Port Adelaide Women

Remove this Banner Ad

You beat me to it - I was just going to post that link!! Hopefully our club is looking to get involved as the SA entrant... how tasty would it be to be the only footy club promoted to TWO national competitions!! :)

I really think this is an excellent opportunity for the club that hasn't been explored as yet. The AFL CEO is quoted as saying that he wants to fast track a national women's competition to be operational by 2017 in line with the TV rights deal, and with only one women's club for SA. I think we would be silly not to try and do everything we can in the next two years to position a Port Adelaide team as that club of choice for SA. It might even strengthen our one club branding. I.e. Have the club field three teams instead of just the two - one in the SANFL, one in the AFL and also one in the new national women's competition (the Port Women's team already have the Magpies branding).

Giving some minor but long term financial assistance to the current women's team, inclusion in the year book and the occasional article on the site might be enough. After that KT and Koch can go into bat at AFL HQ at the beginning of 2017 to advocate for a Port women's team when the discussions over the make up of the national competition begins. They will be able to demonstrate our ongoing support for a our women's team in the previous two seasons and hopefully convince the AFL to make them the one SA team. As far as I see it having some exposure for the PAFC in the upcoming women's national competition and showing ourselves to be an industry leader in the area of including women in the game of AFL can only be a positive for the club.

Also, that above link was broken for me for some reason, so here's a new one:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-bid-to-fasttrack-womens-national-league-20150224-13noxh.html

Last edited:
Yep lets get in on this now... Go to the AFL now and show them how interested the PAFC are in having a team compete in the competition. Get the AFL to commit now to including PAFC in the new competition, get a team together and get them playing and training like any other AFL side, so come 2017, bam! triple premiership club!

It would be smart of Port to enter a womens team before the Crows + draft all the SA talent in our women league before the Crows do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back