Pick #33: Jeremy Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah, Ive seen that, interesting.

I like Howe, has loads of X factor and scope for improvement.

His vertical jump was 102cms and everything he has done so far,
he has been working full time as an apprentice sparky - so youd think
that he'd thrive on a full time footy environment.

Moves well, hits the packs hard, can take a hanger and looks ready made.

Has a bit of height aswell, I think he is a great smoky pick up.

It appears we have the new cult player of the draft. Its actually quite funny. Jurrah and Howe... haha

Seems so, has he got a nickname yet?

If not I say we go with Howitzer:

0105mmhowitzer.jpg

And lets hope like his namesake he is a gun.

Disclaimer: I felt this was an appropriate picture to the topic.

Do you guys think Howe will get a guernsey next season? He's a mature age recruit, so I'd like to think we'll see him get a go.

Do you guys think Howe will get a guernsey next season? He's a mature age recruit, so I'd like to think we'll see him get a go.

Yeah I think and hope he does. Recruited for a specific purpose at full forward. Which frees up a lot of other players especially jurrah to weave some of his magic. Also gives greeny more freedom up the ground. Really liking this pick now. Funnily enough bennell was around the same pick, and I was thinking "who" and would be one of my fav players now

i just want to know why the hell we picked him so early. The broadcast didnt even have a picture for him haha

How good is a 102cm jump?? how high can nic nat jump??

i just hope he's more consistent than robbo. i dont want his career to finish with just a mark of the year award.

i just hope he's more consistent than robbo
. i dont want his career to finish with just a mark of the year award.

I would like to know how you come to the conclusion that Robbo wasn't consistent??? Sure in the last year & a half of his career he was patchy, but prior to that he was a regular contributor to our teams fortunes...

hoping hes someone who tackles, provides pressure in forward 50, not just taking screamers here and there.

i may have exaggerated a bit about robbo. no need to get worked up so much, we are on the same side :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i just want to know why the hell we picked him so early. The broadcast didnt even have a picture for him haha

Apparently he wouldn't have made it to our next pick if Dean Bailey is to be believed.

In addition to the MFC, Collingwood also had a strong interest in the kid as well.

holy crap thats great :thumbsu::thumbsu:
There have been some good jumpers around. The folk of which you speak are good but not great. Brumel turned the High Jump world up a large notch in the early sixties with his Dive Straddle before Fosbury turned the event on its ear with his Flop. A bloke called Franklin Jacobs might be the best-ever, bio-mechanically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Jacobs

Brumel
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=68254

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeriy_Brumel

In raw jumping terms our fellas are ordinary.
I should mention Holm who can do seven feet with a Scissors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hz7ZA35U5g

i just hope he's more consistent than robbo. i dont want his career to finish with just a mark of the year award.

I agree with DR - Robbo started and finished his career a little up and down but for the most part he was very consistant given his postion and game style.

Also, I think NicNat jumped 103 so yeh jinny - he looks pretty exciting!

In raw jumping terms our fellas are ordinary.
I should mention Holm who can do seven feet with a Scissors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hz7ZA35U5g

Are you serious? You are comparing AFL players doing a vertical leap to high jumpers? Not only do AFL players carry more body weight (around 30% - 60% more), but there is a massive difference between a vertical leap and a high jump.

Are you serious? You are comparing AFL players doing a vertical leap to high jumpers? Not only do AFL players carry more body weight (around 30% - 60% more), but there is a massive difference between a vertical leap and a high jump.

Um, I think that was the point Old Clint was trying to make...

to give it some perspective, in the 2009 NBA draft combine the highest vertical leap was 40 inches. which is just shy of 102cm
Thats a great way to put it in perspective and how I was viewing his leap. I know in the NBA they rate any vertical around the 40inch mark as being a weapon.

Pretty sure their is a guy going around in the NFL with something ridiculous of 60+ inches :eek:

Um, I think that was the point Old Clint was trying to make...

So the point that Old Clint was trying to make was that it is erroneous to compare high jumper's high-jumps to AFL players vertical jumps? And he made that point by comparing high jumper's jumps to AFL player jumps and concluding that AFL players were "ordinary" in "raw jumping terms"? Strange way to make a point...

From wikipedia:

A vertical jump of one meter (40 inches) or more is considered outstanding. Some athletes have even recorded vertical jumps over one and 1 and 1/4 meter (50 inches,) which is extremely rare.

So, incorrect. AFL players like Howe are not ordinary. They are outstanding jumpers.

****, don't set the bar too high. A B&F and a 70 goal season amongst his career, what else do you want him to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back