Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

* knows how we made him captain ahead of Butters, or JHF.
I feel it wouldve locked butters in for his career as well. He is no chance of leaving as captain and i dont think he will but it leaves some hope for clubs to poach him. Unfortunately JHF was probably a year too young but these two clearly bleed port.

what are the chances rozee plays next week? with ken and co and the firm, its pretty high in my opinion.

Does anyone have the credentials of our Doctor/fitness staff.

Playing Aliir and Jones after they were knocked out cold, laying stiff on the floor was sickening. Allowing Rozee to play off a hamstring in 6 days.

At this point they need their licenses to practise pulled. How anyone can watch a player go stiff on the floor unconscious and say its a migraine is beyond me.

Who was your choice?

I would have went for somebody like Houston, maybe even Wines for another year or two. Says a lot about the types we recruit and the general lack of leadership throughout the Club that not many spring to mind.

Rozee is an excellent player. Couple of AA's, polls really well come Brownlow night and is usually up near the top in the coaches award too but he's not a leader. He's your cream on top of the cake not the substance.

Connor has the looks, the profile, speaks well, but he's no leader and never will be and it's had a negative impact on his game as well. A double loss. Not a great leader and has taken from his game. He's a changed footballer now as he tries his hardest to lead by doing the harder things that really don't suit him.

No longer the break away player with immaculate foot skills, now more often than not he's turning this way then that way, heading backwards, and ends up junk kicking around his body, and the softer aspects of his game are getting magnified.

So once again, we've taken something special and tried to change it in to something we want it to be and at this stage it looks like another very bad decision.

Butters would have been an obvious option as well but the Club rightfully is aware of the 'pull' of returning home for him.

JHF will be one day, hopefully soon, but at the moment he's too young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the criticism Rozee is getting, how can we be sure Hinkley wasn't also pressuring him to play through?
people were saying after the game fans in public asked him how he is and he said hes as good as gold and cant feel anything wrong in his hammy mucles.

Took an unacceptable risk with AA. Should have been sacked for it.

Wasn't sacked and now he's taken an unacceptable risk with Connor.

These are just the big ones too.
How about flogging Soldo to within a inch of his life and here we are. Out for an extended period because he couldnt play Sweet to relieve him.

Nah Rozee was a good choice for captain. He is a young leader and will get better. Same could be said for Boak and plenty of others.

I would suggest that Rozee wanted to play and wanted to lift his team. That’s what you want from players. You want them hungry to be a part of it.

This is where the sports health staff and Hinkley should have stepped in. Hinkley was 100% right, although he backed away from that statement in the same interview and started suggesting Conor should take some blame, but this is on Ken and the medical staff.

We had a brutal, rough game that left many sore against the saints and then a six day break. And you risk your captain, arguably best player, a player reliant on dynamism and kicking, when he has an issue in the muscle critically needed for speed and agility. What a way to kill Conor’s career and our season. What a way to kill our momentum mid game - where is our hero, dynamic captain when we need to win a clearance or kick an inspiring goal, oh he is in the sheds with a hammy issue we knew he had pre game? How deflating for the players and fans to see that. Dumb coaching. And so obvious and predictable. And on the background of AA and Jones last year and McKenzie and Dixon in finals.

And to not bring Finlayson back and rely on Dixon (bad ankles) and Toddy to be second rucks for a whole game.

For the criticism Rozee is getting, how can we be sure Hinkley wasn't also pressuring him to play through?
Exactly - buck stops with Ken. His lazy regime cuts so many corners and is just simply unprofessional from Chris Davis and Ken through the whole department.

Ken consumes the praise when it comes his way. Some how no criticism is flung his way when things go wrong.

In terms of Rozee as captain, I'm going to give him more than 7 games to prove himself.

Whoever made the decision to play Rozee after a hammy tinge with a 6 day break should be reprimanded and if it was decision to give Connor the decision to play or not, then the person who gave the decision to Connor should be reprimanded.

For mine, Connor is clean on this one.

Reading between the lines, there's no actual injury here. He had scans and there was some vague claim about minor damage but in reality they were probably all clear, hence why they were happy to give him a fitness test and pass him medically fit to play.

What we're dealing with is a player with a tight hammy who mentally can't get past the awareness of it in his running, kicking, etc, and thus effectively can't play. This was the story with Fantasia too.

I don't really blame either him or the club for trying to get up for the Showdown. But in future, they need to be aware that Rozee is the type of player who cannot play through niggles.

Reading between the lines, there's no actual injury here. He had scans and there was some vague claim about minor damage but in reality they were probably all clear, hence why they were happy to give him a fitness test and pass him medically fit to play.

What we're dealing with is a player with a tight hammy who mentally can't get past the awareness of it in his running, kicking, etc, and thus effectively can't play. This was the story with Fantasia too.

I don't really blame either him or the club for trying to get up for the Showdown. But in future, they need to be aware that Rozee is the type of player who cannot play through niggles.
He played through a foot issue for 2 seasons what the hell are you talking about?

Edit: sorry it was 1, 2021.

An interesting take on when and when not to use Rozee in the middle. It went on for longer than whats in this clip.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back