Prediction Pick your 3 for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Oscar (McDonald) or thylacine60 the grouch ?

images

Not naming names, but a bit disappointed that so many predictable/if young names are being tossed up into this cookbook of a thread.

I alas seem to one of the very few Blue Baggers who are buying Owies stock (least on this board/thread) our significant improvement in my opinion needs to come from the likes of 'The Owl' as well as the types of Durdin, Honey etc

On the other hand, I think we have now compiled the deepest/least list clogger list since the mid 90s.

By the same token, The coaching staff and Vossy need the lads to sing to the same tune they are orchestrating, and a king of injuries aside, I am very confident we will play finals

1. Cripps. Needs to be going better than the last 2x seasons from both performance and on field leadership perspectives.

2. Kemp. Feel like we need him to play a big role going forward if we’re going to drag ourselves out of the swamp.

3. Honey. Out of interest really - I didn’t see what some others were saying about him initially, but a few games late last year really got me thinking he could be something really special.

1. Jack Martin - would love this guy to show the consistency he had in his early years at the Gold Coast (and see a 1,2,3 finish in the Brownlow with him, Walshy and Crippa - in no particular order).

2. Big H - 2021 was just a warm up. With better (and more frequent) delivery from the mids - 80+ in 2022.

3. Sam Docherty - call it sentiment, but would love to see the Doc get back to his AA level best!

Dow
C Curnow
McGov

Based on:
i) unfulfilled potential;
ii) capacity to seriously contribute next season; and,
iii) game-changing x-factor.

If these three stay fit and fire, along with incremental team-wide improvements, we go next level.

(Now where’s my payment for contributing to this thread?)
Cheque will only bounce anyway, BR

It's pretty clear there are a swag of blokes on our list - for one reason or other - who aren't producing anything near their best presently.

Chuck (Charlie C.), Brackets, Crippa, Martin, Williams, Fisher.

Throw in the get a move on (or else) 'kids' e.g. Dow, LOB.

Plus the 'injured' few - Marchy, Philp, Cuners, OMac.

Plenty of serious firepower in that 1st named six.....plenty.

Hopefully, Voss can tap into that group....

Sorry, but I had to go three for free

1639347647699.png

Back to their best
  • Cripps - Can he return to being the best inside mid in the comp and one of the best players in the league?
  • Williams - Can we get him playing at his peak GWS levels? Happy for that to be as HBF if needed
  • C Curnow - A fit Charlie would give us twin towers and cause nightmares for opposition defenders
Last chance saloon
  • Dow - I haven't written him off, but he needs to get a wriggle on pretty quickly.
  • Fisher - I think his best position is in the midfield, but is he fit enough and there's more competition now. Not sure he's a permanent fwd either
  • McGovern - Pretty obvious. Him at his best could make our fwd line so dynamic. Or filling in down back could help to soften the loss of Jones. Ignoring contract status, if he doesn't produce this year he's done and dusted.
The kids
  • TDK - Expecting him to become genuine #1 ruck at some point in the next few years. How much can he step up this year?
  • Carroll - Great mix of physical attributes and clean football skills. Can't wait to see him crack the 22
  • Kemp - This kid could be anything. Not expecting huge things this year, but excited to see some signs of what he could become

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 players I will be watching closely that I think will be major factors in getting us up back the ladder are;
Captain Cripps - needs to be close to 100% when playing, I do not want to hear stories of him being underdone or having injury issues and still playing.
Brodie Kemp - feel like he needs to come on this year and be a big presence. Doesn’t need to have big numbers but needs to impact in our backline for us to be successful.
Jack Martin - key word for him is consistency. When he’s on he’s our most impactful player but he drifts in and out of games. Needs to find a role that will keep him engage throughout the entire season. Would like to see him plug in where he’s needed. Start him up forward but if it dries up then I’ll be looking at what the coaches do to get him involved.
Special mention to weiters too. It’s his backline now and to me our list management and injuries have sort of messed with the chemistry and it’s up to the coaches and weiters to get this group back to becoming a solid unit again.

Just a different take:
  1. Culture - Cook, Voss & Hansen need to get the team playing for each other as a collective rather than a group of individuals playing for themselves. It's been going on for 20+ years and must change if we're to produce consistent results and play finals.
  2. Game Plan - Voss & Hansen need to develop a game plan that makes use of the players' strengths and hides as many of their weaknesses as possible. It needs to be easy to remember, easy to understand and their roles must be simple to execute.
  3. List Balance - During the 2022 Trade/FA/Draft period Austin MUST address our lack of developing KPPs. Acquiring talls via the Rookie, SSP and Midseason Drafts or as a DFA is little more than a "Gorillias in the Mist" approach with a high likelihood of failure. I would've much rather sacrificed Hewett for one of Coleman-Jones or Chol. Not only would one of them have provided a bit more grunt, mobility and a mature body to our under-developed ruck division, but it would've straightened us up a bit with another potential KPF when not on ball and given us more options as to how we use TDK. (note: this not meant as a knock on Hewett in any way, just where I see our greatest needs).

Just a different take:
  1. Culture - Cook, Voss & Hansen need to get the team playing for each other as a collective rather than a group of individuals playing for themselves. It's been going on for 20+ years and must change if we're to produce consistent results and play finals.
  2. Game Plan - Voss & Hansen need to develop a game plan that makes use of the players' strengths and hides as many of their weaknesses as possible. It needs to be easy to remember, easy to understand and their roles must be simple to execute.
  3. List Balance - During the 2022 Trade/FA/Draft period Austin MUST address our lack of developing KPPs. Acquiring talls via the Rookie, SSP and Midseason Drafts or as a DFA is little more than a "Gorillias in the Mist" approach with a high likelihood of failure. I would've much rather sacrificed Hewett for one of Coleman-Jones or Chol. Not only would one of them have provided a bit more grunt, mobility and a mature body to our under-developed ruck division, but it would've straightened us up a bit with another potential KPF when not on ball and given us more options as to how we use TDK. (note: this not meant as a knock on Hewett in any way, just where I see our greatest needs).
Nice post. I think point 3 will be addressed in next year's draft. We have a lot of players coming off contract next year (20+). Pressure will be on a lot of the small to mid-sized players to perform, or find themselves out, as we focus on talls at the draft - and it's supposed to be a good year for talls. How deep that will run, who can tell.

I also like Voss's response to the main areas we need to address in his first press conference:
1. Consistency - providing the same level of performance week in, week out.
2. Reliability - understanding your role in the team and doing it.
3. Durability - reducing the injury toll.

Your first two points tie in well with Voss's. Build a strong culture and a reliable, but flexible game plan, and you'll build the trust the playing group will have in each other to produce that consistency and reliability of performance.

Last season was a s**t show from my perspective. Reckon the experience of the coaches will make a vast difference. We'll get to see whether the potential of players is gunna translate to game time, or not.

So my 3 are players we haven't seen enough. Kemp. Carroll. Philp.

Players are going to have to work hard to earn a spot if we improve injury management from 2021 and guys like these 3 step up.

PS stoopid thread

I've never seen Carroll play live, just highlight snippets.

Is he a player in the mould of Josh Kelly?

A winger type who can go inside and win the ball?

Good size too - 188cm (+ growth?)

That's a really good comparison.

Not as prolific, but that kind of smooth moving player with great disposal and decision making.

Can play inside and out, agile, quick. The kind of guy you want delivering the ball, setting up plays.

Three I hope come good and believe will are Setterfield, Cuningham and McGovern. But going to look elsewhere for this, look at our list weaknesses with the least depth.

LOB - Wingman, a pure wingman is needed, has all the tools to make it especially with that kick inside 50.
Young - Tall back, with Jones gone he has become very important. Don’t know a lot about him. But must hold his opponent.
TDK - Ruck, if he can become a strong #1 ruck and hold his own in the ruck contest and continue to do well around the ground.

If the first three fail won’t hurt us to much as have a lot of good players in their positions. If the second three can have a good year watch out.

Marchbank another to watch, could be anything or nothing, just hope he gets a fair run at it with injuries this year.

Hard picking just three.

Last edited:
ffs.......

Okay, hold your horses. I will stop refusing to participate in this thread.

The 3 players I will be watching closely are.

1 - Brodie Kemp

2 - Jack Carroll

3 - Corey Durdin

No, I won’t give reasons why.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back