Traded Patrick Lipinski traded to Collingwood for Pick #43

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 55 or better for Max Lynch gets us back there (if it came to that).

Hawks will trade Ceglar and probably get a late 30's/early 40's pick for him factoring in the 50% salary coverage.

Then the Hawks take that pick and they slide some picks around with the pies for Lynch with the late 30's/early 40's + Hawthorn's 59 & 65 potentially to upgrade points for the pies and the hawks are unlikely to need pick 59/65 once all the trading is done and dusted due to list spots.

Having Lipinski gives time for these kids to develop. Given how much footy Nick and Macrae have missed over the last few years, I think Fly will be patient and let them develop. Nick won't play wing. Maybe half forward or half back.
Lipinski has elite skills that will help our midfield, which we very much lack.
We also lack pace. Unsure whether this will help with that.

Poor troll. Surely you can do better than this.

So far you guys are arguing that Lipinski is nowhere near our best side, but walks into yours.
Oh Doggy, you do have your Demons don't you - was that too soon?

From everything I've seen, he may not be super quick, but I don't see him as slow either. More in the middle. but pace is not something we can solve at this time, so we just make do.
All I'm saying is a guy playing VFL, 5 years in the system, will be hard pressed to be good enough to play 200 games. Hopefully I'm wrong. But until I see him play a full season in the AFL, I'm not as confident as you are.

He’s a non best 22 player in the second best team in the league, fair to say he will be a best 22 player in the 2nd worst team in the league.
That doesn’t raise his trade value.

All I'm saying is to say a guy playing VFL, 5 years in the system, will be hard pressed to be good enough to play 200 games. Hopefully I'm wrong. But until I see him play a full season in the AFL, I'm not as confident as you are.
If we get 100 games out of him he would have been a great get

All I'm saying is to say a guy playing VFL, 5 years in the system, will be hard pressed to be good enough to play 200 games. Hopefully I'm wrong. But until I see him play a full season in the AFL, I'm not as confident as you are.
Yep. This isn’t a Tim Kelly or Michael Barlow situation where they weren’t in the AFL system but did well when they did.

Seems more a vanilla Brent Prismall scenario. Is a Kyle Martin type going to far?

Handy depth for pick 58 and should be an upgrade on JT and Sier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point is saying someone “isn’t best 22” so therefore isn’t worth anything isn’t accurate. The fact you have pick 2 in the PSD is the only thing impacting his value.
No, him being outside your 22 absolutely impacts his value, he’s be worth much more if he was a best 22 player. The PSD only compounds that.

Yep. This isn’t a Tim Kelly or Michael Barlow situation where they weren’t in the AFL system but did well when they did.

Seems more a vanilla Brent Prismall scenario. Is a Kyle Martin type going to far?

Handy depth for pick 58 and should be an upgrade on JT and Sier.
If that’s your expectation you are going to be pleasantly surprised.

He played 11 games of AFL this year, it’s not like he spent the whole year in the VFL

My point is saying someone “isn’t best 22” so therefore isn’t worth anything isn’t accurate. The fact you have pick 2 in the PSD is the only thing impacting his value.
A mid-fielder who is 23 and isn't in your best 22 is expendable and clearly needs to find another home. The lack of other teams interested in him shows that he has limitations - having Pick 2 does give the Pies more confidence that he'll get to them, but the market has spoken.

A mid-fielder who is 23 and isn't in your best 22 is expendable and clearly needs to find another home. The lack of other teams interested in him shows that he has limitations - having Pick 2 does give the Pies more confidence that he'll get to them, but the market has spoken.
Sydney and Carlton were interested in him at one point

No, him being outside your 22 absolutely impacts his value, he’s be worth much more if he was a best 22 player. The PSD only compounds that.
He played 11 games this year, so for half the season he was considered a ‘best 22 player’.

So if he came from Adelaide where he played a full season in the AFL then requested a trade, he’d be worth more just because he’s a ‘best 22 player’ even though it’s from a worst side compared to the Dogs?

Sydney and Carlton were interested in him at one point
I bet it was his manager who said that - Carlton and possibly Sydney are likely to have been able to outbid the Pies if they thought he was worth it.

Blues were interested to, no? Once he nominated you guys, you are the only ones we can deal with. So there is no market.

If that’s your expectation you are going to be pleasantly surprised.

He played 11 games of AFL this year, it’s not like he spent the whole year in the VFL
At the end of the day AFL history is littered with depth players who became best 22 amd had long careers with new clubs, but were traded for peanuts. Our current B&F winner was traded to us as steak knives.
Lippa might end up having a long career at Collingwood or he could get overtaken quickly and play 20 odd games for us. He’s not the kind of player that gets high currency at the trade table unfortunately, even if the talent is there, because he’s not getting regular games.

I bet it was his manager who said that - Carlton and possibly Sydney are likely to have been able to outbid the Pies if they thought he was worth it.
Why would he move interstate when you guy’s were interested and gets to stay in his home state

Blues were interested to, no? Once he nominated you guys, you are the only ones we can deal with. So there is no market.
You reckon his manager didn't work out who was going to give the most coin before he nominated the Pies - hmmmm - I've got bad news for you about Father Xmas and the Easter Bunny

He played 11 games this year, so for half the season he was considered a ‘best 22 player’.
No mate, that just makes him a fringe player.
So if he came from Adelaide where he played a full season in the AFL then requested a trade, he’d be worth more just because he’s a ‘best 22 player’ even though it’s from a worst side compared to the Dogs?
If he’d played a full season of senior footy at Adelaide and performed well then yes, he would be worth more. Good players playing senior footy, even in bad teams are worth more than good players playing in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back