Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seven delistings at the hawks. very very bold given they have no picks.

If it wasn't omg the Hawx much success very list management, you'd be calling it stupid, not 'bold'.

They've botched this offseason badly if you ask me. Got their two targets (one of whom is unproven outside of being the fifth or sixth cog in an insanely deep Sydney midfield and the other of whom is a huge injury risk) but traded themselves out of two consecutive drafts and lost two absolute champions of the club in the process.

If it wasn't omg the Hawx much success very list management, you'd be calling it stupid, not 'bold'.

They've botched this offseason badly if you ask me. Got their two targets (one of whom is still a huge injury risk) but traded themselves out of two consecutive drafts and lost two absolute champions of the club in the process.
but watch them manage it and still finish top 4 .. damn Hawks

They've botched this offseason badly if you ask me. Got their two targets (one of whom is unproven outside of being the fifth or sixth cog in an insanely deep Sydney midfield and the other of whom is a huge injury risk) but traded themselves out of two consecutive drafts and lost two absolute champions of the club in the process.

By bold I mean't questionable/risky. Will be interesting to see how it pans out in the next few years.

Seven delistings at the hawks. very very bold given they have no picks.
Potentially going to grab quite a few delisted free agents you would suspect. Wouldn't be surprised to see them grab Xavier Richards, Barlow and Mitch Clark.

Garry Ablett Jnr having a rest?
Patrick-Stewart-as-Professor-Charles-Xavier-in-X-Men-Franchise.jpg

Potentially going to grab quite a few delisted free agents you would suspect. Wouldn't be surprised to see them grab Xavier Richards, Barlow and Mitch Clark.
Love to see then grab Barlow just for shits and giggles to piss the franchise of. Annoying thing is they will lrobably take a few of them and turn them into AA with a premiership medal to go.

"We haven't made a decision." - Gillon McLachlan

This was in context about the time of day for the GF, but the quote just seems to apt for Mr Non-Commit.
Could easliy end up being the quote that defines his entire reign as the head of the AFL.
Probably worth reflecting on. There must have been half a dozen sizeable initiatives since he took over. Some in the pipeline towards the end of the Demetriou era, such as end of the sub rule and starting playing on Good Friday. Some brand new like the less punitive MRP and the bye between H&A and finals. There'd be more but it comes down to what you consider sizeable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I reckon the pendulum has swung too far for them. Losing Mitchell and Lewis (#1 & #2 BnF) in one go is massive and will impact their engine room.

Young the only one standing of the old Young, Moore or Newton trifecta of 'FFS one of you stand up!'. I'll admit 3 years ago Young would have been the one I least expected to last the longest and reach the highest level.

He still has a lot of work to do on his game.

Yeah I reckon the pendulum has swung too far for them. Losing Mitchell and Lewis (#1 & #2 BnF) in one go is massive and will impact their engine room.
I would say Lewis will impact more. When Mitchell had quiet games this year he was covered by Burgoyne. I reckon Burgoyne will play a lot more in the middle this year and fringe players like Hartung and Shiels will have to stand up. And Whitecross, who came in late. They may not end up losing too badly immediately but with Burgoyne and Hodge about to join Mitchell and Lewis and no draft relief Hawthorn may have a tough few years.

I would say Lewis will impact more. When Mitchell had quiet games this year he was covered by Burgoyne. I reckon Burgoyne will play a lot more in the middle this year and fringe players like Hartung and Shiels will have to stand up. And Whitecross, who came in late. They may not end up losing too badly immediately but with Burgoyne and Hodge about to join Mitchell and Lewis and no draft relief Hawthorn may have a tough few years.

Hawthorn were on a knife edge in 2016, despite winning as many games as they did. Perfectly placed to tumble down the ladder. Shame they traded out their 2017 R1 pick to Saints.

I would say Lewis will impact more. When Mitchell had quiet games this year he was covered by Burgoyne ....
IMO it's not so much a problem of the individual skills the Hawks are losing there. It's that their older core group has such strong willpower/leadership/self-belief and that group with its never say die attitude is now quite significantly diluted. They won between 2 and 5 games last year that seemed to have got away from them. In similar scenarios in 2017, and without Mitchell and Lewis, they'll probably lose.
Mind you I had the same viewpoint about the late 90s Kangaroos and they bled champions for what seemed like a decade before dropping back a notch.

Hawthorn were on a knife edge in 2016, despite winning as many games as they did. Perfectly placed to tumble down the ladder. Shame they traded out their 2017 R1 pick to Saints.
Too bad we didn't jump in there. When they gave St Kilda #23 and #36 for #10 we had #9 and then nothing till #49. And we then wouldn't have had to trade away our 2017 first to get us some early picks. But it would have meant we would have had the option of trading the Hawks 2017 first-rounder to get into the 2016 first round or starting 2016 at #23 and having two 2017 first-rounders.
Two first rounders in this draft is all very well but I would like to know where we're going to get a first-rounder for 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back