Universal Love Pick #2 - Welcome Andrew Brayshaw - 2022 AFLPA MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much single handidly kept us in it through the middle part of the last quarter and kept fighting when it was pretty clear it was done. Some of his repeat efforts are simply astonishing for a 19 year old.
Yep. He’s bloody good. Laughable some of the comments he gets.

I’ve gone from thinking he is the worst top 5 pick on our history to now seeing him building nicely. Can see him being a midfield beast in 2 years.

Andrew Brayshaw
Adam Cerra
Stephen Hill
Anthony Morabito
Jeff White
Clive Waterhouse
Justin Longmuir
Paul Haselby
Graham Polak
Matthew Pavlich

Not sure if I missed any but that is good company to be in. Amazing how few top 5 draft picks we have had compared to GWS / GCS.

What's been impressive is he's right in it to the bell. There were some more super efforts in the last yesterday that if we had of won we'd be drooling over.

Our premiership chance really opens in 2 years if he can hit A-grade material.

Cerra? Yeah he's suffering ye ole 2nd year blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We pissed away most of our top picks in the late 90s and early 2000s
Our actual drafting in that period (depending on how you define late 90s / early 2000s) wasn't that bad. The real issue was the trading away of top picks from 2001 to 2006 and our drafting from 2002 to 2006.
The 4 main drafts 1998 to 2001 produced 9 players who went on to have significant careers for us or other clubs. The 5 drafts after that only 6 (2002 to 2006. And my 6 here is very very generously classifying Warnock as a hit) culminating in disastrous drafts in 04, 5 and 6 which produced only 2 AFL quality players from all of the main, pre season and rookie drafts from those years.
The hole in the list that last period created we were still living with right up until our current rebuild.
Replace two of our bottom 6 players in the GF with hypothetical players taken in 05 or 06 (who would have been well over 100 games by then) then we win that game in my mind.

Not even going to discus the trading *shudder*

I would really like to see Andrew Brayshaw in the leadership group this year. He’s clearly setting high standards at training and looks to be a future captain. I am sure he is one that the young group would really respect and look up to while still being young enough to relate to the rigours of entering the AFL system. Although only a third year player he seems like he has the maturity to handle the responsibility and Longmuir has already singled him out as being very impressive on and off the track.

I would really like to see Andrew Brayshaw in the leadership group this year. He’s clearly setting high standards at training and looks to be a future captain. I am sure he is one that the young group would really respect and look up to while still being young enough to relate to the rigours of entering the AFL system. Although only a third year player he seems like he has the maturity to handle the responsibility and Longmuir has already singled him out as being very impressive on and off the track.

This 100%

Yes, you can definitely see that level headed maturity & discipline that was advertised when we first drafted him starting to have an effect on his development. Barring injury, he's the first one I'm expecting to fulfil his potential as one of the gun midfielders in the comp. He's setting himself up nicely for a potentially long career, and probably not only just a playing one.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I personally think people who say he's no good, uncover themselves as people who don't understand football and are people who would shout 'just kick it' when at a game.
Are you saying he’s not rated by West Coast supporters?

The way he’s handled himself since being assaulted by that tragic and hapless thug, Gaff, who deserves nothing good in his life henceforth and should contract some form of flesh-eating disease in his face, to be fair, has been nothing short of exemplary. Definitely a leader the other kids will be looking up to.

I personally think people who say he's no good, uncover themselves as people who don't understand football and are people who would shout 'just kick it' when at a game.

A lot of our supporters had been hard on him because Ross wasn't developing them well. Hopefully with a new environment and shift of emphasis players will excel. Brayshaw was touted as both an inside and outside player before being drafted. Hopefully some of that outside potential comes to the fore now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back