News Post COVID-19 fixture discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership hasn't been reduced - yet. Let's just see how many sign up in 2021...

The profits we made in in our premiership years will not exist for the very reasons outlined in my previous post - ALL revenue streams will be significantly reduced from 2021 onwards.

TAS are choosing not to have us because the AFL are dangling the carrot of having a Tassie team... how is that not an AFL influenced approach? You mention that historically we have made far more out of the Tasie deal than Tasie has. Probably. But not this year.

You are framing most of your arguments in an historical context. Everything as it was no longer exists. Business, whether you are a sole trader or multinational behemoth has changed irrrevocably. Look at the circumstances now, and for the foreseeable future, and if you predicate our perfromance purely on the past, you are doomed thinking we'll do as well as we have.

I agree we are one of the most well run businesses. No question. But some very well run businesses across the globe are haemorrhaging cash due to COVID. We are not immune to this.

PS: If you think the AFL does not have an agenda against Hawthorn, think again. Our threepeat was the antithesis of the competition model upon which the AFL predicates its existence - they are determined that we will not be able to challenge fairly for the foreseeable future. Next time you moan about umpiring, think about that.
And there it is. "It's all a conspiracy against Hawthorn"

Not that can't already been seen on the tv or interwebs. None of the sponsors are going to lose sleep if the 10K at the ground don't see their logo. The net loss from that non exposure will be negligible.
And they're not going to make a deal about it to the club if the club isn't getting home games. The club doesn't control that.

10k x 11 = £110k. Plus sales derived from that advertising. For SMEs, especially in a revenue restricted/non-existent environment such as COVID, means a lot.

The club does have control over the amount of home games. It is standard each club plays an 11/11 split. At the very least that is the expectation - worst case is 10/11, with the additional game a home game at Marvel.

This season, it can either be 8/9 or 9/8. We are staring down the barrel of 5/12, or worst case 3/14.

Just pointing out the facts - most teams will play away games at the Gabba and Gold Coast, we are playing all our away games at our opponents actual home ground.
Collingwood v Sydney tonight = neutral venue
Geelong v North last night = neutral venue
Richmond v Dogs a week ago = neutral venue

... and you get my drift.

If we get the Suns at Metricon, that'll be every Melbourne team bar Brisbane on their home deck. That's offset by having a home game on North's home deck.

Whilst the draw is never fair, how do you think this is fair?

Why can't we hub in Perth or Brisbane, and have the Adelaide clubs play us there? We could then have a clear run home playing out of the Gabba, Optus or Metricon. There's no reason not to. A bit like how Geelong managed to get so many Kardinia Park games before the VIC shutdown... now, where's Steven Hocking?

Last edited:

Collingwood v Sydney tonight = neutral venue
Geelong v North last night = neutral venue
Richmond v Dogs a week ago = neutral venue

... and you get my drift.

If we get the Suns at Metricon, that'll be every Melbourne team bar Brisbane on their home deck. That's offset by having a home game on North's home deck.

Whilst the draw is never fair, how do you think this is fair?

Why can't we hub in Perth or Brisbane, and have the Adelaide clubs play us there? We could then have a clear run home playing out of the Gabba, Optus or Metricon. There's no reason not to. A bit like how Geelong managed to get so many Kardinia Park games before the VIC shutdown... now, where's Steven Hocking?
HAWKER44 - I have inadvertently implied you think this is fair - not the case - comes down to my pisspoor knowledge of how to use the BigFooty interface!

I'm not sure we'll play Adelaide away after Port, you'd think everyone would have a 9/8 or 8/9 split, that would be impossible for us if we play Adelaide in Adelaide unless we're hosting them at the AO ? I'd expect our last 5 home games to be in QLD or a mixture of QLD and Tas if Tas allow us.

I'm not sure we'll play Adelaide away after Port, you'd think everyone would have a 9/8 or 8/9 split, that would be impossible for us if we play Adelaide in Adelaide unless we're hosting them at the AO ? I'd expect our last 5 home games to be in QLD or a mixture of QLD and Tas if Tas allow us.
I hope you're right, but the AFL will not give a hoot whether we play Adelaide home or away. They'll see us in Adelaide, and think great, how convenient, they're in Adelaide...

Home games to round 13 - you have to have 8 or 9 this season

Actual Home GamesHome Team Away VenueTotal
Adelaide617
Brisbane66
Carlton235
Collingwood426
Essendon347
Fremantle628
Geelong347
Gold Coast99
GWS66
Hawthorn123
Melbourne347
North235
Port527
Richmond246
St.Kilda325
Sydney415
Dogs336
West Coast628
Anyone think there's no agenda from the AFL against Hawthorn?

If there is, it's not on the back of that.

What are they meant to have done? Games couldn't be played in Victoria or Tasmania.

If they wanted to really screw us then they would have given us nominal home games early (eg. Our games against Melbourne, Collingwood, Carlton would have been our home game and counted towards our home 8-9 home games for the season) and then in the back half of the year if Victoria or Tassie had become available for games they could be like "well too bad, you've had your 'home' game quota already".

I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt that our lack of nominal home games to this point is actually the AFL trying their best to give us the opportunity to host a Tassie hub at some point. It might not happen, but that's down to factors outside of the AFL's control.

And yes, our home game against North at Marvel was really poor fixturing but hardly evidence that they're out to get us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I reckon the AFL have done a bloody good job managing to get as far as they have. I’m enjoying watching my team play once a week and I think kudos needs to be given to all those that have made this possible - AFL HQ and HFC alike.

Personally, I reckon the AFL have done a bloody good job managing to get as far as they have. I’m enjoying watching my team play once a week and I think kudos needs to be given to all those that have made this possible - AFL HQ and HFC alike.
Look, I agree, it's a miracle we have a season, so I am probably being precious.

But I still can't see how it ends up with one team so massively disadvantaged - a little bit of thought would have balanced things up a bit.

Look, I agree, it's a miracle we have a season, so I am probably being precious.

But I still can't see how it ends up with one team so massively disadvantaged - a little bit of thought would have balanced things up a bit.
If things work out well we could end up with 4 games in tassie as the home team. So this might play in our favour. And if it doesn't, well we got to ride the bumps with a grin ;)

If things work out well we could end up with 4 games in tassie as the home team. So this might play in our favour. And if it doesn't, well we got to ride the bumps with a grin ;)
Well, it's certainly being done "the hard way".

Ill wait til next yr to judge.
If we get the standard fixture where we play away games early vs richmond and Essendon (big drawing games), and Collingwood late in the season (thus reducing attendance) I'll be pissed

Buddy, Mate, Champ - sure sign one has had the chain yanked.
Look, I'm not going to continue this after this post. Just because you've convinced yourself that there's a conspiracy against the Hawks exists, doesn't mean there is one. Your blind stubbornness makes you look like a mouth-breather, but even some of the mouth-breathers on here aren't stupid enough to believe there's a conspiracy against Hawthorn.

Read this: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0147905

Do you have any idea how many people would have to be in on this to keep it quiet, including Jeff Kennett, Justin Reeves and the board for it to go on for this long and never have even the slightest whisper that one exists? And then how quickly it would come out with how many people would know it?

Read what cryptor posted. That's probably the most likely reason we aren't getting home games. If the AFL hated us, we'd have our home games in Cairns.

And don't reply to this. Just read the journal and work it out for yourself. Then if you're not convinced, which I'm sure you won't be, go start a Reddit sub-forum about the AFL's conspiracy against Hawthorn.

Look, I'm not going to continue this after this post. Just because you've convinced yourself that there's a conspiracy against the Hawks exists, doesn't mean there is one. Your blind stubbornness makes you look like a mouth-breather, but even some of the mouth-breathers on here aren't stupid enough to believe there's a conspiracy against Hawthorn.

Read this: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0147905

Do you have any idea how many people would have to be in on this to keep it quiet, including Jeff Kennett, Justin Reeves and the board for it to go on for this long and never have even the slightest whisper that one exists? And then how quickly it would come out with how many people would know it?

Read what cryptor posted. That's probably the most likely reason we aren't getting home games. If the AFL hated us, we'd have our home games in Cairns.

And don't reply to this. Just read the journal and work it out for yourself. Then if you're not convinced, which I'm sure you won't be, go start a Reddit sub-forum about the AFL's conspiracy against Hawthorn.
To add I think the fixturing for us in this current WA hub period has been one of the more favourable for clubs. They pushed back our game against Carlton by a day when logistics allowed it which gave us an extra days rest (Carlton got it too, but I'd argue we needed it a lot more than they did). Our 'bye' scheduling in particular has been especially favourable as it's given us a decent enough break (10 days) to regroup and get some training sessions while also allowing us to avoid anything less than a 6 day break between games. I know off the top of my head that the Pies and the Cats have copped multiple 4-5 day breaks in this same period.

My question having not being in this thread for a while is will we be based in WA for the rest of the season or are we going in and out of Adelaide from Queensland like most other clubs have done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back