Review Pheww...Freo just sneak home against the Swans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, got out of jail there in more ways than one. Playing 3 rucks and a med-fwd who can't help lock the ball in to save his life was a mess. We won despite it not because of it - if we stick with that setup I might have squeeze onto the quickly filling 'sack Ross' bandwagon.

That said, rather win those than lose them. Some thoughts:

- Brayshaw was great. He has the stuff between the ears to be a bona fide match winner at AFL level. Look at that pickup and balance in the last kick of the game - he gets a bit of polish to his game, watch out.
- Sandi had to have a good game and I thought he basically did. We were effective carrying Darcy, to have Sandi not impact as he did would have been ugly like I don't want to think about.
- Bewely burns the ball a bit, but he plays fiercely and has a good workrate for first year player. Worth persisting for now, certainly should stay in ahead of Colyer.
- Duman; nothing special in one sense, but I'm going to claim unofficial buddy duties with him. I'm really liking Duman because he has something we don't have much of in this team and that's smarts. He puts himself in good spots, looks to use the ball with purpose and can defend. Can see this guy being a lock mid-size defender/utility in a season or two.
- BHill, Mundy and Walters showed skills and composure 50 times above most out there at key moments. They were in and out of the game at different moments, but when they were on, they were on.
- Hamling was bloody unbelievable tonight. Sydney butchered some opportunities, no doubt, but don't underestimate how hard Hamling and the other defenders made it. Sydney fwds will be having nightmares tonight with Joel featuring in them.

As unconvincing as that was, the group needed that win as a tonic. Hopefully they can get a bit of mojo and finish the season with a bit of fight, because five weeks of embarrassment to finish the season is very much on the cards otherwise.

Last edited:

That recalled bounce because Alirr pulled out was iffy.

Umpire was influenced in his decision by Alirr when he just decided to step back from the contest instead of running at the ball which was still in the circle. Should have been play on and a clearance for us. But there were lots of iffy calls both ways all night.

An odd result. Part of me wants to celebrate and part of me wants to rage that we won despite no improvements to our abominable skills and goalkicking; problems that have been central to all our losses this year.

- May have been Brayshaw's best game in purple; was absolutely immense.
- Logue and Hamling were absolutely critical.
- I know Aliir isn't exactly fair competition, but the difference Sandi makes is amazing in terms of actually spotting and hitting up midfielders on the run.
- Hopeful that Lobb can start stringing a few more games like that together.

Shocking skills...

Andy Brayshaw, Griff Logue! Take a bow. Fantastic games.
Playing 3 rucks almost killed us.

I dunno.
Lobb was our focal point up forward.
The other 2 dominated the ruck and we won the clearances 2:1 essentially. Particularly important because Sydney was undermanned but not in their mids (and we lacked Fyfe). And in the last few minutes we kept squaring or winning the clearance to prevent Sydney getting into a winning position.

With Hogan back I think we don’t play 3, but without him it’s fine.

I dunno.
The other 2 dominated the ruck and we won the clearances 2:1 essentially. Particularly important because Sydney was undermanned but not in their mids (and we lacked Fyfe). And in the last few minutes we kept squaring or winning the clearance to prevent Sydney getting into a winning position.

Yes I think you are right, but I hope it's a one time thing.

Well, got out of jail there in more ways than one. Playing 3 rucks and a med-fwd who can't help lock the ball in to save his life was a mess. We won despite it not because of it - if we stick with that setup I might have squeeze onto the quickly filling 'sack Ross' bandwagon.

That said, rather win those than lose them. Some thoughts:

- Brayshaw was great. He has the stuff between the ears to be a bona fide match winner at AFL level. Look at that pickup and balance in the last kick of the game - he gets a bit of polish to his game, watch out.
- Sandi had to have a good game and I thought he basically did. We were effective carrying Darcy, to have Sandi not impact as he did would have been ugly like I don't want to think about.
- Bewely burns the ball a bit, but he plays fiercely and has a good workrate for first year player. Worth persisting for now, certainly should stay in ahead of Colyer.
- Duman, I'm going to claim unofficial buddy duties with him. I'm really liking Duman because he has something we don't have much of in this team and that's smarts. He puts himself in good spots, looks to use the ball with purpose and can defend. Can see this guy being a lock mid-size defender/utility in a season or two.
- BHill, Mundy and Walters showed skills and composure 50 times above most out there at key moments. They were in and out of the game at different moments, but when they were on, they were on.
- Hamling was bloody unbelievable tonight. Sydney butchered some opportunities, no doubt, but don't underestimate how hard Hamling and the other defenders made it. Sydney fwds will be having nightmares tonight with Joel featuring in them.

As unconvincing as that was, the group needed that win as a tonic. Hopefully they can get a bit of mojo and finish the season with a bit of fight, because five weeks of embarrassment to finish the season is very much on the cards otherwise.
Wrong. Having genuine talls everywhere is the only advantage we had over the swans. Was obvious all game. We are to unskilled to play any other way than a bomb it long game plan and having all these talls everywhere facilitates that.

All the other crap aside I enjoyed that game, it was Saturday night, me and the partner watched it eating dinner and we were both screaming at the end and hugely entertained.
I keep coming back to fact I want to enjoy watching footy, thats where it fits in my life. If I'm realistic in my expectations of where we are as a team and just hope to see our boys giving it their all and hang the result I can enjoy it. And nail biting wins are a bonus.

All the other crap aside I enjoyed that game, it was Saturday night, me and the partner watched it eating dinner and we were both screaming at the end and hugely entertained.
I keep coming back to fact I want to enjoy watching footy, thats where it fits in my life. If I'm realistic in my expectations of where we are as a team and just hope to see our boys giving it their all and hang the result I can enjoy it. And nail biting wins are a bonus.

What wine did you have with dinner? I want some!

I just couldn’t get enthused about that game, it was two bottom sides trying to play the style of game that the top teams play and just couldn’t pull it off.

What wine did you have with dinner? I want some!

I just couldn’t get enthused about that game, it was two bottom sides trying to play the style of game that the top teams play and just couldn’t pull it off.
its about adjusting your expectations. it was a wet, slippery night game with 13th & 14th going at it not a sunny saturday afternoon with 1 & 2.

some of the efforts by the players were incredible, Logue's 4 defensive efforts, Brayshaw's heart and composure beyond his years, Lobb fighting to the death carrying his shoulder.

The same way I dislike curators preparing roads for modern fans who expect sixes to be hit all game, I like a tense contest between bat & ball.

It was a wet, hard slog with a nail biting finish and my team won. Its a game. Something to be entertained by on Saturday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno.

Nope, 2 only. Lobb and one of the others. How many times did Aliir just run off sandilands easily.
If they do it again they should play Sandi out of the goal square. Gives us a long option at least.

its about adjusting your expectations. it was a wet, slippery night game with 13th & 14th going at it not a sunny saturday afternoon with 1 & 2.

some of the efforts by the players were incredible, Logue's 4 defensive efforts, Brayshaw's heart and composure beyond his years, Lobb fighting to the death carrying his shoulder.

The same way I dislike curators preparing roads for modern fans who expect sixes to be hit all game, I like a tense contest between bat & ball.

It was a wet, hard slog with a nail biting finish and my team won. Its a game. Something to be entertained by on Saturday night.

Each to their own but my expectations were that we’d be better than we were and I’d prefer not to adjust those expectations.

- Lobb, darcy and Sandi worked out great in the end though Darcy is pretty much a spud.
- didnt think conor stood up and claimed his spot as out third mid, Brayshaw certainly put together a bloody game today.
- luke and hamling were elite.
- hughes and mccarthy need serious ultimatums handed to them.
- cox and tabs are basically english as a second language, two of the least inspiring least thoughtful people I have ever heard speak publicly even for footy players they are stupid sounding.
- Wilson is a shell at the moment though did work into the game.
- can one of these turds putting contracts on hold actually look inboard to a target in the middle or hit a target at all. fu** you ed Langdon and Brad hill sign a ******* contract and lead this team you couple no tackle pricks.
- mundy always plays better without fyfe.
- conca played a very decent game.
- so many of our team cant kick it's actually comical.
- bewley is sort of garbage but hes worth a few more tries.
- switta isn't really doing much. It's so insane we f’ed off guys like deboer and replaced them with sort of worse versions of them.
Ross is cooked as a coach, it's so obvious this team is playing like the end of Connolly and Harvey times. Theres just not much going on.
I watched Cam and he lead lots, is it that he leads to the wrong position? Langdon ignored his leads the whole game!

Scrappy win but reasonable and highlights we are a mid table team.

Loved:
Logues effort. If he played with that effort all the time, he would be a permanent fixture in the team.
No Cox. Forward line looks significantly more mobile.
Brayshaw. Solid.
Bewley. Love his vision and kicking.
Lobb. Nuff said.

Hated.
Skills. We suck
Inability to kick reasonable scores. I just don't understand given our inside 50s.

Questions.
Cerra - good skills but some poor decision-making, particularly putting team mates underthe pump.
Do we work on skills at training?

I watched Cam and he lead lots, is it that he leads to the wrong position? Langdon ignored his leads the whole game!
Im Cams biggest fan, I am always looking for things he does that the dipshits on here dont see. He needs to do more, hes basically our medium forwards, hes got to chase more, run more, do more. I think hes still pretty unfit and not particularly strong. Its all there for him, he needs a rocket or something because hes genuine class when hes on and we have a serious lack of that, give me a firing Cam over a firing Cox or Tabs the dumb dumb bros any day.

Here’s the Under 13’s coach in me.

Alir Alir was allowed to play his own game in the backline. Sandi should have been instructed when playing in the forwardline, to stand on the Toyota logo in the goal square. This would then drag one of the Swans (hopefully Alir) back out of the play. This is the tactic when the ball is around the midfield area, drag their running players back into our forward area, away from their attacking advantage.

Here’s the Under 13’s coach in me.

Alir Alir was allowed to play his own game in the backline. Sandi should have been instructed when playing in the forwardline, to stand on the Toyota logo in the goal square. This would then drag one of the Swans (hopefully Alir) back out of the play. This is the tactic when the ball is around the midfield area, drag their running players back into our forward area, away from their attacking advantage.
I agree with this. We were lucky both Aliir and Blakey constantly fumbled in space.

Cam was ignored a lot last night. We were going to Sandi and Lobb a lot while ignoring everyone else.
Most definitely this, he had many leads that were completely ignored last night

Wrong. Having genuine talls everywhere is the only advantage we had over the swans. Was obvious all game. We are to unskilled to play any other way than a bomb it long game plan and having all these talls everywhere facilitates that.

I agree with this. Sydney exposed our complete lack of skill all night, but our advantage in the air was pronounced and in the 2nd half it translated into some quality clearances (as opposed to a hack forward to nobody clearance).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back