Preview Practice Match: Crows vs Port, Saturday Feb 27/2/21 @ 11am

Remove this Banner Ad

better to give contracts on potential than as a golden thank you on the way out.

Billy’s done pretty well the last couple of weeks though. Not much to dislike

Absolutely, provided the people giving the contracts can be reasonably trusted to have made assessments which approach accurate. That's my concern.

Absolutely, provided the people giving the contracts can be reasonably trusted to have made assessments which approach accurate. That's my concern.

true.

Sloane’s golden thank you is not just too long, it’s the biggest contract at the club.

Billy so far is looking ok on what will be a fairly modest amount

"far more" is a bit of a stretch mate.

Forwards that "bash and crash"...nothing wrong with that if you have the talent at their feet....and I must say Billy looked half decent in the ruck yesterday matched up against Lycett.
I forget who it was that said especially with talls, they need a really strong appetite for the contest. It was in reference I think to Schache.

Culturally, this year's AFC is no different than previous years. Nicks won't be an agent of change, he will have been the most aligned applicant. He was selected by Roo, Chapman and Fagan, how far from the norm would you exoect he could be? There's plenty of evidence already, Seedsman in at centre bounces again while there's talented kids not getting a crack, and in a trial game, is all the evidence required. Don Pyke v2.0, which is actually Neil Craig v3.0.
Jesus, you are such a joy.

true.

Sloane’s golden thank you is not just too long, it’s the biggest contract at the club.

Billy so far is looking ok on what will be a fairly modest amount

Sure. I'm not really comparing the two.

Just the relatively limited point that we cannot rely upon Frampton's contact length as an indicator that there is actually something there, because the same club thought that there was five years of value in Sloane, and three years of premium Lynch left and gave us that rather than superdraft capital.

As a strategy I'd quite happily offer bigger contracts to younger players that haven't yet reached their full capacity at another club- that's part of the moneyball thing- buy low. Its just our club's terrible at all assessments, and so we're just as likely to offer it to low end talents that have actually peaked.

Sure. I'm not really comparing the two.

Just the relatively limited point that we cannot rely upon Frampton's contact length as an indicator that there is actually something there, because the same club thought that there was five years of value in Sloane, and three years of premium Lynch left and gave us that rather than superdraft capital.

As a strategy I'd quite happily offer bigger contracts to younger players that haven't yet reached their full capacity at another club- that's part of the moneyball thing- buy low. Its just our club's terrible at all assessments, and so we're just as likely to offer it to low end talents that have actually peaked.

what I’m saying is that we recruited him and gave him a decent length of contract. He’s not someone we were totally ambivalent about

You weren’t seriously expecting us to turn up and take it to the Power
No!

Was in reference to our only classy player with speed doing his knee and out for the year

I think he does have the game/size to play as a key forward, we are just terrible at isolating forwards and doubly so when Walker is there. We also are set on the idea of playing him outside the forward line in a Lynch role when he is clearly a full forward type

It is quite possible getting rid of Tex does provoke an upswing in performance, however I'm not too sure isolating Fog one out is going to make too much of a difference, unless you are really giving him a mismatch against the oppositions mid defender. I do not think Fog has the football smarts to survive if he's undersized, and at 193 cm, he's a lot closer to undersized as a key tall.

We're definitely just trying to accommodate four talls instead of accepting us getting it working was a fluke in 2016-17. I'd chuck Fog in the midfield, personally. He's aggressive, bigger then most '(which I reckon Darcy needs to be) and a very good user of the football.

Actually an important loss to have

Don't want the coaches to get any hope whatsoever that we can climb up the ladder or sneak into the 8 this season or next and play our oldest available team as a result.

Maybe (hopefully) they were aware anyway but, if not, a timely reminder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is quite possible getting rid of Tex does provoke an upswing in performance, however I'm not too sure isolating Fog one out is going to make too much of a difference, unless you are really giving him a mismatch against the oppositions mid defender. I do not think Fog has the football smarts to survive if he's undersized, and at 193 cm, he's a lot closer to undersized as a key tall.

We're definitely just trying to accommodate four talls instead of accepting us getting it working was a fluke in 2016-17. I'd chuck Fog in the midfield, personally. He's aggressive, bigger then most '(which I reckon Darcy needs to be) and a very good user of the football.
He beat Shannon Hurn one-on-one in 2019.

what I’m saying is that we recruited him and gave him a decent length of contract. He’s not someone we were totally ambivalent about

Agree, that's a reasonable assessment on that evidence, though we now have the additional evidence that is our refusal to play him last year.

The degree of inconsistency and incompetence in our club makes it it very hard to form reasonable assessments of their views at any given time based upon past actions I suppose.

Did he get football stupider from being at our club, because he began his career with remarkable footballing instincts.

What happened to the player from that round 2 match against richmond? We AFC'd him?

Interesting going back and looking at Pete Williams Draft Bio on Fogarty...

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "The best South Australian draft prospect who may transition to an inside midfielder if he can improve his endurance"
OVERVIEW
Darcy Fogarty came into the season as a contender for the No.1 pick, after showing great signs in the finals for Glenelg Under 18s in 2016. After booting seven goals exclusively as a forward in the 2016 National Under 18 Championships – including four against the Allies – there was hope the big bodied Fogarty could transition to an inside midfield role. He started the season at SANFL League level, averaging 12 disposals – before returning to South Australia in the Under 18 carnival. Fogarty’s role wasn’t clear throughout the carnival, playing in the midfield and up forward – but looking slightly off the pace and lethargic at times. Perhaps his best game was under lights at Simonds Stadium, where he played as a rebounding defender – using his long kick to effectiveness. However, it was apparent that all was not right with the strapping on Fogarty’s knee indicating that he was carrying a niggle. Fogarty was soon booked in for surgery on a small meniscus tear and was ruled out for the remainder of the season. Fogarty is able to kick the ball on either foot and use his strength up forward – but the big question for club recruiters is just where does Fogarty play his best football and in what position. The million dollar question for some is – will he ever end up a midfielder?
STRENGTHS
  • Clean hands
  • Decision making
  • Strength
  • Kicking
In the contest, Fogarty possesses quick and clean hands that allow him to get the ball out to teammates to clear a pack. On the occasions where he has played as an inside midfielder, he has shown this trait to be effective in allowing him to get a clearance and dish the ball out to the outside runners.
When he plays, Fogarty makes good decisions where he plays and hits the targets more often that not. On the inside, he is smart to get the ball out to the runners on the outside and he gets to the right position to win the ball. Inside 50, his leading work is pretty good. Fogarty possesses a thumping right foot kick, but has shown that his left is just as effective – with both easily able to sail over 50 metres. His kicking efficiency in the National Under 18 Championships this year was impressive, going at an elite 80.6 per cent efficiency. At 192cm, his strength in the contest has been important, while up forward he has shown he can take contested marks as an option inside 50. As a bigger bodied that most Under 18 players, Fogarty has been able to out muscle players in the SANFL Under 18s last year and against some other top contenders in the draft pool. In one of his better performances at South Australian level, Fogarty clunked three contested marks and booted two goals against Western Australia last year.
IMPROVEMENTS
  • Endurance
  • Clear position at next level
  • Ball winning
For Fogarty to move into the midfield in the future – his running and endurance need to improve. While Fogarty didn’t test at the NAB AFL Draft Combine due to his knee injury, he ran a 12.10 beep test earlier in the season – a figure which is below average. If he can regain full fitness after knee surgery and works hard during the preseason, it’s a number that Fogarty can improve in order to push into senior calculations for the club that select him.
An question that a lot of clubs have raised is “where does Fogarty play at the next level?” Fogarty has played as a third tall utility at either end, as showing some form as an inside midfielder for Glenelg last year in the SANFL Under 18s final series. It’s fesible that in his first year, Fogarty will likely start as a third tall at either end and continue to work on his endurance and his inside midfield craft. His ball winning numbers aren’t overly high, averaging 11.5 disposals in the National Under 18 Championships – and on the occasions he has played as an inside midfielder at SANFL level, his return wasn’t overly high. While he has smarts in the contest, an improved endurance base and ball winning capabilities might help him translate to a midfielder. But the question is will he? Or might he just be a third tall at either end, in a similar mould to an Aaron Francis.
DRAFT PROJECTION: 5-15
SUMMARY
Darcy Fogarty has shown glimpses in 2017 and a knee injury curtailed his season ensuring that we wouldn’t see the best of Fogarty and for him to reach as high as some had hoped. With good decision making skills and quick hands in the contest suggesting a possible move into the midfield is possible down the track, he will need to address his endurance with it holding him back from being a full-time midfielder in the AFL. The question for AFL clubs is where do they see him playing his best football, and whether he becomes a midfielder or a third tall at the next level. Fogarty’s first few preseasons at AFL level will be important in answering that question as to what player the general forward translates to in years to come.

Actually an important loss to have

Don't want the coaches to get any hope whatsoever that we can climb up the ladder or sneak into the 8 this season or next and play our oldest available team as a result.

Maybe (hopefully) they were aware anyway but, if not, a timely reminder
The last game of the minor round and this one should leave us in no illusion just how far we have to get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back