Remove this Banner Ad

B: Stratton, Frawley, Scrimshaw
HB: Hardwick, Frost, Sicily
C: Smith, Mitchell, Scully
HF: Wingard, Patton, Gunston
F: Nash, Lewis, Breust
R: McEvoy, O'Meara, Worpel
I/C: Shiels, Burgoyne, Henderson, Ceglar

I've gone with Nash over O'Brien or Puopolo. Having three players all 196+ cm without making us slow would be very difficult to match up on. Throw in Gunston and we have a very dangerous tall forward lineup. Patton did his best work on the CHF line at GWS and Lewis plays best deep forward.

Our Forwardline was dysfunctional in the first half of 2019, but check this sh*t out:
HF: Gunston......Lewis.......Wingard
FF: Breust.........Patton.......Popeye...... TO'B on the Bench
If we take the brown and gold tinted glasses off our forward line looks a bit different.

Two kpfs - one coming off 3 ACLs (with no form since) and a developing prospect coming off another major shoulder surgery. Lewis is a very promising prospect but far from proven as a KPF.

Gunston and Breust coming off poor seasons (by their standards) with both potentially on the decline. Were elite in 2013-15 but not on 2019 performance.

Puopolo was on many delist/retire lists - on his last legs, and wasn’t very effective in 2019.

Wingard is an elite talent but seems much better suited as a mid. Wasn’t very effective as a forward + body couldn’t stand up to rigours of a small forward. Hasn’t been an elite small forward for years.

If everyone returns to form and fires well yes we will kill it. But lots of question marks across the group.

The inclusion of Patton and Frost plus the return of Mitchell will allow Gunston, Sicily and O’Meara to all play more prominent roles = 3-4 goal better team
This. Our most creative forward, most creative defender and most creative mid were forced to play more defensive roles. Our ins will free them up dramatically.

Lock for Round 1 Best 22
J.Sicily
J.Worpel
J.O'Meara
J.Gunston
L.Breust
I.Smith
B.McEvoy
S.Burgoyne
B.Hardwick
J.Frawley
C.Wingard
L.Shiels
B.Stratton
R.Henderson
T.Scully
M.Lewis
J.Scrimshaw
S.Frost
Lock Subject to Fitness
T.Mitchell
J.Patton
Fighting for a spot
T.O'Brien
P.Puopolo
J.Ceg1ar
D.Howe
C.Nash
O.Hanrahan
H.Morrison
J.Cousins
C.Glass
D.Moore
C.Jiath
J.Ross
M.Walker
H.Jones
Developing
W.Golds
D.Greaves
J.Koschitzke
N.Reeves
Injured
J.Impey

The inclusion of Patton and Frost plus the return of Mitchell will allow Gunston, Sicily and O’Meara to all play more prominent roles = 3-4 goal better team

3-4 goals more with the same defence average puts us right in th mix. Then its a case of finding strategies to beat richmond and brisbane

Gunners, Bruest and Mitchell, ...Sicily would have been if he played a few more games

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mitchell out was the opportunity for worpel.
Bruest and gunners were down but I thought I saw some hunger late on

In any case, nash mitchell and obrien found form in the opportunity. Not exactly a wasted year.

3-4 goals more with the same defence average puts us right in th mix. Then its a case of finding strategies to beat richmond and brisbane

Late season, the strategy for us to beat Brisbane was simply to have kicked straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as our trade ins and draftees this season, I'm really excited for the potential of Mat Walker with another pre-season under his belt.

Though it's the right thing to not have him best 22 at this point, there's every chance that he could break into the best 22 as early as Rd 1 depending on how his preseason goes. If he can show some explosiveness, pace and pressure I reckon the sky's the limit.

Would rather get games into Walker, Hanrahan and Moore than have Puopolo play
We re-signed him for a reason. He'll at least play at the start of next year

B: Jack Scrimshaw, James Frawley, Blake Hardwick
HB: Ben Stratton, James Sicily, Sam Frost
C:
Isaac Smith, Jaeger O'Meara, Tom Scully
HF: Jack Gunston,
Mitchell Lewis, Tim O'Brien
F: Luke Breust, Jonathan Patton, Paul Puopolo
R: Ben McEvoy, Tom Mitchell, James Worpel
INT: Shaun Burgoyne, Liam Shiels, Chad Wingard, Ricky Henderson
Talk about a foreign legion! 12 out of 22

Yeah when we were beating GWS in Canberra and Eagles in Perth - I was wishing we’d lose so we can draft instead
Yeah, forget about building belief in the young players that they can take it up to the best in the comp, let's get dem draft pickzzz!!!

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Has Howe found a new role as a half back flanker? He was quite good during the last 6 games. With Mitchell back and a couple of players in the reserves who are expected to get some games throughout the year, Howe could move down in the midfield pecking order.

Will Clarkson go with the 2 ruck setup? Ceglar signs for 3 years but at the same time McEvoy is coming off a career best season and is still comfortably the number one ruckman and is showing no signs of slowing down. The knock on Ceglar’s game is his inconsistency. Is there room for both in the same team?

How will the Patton, Lewis and Gunston forward trio work? Does the return of Mitchell and perhaps a new or tweaked game-plan potentially make the forward mix potent again?

Will Burgoyne spend the majority of 2020 playing in the forward half of the ground? We all know despite his age he is still a match-winner. With Scrimshaw and Sicily likely occupying the two half back flank spots will Burgoyne play up forward more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back