Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

A similar discussion. Interesting that Rozee's second best season statistically was when he was playing predominantly forward in his first year

Speak for yourself Pat. I've got multiple #20 guernseys, this guy needs to live up to the hype quick smart.

Not normally one to look at a posters history but it didn’t take me long. This was one of your first posts about Rozee.

Clearly you have some strange bias which is never going to change.

Maybe the school bully was called Conner or your missus thinks he’s hot, idk but either way, we will never get an impartial commentary from you on Rozee.

Having said that, we all have biases I don’t deny that.

Not normally one to look at a posters history but it didn’t take me long. This was one of your first posts about Rozee.

Clearly you have some strange bias which is never going to change.

Maybe the school bully was called Conner or your missus thinks he’s hot, idk but either way, we will never get an impartial commentary from you on Rozee.

Having said that, we all have biases I don’t deny that.

Still offended over Wingard and channeling all that anger onto Rozee.
Connor's AA guernseys and Wingard's fading into complete irrelevance has done nothing to change his outlook.

I've given Rozee plenty of praise when it's been due which is very often over the past two years. Am I harsh on him? Probably. He still has a lot to prove in terms of performing under pressure in big games and now as a captain and leader of the team. But I would love nothing more than for him to be a premiership captain and even a Norm Smith medallist.

I've given Rozee plenty of praise when it's been due which is very often over the past two years. Am I harsh on him? Probably. He still has a lot to prove in terms of performing under pressure in big games and now as a captain and leader of the team. But I would love nothing more than for him to be a premiership captain and even a Norm Smith medallist.

Agree that’s the knock him, performance in big games.

We have a few in that boat.

Think we all agree a high calibre coach would allow all our players to be more fairly judged.

It’s like the talented F1 driver that spends his career at Williams.

Still offended over Wingard and channeling all that anger onto Rozee.
Connor's AA guernseys and Wingard's fading into complete irrelevance has done nothing to change his outlook.

Lol. That post was made in jest before Rozee had even played a game and has nothing to do with my subsequent opinions.

Unlike others, I don't have a gigantic ego and have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. Connor has already proven me wrong by becoming a high quality midfielder and I genuinely hope he proves me wrong again by becoming a high quality leader and big game player.

Lol. That post was made in jest before Rozee had even played a game and has nothing to do with my subsequent opinions.

Unlike others, I don't have a gigantic ego and have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. Connor has already proven me wrong by becoming a high quality midfielder and I genuinely hope he proves me wrong again by becoming a high quality leader and big game player.

So how are you expecting he prove you wrong at the conclusion of round 9 while off with a hamstring injury?

So how are you expecting he prove you wrong at the conclusion of round 9 while off with a hamstring injury?

I'm not? We'll see how he goes in finals if we get there. As I said, I genuinely hope he shoots the lights out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the negqtive talk is justified considering he steps down and melts when things get tough in a big game
This is such bullshit. All Hinkley teams go to water in big games, but putting all the blame on our 24 year old 2-time all australian captain just because he has a pretty face is ridiculous.

Since he moved into the midfield in 2022, Rozee has averaged 23.5 disposals and 0.76 goals a game against top 8 opposition. With highlights like:

35 disposals against Collingwood at the MCG in 2022;
28 and 2 against Collingwood at home last year;
28 and 2 against Carlton at the MCG last year; and
28 and 1 in the Qualifying final at the Gabba.

We lost all of these games.

If he's not our best player he's our second best and the absolute least of our worries.

He excels using his lateral and arc pace running out the back of stoppage that's his weapon Butters and JHF doesn't have and being more aggressive forward of the stoppage and wanting to run it at the front of the stoppage hurts him

His output has been fine this year minus the 2 y related games. To be honest it's still probably in the AA squad.

Re leadership
It's been 7 games. Calm your farm and stop bed wetting
Edit: I forgot to add re leadership he probably should've been in the squad last year
The wines for a year whilst Rozee/Butters develop should've been last year instead of the corpse of Jonas (whilst having Rozee and butters in the squad)

the negqtive talk is justified considering he steps down and melts when things get tough in a big game

This is such bullshit. All Hinkley teams go to water in big games, but putting all the blame on our 24 year old 2-time all australian captain just because he has a pretty face is ridiculous.

Since he moved into the midfield in 2022, Rozee has averaged 23.5 disposals and 0.76 goals a game against top 8 opposition. With highlights like:

If he's not our best player he's our second best and the absolute least of our worries.
What he said. ☝🏻

Producing some stats that say he didn't completely disappear in some big games doesn't prove anything. Even his biggest fans would have to admit he's not exactly known for his performances in big games or being the match winner when games are on the line. Yes he's had a few moments but not enough.

And if that sounds unfair, consider that he's the captain who recently signed a contract for a decade on probably a million a year. You judge a player like that against Bontempelli and Petracca, that's the level we need him to get to if we want to win a flag.

Producing some stats that say he didn't completely disappear in some big games doesn't prove anything. Even his biggest fans would have to admit he's not exactly known for his performances in big games or being the match winner when games are on the line. Yes he's had a few moments but not enough.

And if that sounds unfair, consider that he's the captain who recently signed a contract for a decade on probably a million a year. You judge a player like that against Bontempelli and Petracca, that's the level we need him to get to if we want to win a flag.
Yeah
You take out his 2 injury effected games he is right in that conversation
Like coming off 2 AAs

Yes

It would depend on Wines bringing his A game on a more regular basis and Mead continuing his improved form of recent weeks as well, but as per Ford Fairlane I too could see Rozee being very successful in the Jack Cahill wing/half forward role as there is no doubt he has the pace and skill to be a tough match up for any oppo, particularly given the extra space that should come with that role.

It took until Petracca's 6th year in the league to actually start delivering on his potential in a career that to date had been 5 years of underwhelming performances.

I personally think Bontempelli is overrated - not that he isn't a very good player, but he too drifts in and out of games and can go missing in big moments.

There's no doubt that there are times when Connor goes missing though. However, in saying that, I don't think you'll find many occasions where he as an individual goes missing but the team performs well. That is, when Connor doesn't play well, he is not a problem in isolation, but rather the entire team seems to also go to s**t. That to me imo is more of a systemic issue surrounding the mental makeup of our squad (led from the top down) than anything else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back