Game Day Practice match Vs Port Power. Today @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know about Chol's game. Yes he kicked 3 goals which is nice. But he only had 2 marks for the game and a couple of times got pushed out of a marking contest easily. Also fumbled a few marking chances. Would love to see him be a bit stronger in the contest.. although that's been his criticism. I would say he did ok.

Got to maximise Rankine, Sexton, Ainsworth, Holman etc.. at ground level but ensuring that we don't get outworked by opposition defenders.

It should be mentioned that Aliir Aliir played on Casboult for most of yesterday and he is one of the better key defenders in the league. Simply having a bigger body who can legitimately compete with a guy like Aliir can be beneficial, even if he's not kicking goals. We know Aliir likes to fly in for the intercepting mark but I didn't see much of that yesterday and I assume it was because Casboult was wrestling with him when the ball was kicked inside 50. I highly doubt Luko, Corbett or Burgess would be able to outmuscle a guy like Aliir so you really have to take that into consideration as well. Day is capable of playing that role as well.
Thank God somebody else noted that Levi's size and potential danger means a key defender has to mark him....and that made it easier for Chol, Rankine etc to score. He won't be a huge stats guy but if he can continue to force clubs to assign one of their best defenders to him ..he's done his job

I don't know about Chol's game. Yes he kicked 3 goals which is nice. But he only had 2 marks for the game and a couple of times got pushed out of a marking contest easily. Also fumbled a few marking chances. Would love to see him be a bit stronger in the contest.. although that's been his criticism. I would say he did ok.

Got to maximise Rankine, Sexton, Ainsworth, Holman etc.. at ground level but ensuring that we don't get outworked by opposition defenders.
Very casual at times but a nice size to have hanging around down there. He'll hopefully improve as he feels more at home.

Collins, Ballard and Powell were solid in parts, and they rotate who is getting free. I think Chol might work at GC, I think being the number 1 target up forward will be good for him. This year him Corbett and Luko should combine well, by a midfield that is better served by Witts with Chol chopping out. Touk, Rowell, Anderson looked good, looking forward to seeing Hollands and Flanders rotating through there, Bowes in due time. Moyle looks like a steal!

It should be mentioned that Aliir Aliir played on Casboult for most of yesterday and he is one of the better key defenders in the league. Simply having a bigger body who can legitimately compete with a guy like Aliir can be beneficial, even if he's not kicking goals. We know Aliir likes to fly in for the intercepting mark but I didn't see much of that yesterday and I assume it was because Casboult was wrestling with him when the ball was kicked inside 50. I highly doubt Luko, Corbett or Burgess would be able to outmuscle a guy like Aliir so you really have to take that into consideration as well. Day is capable of playing that role as well.
Any chance you watched the game on TV and not at the ground? Casboult looked like a passenger for large periods of the game. Very little running power, couldn't get to aerial contests. I hope he is just unfit, as he'll add very little if he plays like that in the normal season. Happy to be proven wrong.

Just re-watched the practice.

I focused on Graham in 2nd half. I am aware he is a whipping boy here but he basically did not make a mistake except that push in the back on goal line which was very lucky call for Port. Georgiades, Marshall, Finlayson - all had no contested marks in 2nd half unless I missed some. I did not see any one-on-one contest Graham lost. He spoiled the ball on every occasion. Yes, no world beater at the moment but I would be comfortable to have him as 2nd KPD if injuries hit. He does look stronger this year again, similar to Ballard. He is only 21. I bet he stays on the list.

I also watched closely Moyle. He had 5 duels with Lysett in 1st qtr - won 2 and lost 3. He lost 2 more in 2nd qtr. Most impressive was that he was rucking most of the game while Port used Lycett (1st half), Hayes and Finlayson and as game progressed Moyle was getting better and did not look overly tired. I know who I prefer from Moyle and highly touted Hayes (3 years in the system). Moyle is very good in follow up and is competitive. He appeared to move well around the ground. He should be a beauty in a couple of years once he gets stronger. No doubt I would play him ahead of Burgess and Graham in the ruck already if he can run out games.
Excellent take on both Graham and Moyle. I'd love to know Moyle's TOG, as it seemed like he got through a mountain of work - looks like he was trying to prove a point out there. I wonder if there is any consideration of taking both him and Witts into round 1 to manage minutes.

Any chance you watched the game on TV and not at the ground? Casboult looked like a passenger for large periods of the game. Very little running power, couldn't get to aerial contests. I hope he is just unfit, as he'll add very little if he plays like that in the normal season. Happy to be proven wrong.
My understanding is that we recruited Casboult to play VFL. He was on the verge of retirement last year probably knowing that his body was cooked at this level, but we coaxed him out of it with the understanding that he'd play reserves footy and run around at state league level.

In that regard, I can't begrudge him too much for struggling against AFL bodies. I can even understand his mindset of not being too interested and just wanting to get through it. In his mind, playing AFL isn't what he signed up for. Unfortunately though with our top two KPFs injured and the fact that we seemingly aren't keen on playing Burgess in that position (dunno why, I think he offers more), he's going to be playing more minutes. So he's going to have to get his head around that. If he doesn't, things could get sour pretty quick.

Correct. The timing of the game didn't allow me to attend so I had to watch a replay on Kayo. I just noticed there were several times that we went forward and I didn't see Aliir in the contest like I normally would in a Port game so I assumed Casboult was keeping him at bay to give our other forwards a run at it. If he looked slow and unfit off the camera then I'm happy to default to someone who attended the game. As you said, hopefully it's just a fitness issue and it's something he can work into as the season progresses. FWIW I thought he contributed more in the ruck than he did in the forward line.

Is it just your opinion or you got a source? According to some Carlton supporters he wanted to continue playing AFL when Carlton let him go.
The rumour at the time was he had moved to Pottsville just over the border and intended to play local QAFL footy in 2022. Then we came knocking on his door and he reconsidered his retirement as well as his vaccination stance. That was my understanding of how it all played out.

I think Carlton were ready to move on from him at the end of last season and focus on guys like McKay/De Koning. The supporters didn't necessarily share that belief.

Correct. The timing of the game didn't allow me to attend so I had to watch a replay on Kayo. I just noticed there were several times that we went forward and I didn't see Aliir in the contest like I normally would in a Port game so I assumed Casboult was keeping him at bay to give our other forwards a run at it. If he looked slow and unfit off the camera then I'm happy to default to someone who attended the game. As you said, hopefully it's just a fitness issue and it's something he can work into as the season progresses. FWIW I thought he contributed more in the ruck than he did in the forward line.
Certainly didn't look good live, TBH he was the most disappointing player I saw out there (maybe I'm setting my expectations to high?). I'm strongly favouring a Chol, Luko, Corbett fwd line up one round.

Certainly didn't look good live, TBH he was the most disappointing player I saw out there (maybe I'm setting my expectations to high?). I'm strongly favouring a Chol, Luko, Corbett fwd line up one round.
I'd like to see Chol, Luko and Corbett play together before I make any strong suggestions. Although Casboult seemingly didn't do a lot, our forward line functioned pretty well on Friday.

Let's see how we go against Geelong next Monday before we make a call on Casboult :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just your opinion or you got a source? According to some Carlton supporters he wanted to continue playing AFL when Carlton let him go.
Totally just my opinion based on the fact that he seemed ready to move on with his life very quickly after his days at Carlton were done. Moved interstate to northern NSW or where-ever he ended up and keen to play QAFL - a league where someone like him can just stand in the square and kick 20 goals a game. Happy to defer to Carlton supporters who obviously understand the situation more and followed it closer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back