Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardly bloody surprising though is it, where are those Moore>>>>Young dipsticks now?
I don't even recall that being a thing, other than the general never-ending porridge of 'X is better than Y'. Without Young's performances in the 1st half of last year there'd be nothing of note to compare for either.

By bold I mean't questionable/risky. Will be interesting to see how it pans out in the next few years.

It's better in the current system to either gamble and win big, or crash and burn for picks.

It seems like they have taken the view that it's better to go for another 5 years of success, or try and peak again post GWS.

I reckon Burgoyne will have a terrible year next year. He's going to be hugely exposed without Mitchell and Lewis. We know Burgoyne struggles to deal with more attention, and now that he's in the twilight i'd say it'll be a tough year for him.

I reckon Burgoyne will have a terrible year next year. He's going to be hugely exposed without Mitchell and Lewis. We know Burgoyne struggles to deal with more attention, and now that he's in the twilight i'd say it'll be a tough year for him.

He'll also be 53 next year, he has to start slowing down at some point!

Hawthorn were on a knife edge in 2016, despite winning as many games as they did. Perfectly placed to tumble down the ladder. Shame they traded out their 2017 R1 pick to Saints.
If JOM doesn’t work out and they finish bottom 4 I wouldn’t be surprised if they got a priority pick.

* I’m salty.

If JOM doesn’t work out and they finish bottom 4 I wouldn’t be surprised if they got a priority pick.

**** I’m salty.
With the list spots they have now I wouldn't be surprised if they land Barrett and Richards as DFAs. Don't worry, the family club will be just fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young is still, well young and inexperienced to some degree was a sub a lot in his games.

Tracking nicely

Hardly bloody surprising though is it, where are those Moore>>>>Young dipsticks now?

I never liked the Moore v Young comparisons and I still don't. I saw no reason why both couldn't co-exist in the same side (assuming both were in AFL worthy form). Young had a special 2016 and was one of the bright spots in an otherwise gloomy year for us. Moore just couldn't put it all together which is a crying shame because he would have been a very handy player for our midfield this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I never liked the Moore v Young comparisons and I still don't. I saw no reason why both couldn't co-exist in the same side (assuming both were in AFL worthy form). Young had a special 2016 and was one of the bright spots in an otherwise gloomy year for us. Moore just couldn't put it all together which is a crying shame because he would have been a very handy player for our midfield this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not sure he ever had much to put together, duped by being a high draft pick & his size (the fabled big body mid) when he was just a pretty ordinary talent from the get go.

I'm not sure he ever had much to put together, duped by being a high draft pick & his size (the fabled big body mid) when he was just a pretty ordinary talent from the get go.

How we picked him at pick 9 I'll never understand. I know Butcher at pick 8 didn't work out, but he at least had the tools to be an excellent player, he was just never able to put them together. Moore didn't even have the tools.

How we picked him at pick 9 I'll never understand. I know Butcher at pick 8 didn't work out, but he at least had the tools to be an excellent player, he was just never able to put them together. Moore didn't even have the tools.
He was picked to go top 20 in some phantom drafts including footyprophet (Paige Cardona) so it's not as if we were the only ones who got that wrong. But it wasn't a great draft for predictions. Apart from Dustin Martin at 3 and the slide of Fyfe to 20, there was little we would have taken. Talia was there but Choco wouldn't have taken another main defender after Carlile, he also already had selected and obviously rated Lobbe so Gawn was not in the frame.

It's kinda funny how the last pick of 2009, the weird looking skinny kid that everyone would've lost their s**t over, turned out to be the best of them and by a huge margin.
Who are you talking about? If Pittard I remember we actually predicted picking him, on the basis of having just recruited his juniors coach (Hocking) and his reputed coachability (a trait entirely defined by his coach) and because we doubted Port would continue to pick tall like they clearly should have.

Who are you talking about? If Pittard I remember we actually predicted picking him, on the basis of having just recruited his juniors coach (Hocking) and his reputed coachability (a trait entirely defined by his coach) and because we doubted Port would continue to pick tall like they clearly should have.

Yeah Pittard.

Pick 8: KPF (thank you!)
Pick 9: Big-bodied mid (bit of a reach but ok)
Pick 16: Skinny HBF (WTF is this guy 12?!)

I can't speak for others, but out of the three that we selected (forgetting alternate universes for a moment) he was the one that I had the least hopes for on draft day.

But clearly I was wrong because he turned out to be the best of them.

Although even then, he could conplete a 3km time trial faster than Jimmy Toumpas....
Jeez that was a significant stretch to slag a player. Harvey at 68 will still probably still be able to leave Wile E Coyote and 2/3 of our then list in the dust. Which of course will cause WEC and our players to step off a previously unseen cliff, but that's another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back