Game Day Practice match Vs Port Power. Today @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

I had the replay on in background whilst doing other things and had half an eye on it.

Hoping others can fill me in.

Sounded like Powell, Davies, Anderson, Miller, sharp amongst our best.

Getting a bit hyperbolic here.. but moyle reminded me of a very young and raw max Gawn or Oscar mcinerney. Big tall ruckman who is mobile, can read the play and get to the right place to mark.

How did rowell go? Heard his name a bit - but did he look to have his dynamic burst back?

Weller taking kick outs but did he get involved in general play much?

Do we know goal kickers?
Chol 3, Davies 2, Sharp 2, Corbett 1,

I had the replay on in background whilst doing other things and had half an eye on it.

Hoping others can fill me in.

Sounded like Powell, Davies, Anderson, Miller, sharp amongst our best.

Getting a bit hyperbolic here.. but moyle reminded me of a very young and raw max Gawn or Oscar mcinerney. Big tall ruckman who is mobile, can read the play and get to the right place to mark.

How did rowell go? Heard his name a bit - but did he look to have his dynamic burst back?

Weller taking kick outs but did he get involved in general play much?

Do we know goal kickers?
Chol 3, Davies 2, Sharp 2, Corbett 1,
I would say it was easily the best I’ve seen Rowell play since the first injury. Had his trademark jump into the bottom of the pack and emerge with the ball to set up an attack a few times, however you have to keep in mind it was only practice and I don’t think either team were going full throttle in there. Was fairly good in open play with out many highlights or key plays I think. Definitely very promising signs.

It’s hard to predict the development of the big man as they can come from nowhere but I thought Moyle was actually better than expected for a 20 year old with 6months in the system under his belt and keeping in mind he was going up against Lycett and Hayes. Quite solid for his age and it gave me hope he will be primed to take over once Witts starts slowing down in a few years.

Weller’s pace and kicking is going to be so crucial for us. Pretty reliable kick or if he does turn it over it is 60m down field. Him, Powell and Markov (and Buddas when he is back) is going to be real dangerous. Seemed to fit right in down there.

Corbett had 2, Sexton and Rankine were the other goals.

Chol was good also.

You look at Davies and Anderson and it's hard to believe they are the same height.
Davies definitely plays more upright, whereas Anderson doesn't really play like a tall midfielder.

Weller was great with the kick outs. Powell tried to be creative when he took to kick outs but kept running himself into trouble and wasn't quite sharp enough with the decision making.

Weller was great with the kick outs. Powell tried to be creative when he took to kick outs but kept running himself into trouble and wasn't quite sharp enough with the decision making.
Agree! Weller also often looked for that 30m kick then ran to receive and kick it a further 50-60m downfield getting the defense out of trouble. Didn't often see the long bomb down the line from the goal square which was great.

Agree! Weller also often looked for that 30m kick then ran to receive and kick it a further 50-60m downfield getting the defense out of trouble. Didn't often see the long bomb down the line from the goal square which was great.
I much prefer Weller with the kick-in duties with his penetrating and accurate darts than Bowesy with his slower loopy kicks. Plus as mentioned above, Weller scoots a good 15-25m faster before kicking. Really turbocharges our counterattacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just re-watched the practice.

I focused on Graham in 2nd half. I am aware he is a whipping boy here but he basically did not make a mistake except that push in the back on goal line which was very lucky call for Port. Georgiades, Marshall, Finlayson - all had no contested marks in 2nd half unless I missed some. I did not see any one-on-one contest Graham lost. He spoiled the ball on every occasion. Yes, no world beater at the moment but I would be comfortable to have him as 2nd KPD if injuries hit. He does look stronger this year again, similar to Ballard. He is only 21. I bet he stays on the list.

I also watched closely Moyle. He had 5 duels with Lysett in 1st qtr - won 2 and lost 3. He lost 2 more in 2nd qtr. Most impressive was that he was rucking most of the game while Port used Lycett (1st half), Hayes and Finlayson and as game progressed Moyle was getting better and did not look overly tired. I know who I prefer from Moyle and highly touted Hayes (3 years in the system). Moyle is very good in follow up and is competitive. He appeared to move well around the ground. He should be a beauty in a couple of years once he gets stronger. No doubt I would play him ahead of Burgess and Graham in the ruck already if he can run out games.

Last edited:
Graham does cop a lot of flak here (I’ve given him some myself) but definitely worth persevering with.

A lot of positives in the game but we still tend to get a bit fancy too much which is something we need to cut out. Some terrible hospital handballs etc.
Thinking Luko in for Casboult, Flanders in for Macpherson, Wittsy in for Moyle at this stage.

After watching this game, I think it's fair to say that our coaches knew Davies was going to be in a fantastic position to overtake Greenwood at some point in 2022 and for that reason, probably weren't that bothered when Hugh walked. I know it's preseason but Greenwood didn't play a single game for us in which he kicked two goals like Davies did against a solid Port Adelaide lineup yesterday. Alex also has genuine speed and is clearly a good tackler after he led the game for tackles with Touk (4). It seems strange to say but I think our 19 year old academy product may already be an upgrade on Hugh Greenwood. There's a reason why Davies was touted as a top 10 pick leading into his draft year! I also can't hold it against Greenwood for taking an opportunity to extend his career by an extra two years when he likely knew/was told that Davies would be favoured over him at the selection table in 2022 and that he would likely be forced to retire at the end of 2022.

Speaking of academy graduates, it was also nice to see Lachie playing well after having concussion issues in the latter parts of last season. Taking most kick ins and running on to get the handball receive really seemed to be working for him. He's an accurate enough kick to go short and use his pace to get us out of the defensive 50 with relative safety. I thought another Queenslander in Chol was great up forward too. It's important to have a good mix of talented locals in our best 22 IMO and I saw signs of that coming together yesterday. You go through any Premiership team (particularly non-Vic ones) and you'll notice they all have a decent amount of locals in the team making significant contributions. Even now you see it with the Lions (Zorko, Andrews, Hipwood), Giants (Hopper, Perryman, Himmelberg), Swans (Mills, Heeney, Blakey) and they were all finals teams last year.

Graham does cop a lot of flak here (I’ve given him some myself) but definitely worth persevering with.

A lot of positives in the game but we still tend to get a bit fancy too much which is something we need to cut out. Some terrible hospital handballs etc.
Thinking Luko in for Casboult, Flanders in for Macpherson, Wittsy in for Moyle at this stage.
Yeah, Casboult was the only player to me who looked struggling to keep up. Day could be ready round 1 but no match fitness. Yes, I can also see we play Luko, Chol and Corbett as talls round 1.

It will be interesting if Witts is ready round one. He mentioned that he still have some work to do to get even limited minutes against Cats. Not holding my breath.

It looks like Macpherson is in.

Yeah, Casboult was the only player to me who looked struggling to keep up. Day could be ready round 1 but no match fitness. Yes, I can also see we play Luko, Chol and Corbett as talls round 1.

It will be interesting if Witts is ready round one. He mentioned that he still have some work to do to get even limited minutes against Cats. Not holding my breath.

I’m really struggling to see what the coaching staff see in DMac. He was good 2 or 3 years ago playing mid-forward but has been ordinary since. He fumbles, makes poor decisions too much, doesn’t touch the ball enough, gets in teammates way, doesn’t appear to lay a lot of effective tackles for a small forward, doesn’t kick enough goals for a small forward, lacks pace etc.
Other than be an annoying prick towards the opposition which Darcy excels at, I think Flanders is a far better option moving to the future.

I’m really struggling to see what the coaching staff see in DMac. He was good 2 or 3 years ago playing mid-forward but has been ordinary since. He fumbles, makes poor decisions too much, doesn’t touch the ball enough, gets in teammates way, doesn’t appear to lay a lot of effective tackles for a small forward, doesn’t kick enough goals for a small forward, lacks pace etc.
Other than be an annoying prick towards the opposition which Darcy excels at, I think Flanders is a far better option moving to the future.
Yeah, Flanders is my favourite, but I would like to see him in midfield which is not easy considering Rowell and others are lock.

As for Macpherson I suspect he is team player and plays his role, knows patterns. It does not really matter how many touches etc. I thought he was decent yesterday. Yes, he fought with Corbett for the ball :cool:

O

Originally I was thinking Casboult to sit in the goal square.

We’ve never been a good contested marking team since we lost Dixon and Lynch. Even King got a lot of goals in general play or out the back.

Corbett is now our best contest marker, so just load up on proven goal scorers around him so we have threats everywhere.

Now I’m leaning towards a more mobile forward line of Chol, Luko and Corbett, with Rankine, Holman and Ainsworth plus Sexton or a resting mid. Then get mids like Davies, Sharp, Rowell etc. to chip in a few goals too.

I like what Davies did yesterday. He might turn out better than Greenwood and probably projects a bit higher, but it won't be any time this year. I think that's underselling exactly how good Hugh was for us. His ability to get good clearances while getting tackled is something none of our current mids can re-create. Rowell and Fiorini can do it to an extent, but not to the same level as he can.

Originally I was thinking Casboult to sit in the goal square.

We’ve never been a good contested marking team since we lost Dixon and Lynch. Even King got a lot of goals in general play or out the back.

Corbett is now our best contest marker, so just load up on proven goal scorers around him so we have threats everywhere.

Now I’m leaning towards a more mobile forward line of Chol, Luko and Corbett, with Rankine, Holman and Ainsworth plus Sexton or a resting mid. Then get mids like Davies, Sharp, Rowell etc. to chip in a few goals too.
It should be mentioned that Aliir Aliir played on Casboult for most of yesterday and he is one of the better key defenders in the league. Simply having a bigger body who can legitimately compete with a guy like Aliir can be beneficial, even if he's not kicking goals. We know Aliir likes to fly in for the intercepting mark but I didn't see much of that yesterday and I assume it was because Casboult was wrestling with him when the ball was kicked inside 50. I highly doubt Luko, Corbett or Burgess would be able to outmuscle a guy like Aliir so you really have to take that into consideration as well. Day is capable of playing that role as well.

I like what Davies did yesterday. He might turn out better than Greenwood and probably projects a bit higher, but it won't be any time this year. I think that's underselling exactly how good Hugh was for us. His ability to get good clearances while getting tackled is something none of our current mids can re-create. Rowell and Fiorini can do it to an extent, but not to the same level as he can.
Yes, Hugh was important to us in clearances, contested possessions but his disposal efficiency was poor. His defensive running was also not his strength. I would still prefer to have him on the list but I have no issue with Fiorini/Davis/Bowes instead.

BTW, Hugh looked very ordinary in practice game with a huge strapping on his knee. Let's see how he goes in the season. That MCL rupture could affect him significantly.

Way too harsh on Touk he does it often lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back