Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cotchin a Brownlow Medalist, just let that sink in!

It's up there with S Woewodin's win.

The AFL never ceases to amaze.

Mitchell probably deserves one despite being a campaigner, but Robbie Gray's* morning dump is a more deserving Brownlow medallist than Trent Cotchin.

*insert Scott Pendlebury, Josh Kennedy, Joel Selwood or any number of other players in Robbie Gray's place if desired

That system doesn't work at all, they are always able to get two top draft picks every year, what other clubs get that opportunity? The Afl has no idea, the Bulldogs saved their arse this year, how much did the afl pay off the umpires in the GF?
They got 11 first round picks in 2011, the year before they started and that was on top of the zone selections they had, also the selections of out-of-contract players and trades they were able to make for the mini-draft. We did not have our eleventh first round draftee until 2003.

If you get banned for a week for a high hit you are ineligible for the Brownlow and it goes to the next person.

If you are banned for a year for taking PEDS...

The Advertiser said:
HOLDFAST Bay Council doubts Glenelg Football Club will ever repay all of its $2.3 million debt to ratepayers, as the club seeks to have the entire loan written off.

The council’s audit committee last month analysed the club’s finances and predicted there was a chance the Tigers would struggle to repay $400,000 of the loan.

The council adjusted its accounts last week to reflect the fact that it might never get all the money back.

Club president Nick Chigwidden said the Tigers would like the council to relieve all of its debt but it had not requested any particular amount.

“We’re willing to work with them for anything,” Mr Chigwidden said.
Full article: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/west-beaches/holdfast-bay-council-doubts-glenelg-football-club-will-pay-back-debt-as-it-seeks-to-have-loan-written-off/news-story/d9678690cca40aea5c3c06ccce108dec

Nick Chigwidden said:
“We’re willing to work with them for anything.”
You are 'willing to work with them'? How generous of you to extend council that opportunity. I am sure they would prefer all of their money be repaid, but at least you are willing to work with them on that.

Nick Chigwidden said:
“We’ve got to work together with them for a solution that helps Glenelg Football Club but doesn’t put the council in a compromising position.”
I think stripping $2.3 million from your local community, then asking it be forgiven, is putting council in a rather compromising position.

The Advertiser said:
In February, the Glenelg Football Club announced it had made a $571,000 loss for the year ending October 2015, sparking worries it would not be able to field a team in 2017.

As well as its debt to the council, it owes $1.2 million to ANZ for its bistro.
The Advertiser said:
The club launched a Save the Tigers debt demolition campaign in June in the hope of getting $1 million in donations. So far it has raised $100,000.
The Advertiser said:
Holdfast Bay business services manager Ian Walker said the club’s $2.3 million debt to the council was still “due and payable”.
Laughing-Crying-Meme-10.jpg

Last edited:
I think stripping $2.3 million from your local community, then asking it be forgiven, is putting council in a rather compromising position.

But think about all the premierships they have bought back to glenelg. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually the right call. As I alluded to above, I reckon people just didn't want Cotchin to have it.

No.

No. No. No. No. No.

This isn't the Olympics where Cotchell physically came second to the drug cheat, a la Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson at Seoul '88. It's that there are so many variables that go into the relevant Essendon players' votes being expunged.

If the logic is that Jobe and friends' votes are ostensibly erased/invalidated and everyone else moves up a place on the leaderboard, this logically should extend to matches where Jobe received votes. 2 votes become 3, 1 vote becomes 2. What of the 4th best afield who is now effectively 3rd best, etc. Except we can't do that because reviewing performances would be incredibly subjective/arbitrary, like that retrospective Norm Smith thing that never grew legs a few years ago.

Just vacate the award like Bush's Heisman and the Storm's premierships. That Brownlow is just as tainted and should disappear into the ether.

The theory is the same as any other suspended player. They aren't meeting 'fairest' part of b&f, so they are ignored from final tallies.

There's no "oh if then" recalculation done when some bloke is suspended for a week. same thing here

Congrats Cotchin & Mitchell

"Nothing comes ahead of the comp fairness and integrity" Oh sure AFL, I nearly puked when I heard that..what a load of crock. There is absolutely no equity or fairness in the AFL and you know it.
Well their right except for the draw, timeslots, academy's, traveling, having a away jumper and stand alone blockbuster games.

The theory is the same as any other suspended player. They aren't meeting 'fairest' part of b&f, so they are ignored from final tallies.

There's no "oh if then" recalculation done when some bloke is suspended for a week. same thing here

Congrats Cotchin & Mitchell
This is true, if a person is suspended they still can accumulate votes.

it's not logical at all though

You and I may not agree with it, but it certainly is logical.

IIRC the Crows were able to trade into the first round after their sanctions were applied. Similar logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back