Review Port V Melb: Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Nup. Ken thought that teams would work out how to beat Port's blitzkrieg attack and tried to adjust the game plan to out manoeuvre them.

The thing is that the other teams never worked it out and instead Port is tripping over its own feet not playing its natural game.

perverse
I like it
be what ya wanna be
do what ya wanna do
yeah
boom boom boom boom boom boom
oooooooooo
the masters apprentices

This might be our Hawthorn moment. They lost rd 8 and 10 by 19 and 14 points respectively after racking up half a dozen injuries. They had a bye in rd 9. They lost Clarkson after the Rd10 game against us and then under the new coach scratched out an ugly 7 pt win against the GWS at home. They won that game and then the next 4.

Last edited:

God the bleating about that Watts/Wingard decision is ******* me off.

It's a free kick every day of the week and has been for years. If you're running back with the flight to a player waiting to mark you have to keep your eyes on the ball the whole time and not make heavy contact.

Watts is guilty on both counts. Plus he got Wingard high. Melbourne supporters can blame the umps all they want but that sort of incident is always a free.

If we're not in a heavy training schedule then I think we are in big trouble- is it possible that Darren Burgess overdid it in Dubai? We won't know till October.

That was not exactly the most entertaining game of football I've ever seen in my life.

Lobbe- well I thought he got beat by Jamar. He's suffering from having to do everything week after week, and he's really paying the price now for Jarred Redden's injury. There's just not much we can do about this though, we just have to nurse him through the season as best we can. Let's learn a lesson from this and draft an extra ruckman for next year though, huh?

Ebert- here you go Ken, earn your coaching stripes and get Brad Ebert's football ability back. Clearly trying his guts out and getting the ball and spudding it up. "Oh Brad", I said in exasperation so often that Mrs P. noted it...

White/Polec - no wonder we don't look the same side. High fliers who lose their wingmen will crash to earth, and so it is with us. Need to turn these guys back on if we're going to turn our season around.

Wingard- so is 2013 the real Chad Wingard, or is 2014? If it's 2014 then we have problems.

Young- one of our better players I thought- but still finding the gap between SANFL and AFL hard to bridge.

We got the win and I'm so glad it's the week off. The good thing is there's lots of questions about other top 4 teams as well- Freo and Geelong aren't stable bets for the top four either. We've still time to turn things around if we can just seize the day. Now we can take stock, rest, recover and reload. A tough run home and then a finals series- (hopefully! not going to assume anything anymore) and we'll know more about our players and who is the real deal in the next eight to ten weeks.

And we'll also know a lot more about Ken Hinkley too.

Carn Port Adelaide!

That was a free to Wingard, it doesn't matter that the ball was touched first. Contact was made to the head. You can not make contact to the head - ergo free kick...

The only time I can think of where a free is not given for contact to the head is a head clash between opposing players (happened to lobbe last week from memory).

Umpires need to take control of the game, Holding the ball is the obvious one. Taking on 2,3 or even 4 tacklers and not legally disposing it = free kick. Spinning 360 degrees while being tackled = free kick. Being tackled and dropping the ball like a stunned gazelle = a free kick. None of this "it came out in the tackle" rubbish...

But it's not just Holding the ball that needs addressing. The constant guernsey pulling during leads and marking contests or grabbing a player BEFORE they have taken possession is an issue. Holding the man is barely paid correctly any more.

All players are taught this basic rule at U8 level. If your opponent does not have the ball and you grab him it's a free kick. Boak, Schulz, Hoff, Gray are always getting scragged and grabbed before taking possession.

Every defender (including Port defenders) do it. Its one of Jason Dunstalls bug bears and it's one of the few things I agree with him on.

I know the umps can't get all the decisions right, but at least get the majority of the basic rule judgements correct and we can all leave the game less frustrated...

This from Harry Thring...

Melbourne would have entered the final break in front had it not been for a contentious umpiring decision gifting Chad Wingard a late goal.

Mr Ding appears to be saying that the umps cost Melbourne the game. A pity he didn't look at acouple of other incidents earlier in the game particularly one involving Bernie Vince.

I have had a look at that decision several times and as magpower83 says it definitely was worth a free kick. Wingard is hit high and Watts is not making any attempt at a spoil despite what he says to the ump.

Last edited:
grindsmygears3.jpg

I can understand this, but when people are calling it when its obviously not holding the ball..... For example ball gets kicked into our 50, ball gets spoiled, Dees player goes to crumb it but is tackled at the same time. "BALLLLLLLL"

I'm fairly sure that was given as holding the ball though.

Bank the win. Good to see wingards touch back. Hoffs miss in last quarter was a disgrace but defensively made a made it up. The most frustrating is no forward line. Sling shot don't work when you don't spread super hard and be brave. Our game plan is based on brave and due to confidence so low, it diminishes into average tentative and rugby style maules. We need a spark after break

.... It was like walking into a time warp back to latter day Choco era football today. Play short solely down the wings. Direct all our kicks inside 50 as deep as wide as humanly possible without the ball going on the full and relying on the ball up/throw in to win the ball inside 50 and score. It was ugly ugly ugly. There was no redeeming feature about that win at all except for the fact we won the 4 points. I'll say it now, we didnt deserve to win that game at all. .......
This

...... Was an awful game, glad to get the 4 points but walked away feeling like I do after a loss. ......
and this. :mad:

Lots of possible reasons for our rut, but I have confidence we will turn it around after the bye in time for a tilt at top four but more importantly an aggressive tilt at playing good Finals footy.
1) Structure is key: as was the case in rds 6-10 last year, we fell in a collective hole when we lost structure behind the ball without the aerial confidence and strategic positioning of Trengove. It set a domino effect in motion then, as it has now, with Jonas struggling as a key defender and us missing his third man up and nullifying ability on sneaky small-mid forwards.
I don't want us to drop O'Shea in a hurry when Carlile and then Trengove come back. There is an assuredness (people will find that hard to believe) about the way he and Pittard relentlessly keep attacking and taking the game on, that is not part of Broadbent's game.
2) we need our outside runners to find form, confidence and fitness. Currently of our smaller players who go into the midfield, only Gray, Boak and Wines can hold their heads high. Something has to click with Ebert, Polec, White, Hartlett, Wingard and Monfries. If it doesn't, we have to accept that that player(s) has had ample time to find his groove, and substitute him with one of our two ball winning mids in the SANFL: Moore and Newton.
3) No more experimenting with Mitchell or S Gray at AFL level. They didn't take their chances against teams outside the top eight over the last month. No more chances against sides in the run to September. If we bring in smalls they need to add to our contested ball winning the way that Newton did in the last quarter yesterday.
4) please, let something click in John Butcher. We (and I suspect Ken) have held hope all year for him to find his mojo. Let him click, force his way in ahead of Paul Stewart and give our forward line the extra dimension it so badly needs.

Melbourne would have entered the final break in front had it not been for a contentious umpiring decision gifting Chad Wingard a late goal.

Mr Ding appears to be saying that the umps cost Melbourne the game. A pity he didn't look at acouple of other incidents earlier in the game particularly one involving Bernie Vince.

I have had a look at that decision several times and as magpower83 says it definitely was worth a free kick. Wingard is hit high and Watts is not making any attempt at a spoil despite what he says to the ump.

that was a free kick every day of the week. commentators are a disgrace and every week are pro melbourne teams. who cares if he got the ball, fact is that he whacked him in the head too. if it was an incident off the ball and there was head high contact would it have been a free? well there is also your answer as to whether this was a free.

vince is a knob. they got so many stupid frees that i almost punched the tv.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That umpiring decision was only 'contentious' because all the Demons players milled around arguing and because the siren went. They didnt need to run back in to any positions so they could all afford to set on the umpire. Forearm to head, front on..free kick every day of the week.

The Vince incident you refer to wouldn't be the hand on throat incident involving Kane would it? Can't believe there was no free paid there (even if contact was not as forceful as Kane made it out to be it was still high) and then they pay 50 metres against Robbie for swatting a fly off Nathan Jones' gut.

If my memory serves me well that led to a goal and momentum to Melbourne heading into half time.

Unfortunately, or should that be fortunately, I was unable to get a leave pass from my Grand Daughters first birthday, however I am able to procure a 1914 heritage Guernsey for playing the family first card, so that is a score for me.

I knew we were in for a hard time when I see Creighton's head all over my 75" Samsung as soon as NTUA comes on, man I nearly regurgitated my wood oven pizza I had just made.

I hate watching our home games on TV as I am like a cat on a hot tin roof and as some of our guests roll in they all have to interrupt my viewing and the Cow supporters among them (well one anyway) comes in and says "not looking good is it" and has a little sfellow. What a pity it is you can't choose (make that shoot) your relatives.

Anyway my 3 three things from the game are

my tickets went to a good Port home,
we got a win,
we now have a break.

Melbourne pfffft they rely on the ugliest game plan in the world got lucky with free kicks and ******* god awful bounces ... I fell for jay must be a repetitive nightmare Thursday nights ....
Westhoff new he would miss that goal going back to his tanunda couldn't kick crucial goals lucky he is a superior athlete ohhh robbie good that you can duck and weave but kick a goal or two also

Ugly, ugly ugly. Hy hand still hurts from hitting the rail in front of my seat in frustration.
Glad for 4 points but, roger me with a garden broom, something is not right. Hopefully its hard training.

and the Melbourne supporters that are bleating like New Zealand sheep at pub closing time - forearm to the face is a free kick anywhere, anytime. Being gifted a few "free" kicks from your umpire mates is all that kept you close anyway.

One thing i learned yesterday. Was that. Ollie carry's us when the chips are down.this if boak is the heart beat and Jako is our spine then Ollie. Is our lungs.

shout out to all the Jasper haters, this kid is so brave love his game.

week off, freshen up because finals are looming.( i need a week of after that game)

Hartlett is definitely carrying something.

Paul Stewart looked like the answer to our woes in that first quarter, freeing up Westhoff.

Jack Watts had one of the most dominant quarters I have seen in the third. Was definitely weird seeing Kane tag someone 196cm tall.

Macca19's review sums it all up beautifully. We are now playing an awkward, defensive, match-saving style of footy. This is not the style that has won us raves as one of the most watchable teams in the comp, and helped us knock off more favoured teams. But what an amazing form drop from individual players. White, Polec and Ebert are unrecognisable from prior to the Sydney game.

.... Stealing the "Good, Bad, Ugly" conceit from the Cows' board. Really?
Agreed. It's used more widely than the bovines but I liked our way better. "Good, Bad, Ugly" has negativity structured into it. Not that we aren't capable of having a whinge anyway but why ask every poster to post something bad and ugly?

Anyone who thought the Watts contest wasn't a free kick to Wingard obviously hasn't taken any notice of the way the game has been umpired for the last ten years. As soon as you make front-on contact with a player it's a free kick. That's just the way the game is umpired. Like it or loathe it. On top of that it looked on the replay as if Watts collected Wingard high on the way through.

Yet we have Mr. Porter in The Age suggesting Demons fans should feel hard done by:

The defining moment came seconds before the three-quarter-time siren when replays clearly showed Jack Watts had punched the ball first in a marking contest with Port’s Chad Wingard, but was penalised for high contact. Wingard was given a free and gifted a goal after the siren, giving Port a two-point lead.

Melbourne coach Paul Roos diplomatically suggested there were errors by his players that were also costly, but nothing will change the opinions of Demon fans that they were robbed.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ma...fl-thriller-20140720-zv14p.html#ixzz381A5MMZO

Is he for real?

Even if you put aside the fact it was clearly a free, how on earth was it a "defining moment"? Melbourne hit the lead late in the 4th and had all the momentum. They should have gone on and won, really.

Defining moment. LOL. * off Porter, you hack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back