Player Watch Pick #33 (2016) - Willem Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Drew is a better player than he gets credit for he'll be in the mix you need a few to run through there.

I'd be phasing out the 35 year old that's never got us anywhere.

Patrick Cripps has never got Carlton anywhere. Phase him out too?

I'm up in their air whether drew makes our best 23 or not but reality is there's always injuries, sometimes lots of injuries so we'll never have our best 23 available anyway.

Drew’s biggest issue is that he’s not only a barely best 22 player but he has zero versatility so he’s either on the bench or in the midfield.
He needs to improve or I think he’ll look for options elsewhere.

If the AFL keep reducing the maximum rotations he'll be in trouble, but they also seem to have a tendency to increase the bench, so on the bench or in the midfield would be the case for heaps of players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drew is a good player. His 2 problems are he lacks the versatility to play anywhere other than inside/defensive mid and there are too many player looking to rotate through the midfield who are simply better players and most of whom also have the versatility to not only rotate up forward and play forward to a reasonably high standard.

Drew’s biggest issue is that he’s not only a barely best 22 player but he has zero versatility so he’s either on the bench or in the midfield.
He needs to improve or I think he’ll look for options elsewhere.
Could play half forward and half back in the SANFL.

Checking in for the year to back my buddy in 2023. Even if he doesn't crack the team some weeks, he'll be fun to watch dominating in the SANFL.

Profile picture now Drew in the Prison Bars. But if there are weeks he's not present at AFL or SANFL level, will have to whip this one out.
untitled-jpg.545993

Wines added outside elements to his game mid-career and that got him a Brownlow. So still some hope for Drew, but at the moment he has the hurt factor of mushy peas so he's up against it for sure.

Checking in for the year to back my buddy in 2023. Even if he doesn't crack the team some weeks, he'll be fun to watch dominating in the SANFL.

Profile picture now Drew in the Prison Bars. But if there are weeks he's not present at AFL or SANFL level, will have to whip this one out.
untitled-jpg.545993

he was my buddy last year and seemed primed for a big year. i must have put the mozz on him. hopefully you have better luck

he was my buddy last year and seemed primed for a big year. i must have put the mozz on him. hopefully you have better luck
You wouldn't like my track record of my last few buddies.

2018-2019: Dougal Howard traded to St Kilda.
2020-2021: Joel Garner ends up delisted.
2022: Miles Bergman with the shoulder problem and mystery month long virus, and played full back in the SANFL once, although he did get in the team later.

You wouldn't like my track record of my last few buddies.

2018-2019: Dougal Howard traded to St Kilda.
2020-2021: Joel Garner ends up delisted.
2022: Miles Bergman with the shoulder problem and mystery month long virus, and played full back in the SANFL once, although he did get in the team later.
I'll raise you Tobin Cox, Trent Burgoyne and Take Schofield.

But I'm a glutton for punishment, and Hugh Jackson is going to buck the trend (once he hits puberty).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back