correct.

I think the media have an obligation to at least discuss it and hold Cameron accountable for such a gross error of judgement.

I'd also question whether or not Johnson himself should have put his hand up to play ahead of a young guy, knowing that he can't run, can't tackle andcsnt kick more than 35m.

Big mistake. Letting them off the hook by ignoring it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree.

There was conjecture about his selection. Some like Dunstall and Mark Williams were adamant he shouldn't play - whilst others felt he should.

I think the media have an obligation to at least discuss it and hold Cameron accountable for such a gross error of judgement.

I'd also question whether or not Johnson himself should have put his hand up to play ahead of a young guy, knowing that he can't run, can't tackle andcsnt kick more than 35m.

You are the hindsight king.
He wasn't the only player who didn't turn up.
I bet if he wasn't picked, you'd have a thread, asking why

Junk time Johnson.

A pleasure to watch whenever he plays against ordinary teams.

Disagree.

Drop a guy that's kicked 6 the week before?

Steve has already retired has he not and soon to be employed with his old skip at swans? So not much else to say apart from well done great career good luck in the next.

If the OP complaint is selection then who would disagree and no doubt giants are in review as we type. When they do win a flag these times will make it even sweeter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back