Player claim for 2017 - Josh Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Ted Parker

TED: How’s June?
Jul 15, 2013
Meeanjin
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon this bloke is developing into a beauty. Has a Scotty Burns type endeavour coupled with that no fuss approach.
Has some tricks too.
I was hoping he'd be given the no.17 when it was returned from the cleaners after Marsh stained it.
The only upside to injuries (in his case Ramsey & Sinclair) is blokes like this get game time. Appears we've found one.

An example was shown with his efforts in the Dogs / Pies match. It was a pressure cooker and he showed some quality signs that he's going to be an important team cog going forward.
I have him firmly in my rolling 22 and part of the new Magpies that will surprise many in 2017.

Good smokey for an Anzac Day medal...

Anyone share similar sentiments?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Finished 7th in the Copeland so the club agrees agree with you.

Love his backstory and enthusiasm so hope you are right. He gets criticised for not being damaging enough but he has a good long boot.

Not sure what my nagging doubt is about him, that he's too eager, that he will turn it over in a crucial moment in a final?

Last edited:
Points for the thread title and concept. Could be used to start other player specific threads for 2017, where a poster champions their claims.:thumbsu:

On Smith, I'm not sure I agree. I too have some nagging doubts, but that may be due to reading too many other nagging doubts on here.:rolleyes: BF has that effect sometimes.

Finished 7th in the Copeland so the club agrees agree with you.

Love his backstory and enthusiasm so hope you are right.

Not sure what my nagging doubt is about him, that he's too eager, that he will turn it over in a crucial moment in a final? He gets criticised for not being damaging enough but he has a good long boot.

Wes Fellowes won one so he's now on track for a Brownlow & Norm Smith...

I agree but I reckon the composure will come once he gets past 50 games as he would have had the equivalent of two full seasons.
It's akin to when you first break 90 or 80 in golf, you think it'll never happen but you stop butchering shots after a while...the bad rounds can still happen but it doesn't happen as often and the better scores keep coming. The practice and game time gets you there.
I only mention that as I reckon with him it'll be come. s**t, they've given Sinclair enough chances and I reckon Smith & Marley where ahead of him at the same time.
Marley was similar early on, just butchered the ball at times. Before he lost it above the shoulders he was developing into a highly effective player. He'll struggle to break 90 again....

Points for the thread title and concept. Could be used to start other player specific threads for 2017, where a poster champions their claims.:thumbsu:.

Well let the player claims begin...I expect to see yours soon. I also suspect Smith's 'home-cut' coiffure would have met with your automatic exclusion in any event.

I think he's better than stop gap material. But I am an unabashed fan so I may have my biases.

First season in the AFL and he played 18 games, averaging 21 disposals. Given that he was a part-time footballer playing for Redland in the NEAFL until this time last year, I think there is scope for improvement yet.

Love his attitude and happy to have him at the club. I hope he has a long senior career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A solid player, but I dont think he will ever be a player with any hurt factor. Will remain a decent 15-20 player for years to come.

I reckon this bloke is developing into a beauty. Has a Scotty Burns type endeavour coupled with that no fuss approach.
Has some tricks to.
I was hoping he'd be given the no.17 when it was returned from the cleaners after Marsh stained it.
The only upside to injuries (in his case Ramsey & Sinclair) is blokes like this get game time. Appears we've found one.

An example was shown with his efforts in the Dogs / Pies match. It was a pressure cooker and he showed some quality signs that he's going to be an important team cog going forward.
I have him firmly in my rolling 22 and part of the new Magpies that will surprise many in 2017.

Good smokey for an Anzac Day medal...

Anyone share similar sentiments?

Apparently Smith credits Buckley with his great first year.

I don't agree with Buckley on many things what's your point.

That you're wrong about Smith. He deserved the games he played and by any measure did very well. Credit where it is due.

That you're wrong about Smith. He deserved the games he played and by any measure did very well. Credit where it is due.
So I'm wrong because I disagree with Buckley. I mean I might be wrong but I don't see how that proves it. I would have dropped him at several points during the season.

For mine he just doesn't haven't enough tricks and I don't see him as best 22 relevant when we challenge. He's slow especially for his size, isn't great defensively, isn't a contested beast or classy is non damaging ball in hand.

Perhaps he'll develop into a good player but I just don't see it happening. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does.
Serious? Who else would you have played in his place?
Marley Williams, Tom Phillips, Ben Crocker and James Aish though this all depends on what game and what time of the season.

BTW I'm not saying he didn't deserve any games because I think he's perfect as a depth player who can come in and out of the side and plug holes in similar to Goldsack.

^^^ you're wrong because you contrived some ridiculous fantasy in your head about Buckley gifting games to Smith so...what? He could heap praise on Buckley? Smith is a very good decision maker and a good user of the ball. If he wasn't he wouldn't have racked up so many games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back