Game Day Pre-season 2022: GWS v Collingwood, Giants Stadium @ 12.40 pm Sunday 6 March 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how Hoskin-Elliott dragging Bruhn around and around by his jumper isn't a 50 metre for delaying, much like playing dumb about standing over the ball.

The Flynn-Preuss combo was interesting, and as a tactic specifically to counter Brodie Grundy is a good move IMHO. One that could be equally used against some of the other premier rucks or ruck combos (especially if we want to give Hogan a few games off during the year). e.g. Gawn-Jackson, Ryder-Marshall.

However, they played Flynn as primary ruck, and Preuss mainly forward, so I think if we play Hogan then Preuss won't be the ruck.

The Ruck qu is an interesting one.

If we play only Flynn or Pruess, who do you think plays back-up?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I had to go out, so missed the entire third quarter but my thought is that it was a nice solid hit out. I don’t think we got much out of second gear, but then again, they probably didn’t either.

Like Bruhn’s game, XO continues to improve, Tom Green is a freak and Bobby Hill was more consistent, more engaged, than he often is, so that was pleasing. Peatling, for a mid-season pick up from Doonside via Pennant Hills, continues to impress and looks comfortable at the level. Riccardi will get more game time if he continues to play like that.

The old guard held solid - Ward, Davis, Cogs (good to see) with Chook picking up where he left off - Mr. Smooth.

I think Keefe was good, but I believe he has now moved into the ranks of “depth” player.

Preuss is an interesting one - he’s not a forward (he can rest there but only that) but he didn’t play a lot of ruck either. He could be in trouble for the tackle, didn’t like the look of it at all.

my only real critical thought is that Ash turns it over a bit too much for my liking. You can see what he’s trying to do and they’re not necessarily bad decisions as such but it’s the execution, over cooks it, undercooks it or doesn’t see the oppo player coming in from the side half way to snaffle it. Needs to improve that part of his game.

all in all though, a nice game, a nice win.

I didn't see the game, but it seems we are better than last years team was at full strength.

I think so.

My overall impression was that the younger forwards and mids looked to have taken a positive step, which created more paths to goal (8 or 9 goal kickers?) and better mid-fwd cohesion.

Two previous areas of concern, the Ruck role and Cogs form, appear to have been largely resolved.

Not sure the backs could really improve on an heroic 2021, but great to see Phil and Keefe back to their former selves.

Now we just need everyone to stay fit and on the park for 2022!

ps. We look a Top 8 side, but are we a Top 4 side?

Foxsports report:

3. THE GIANTS’ MIDFIELD IS SCARY GOOD

There were several positives for GWS against Collingwood, but perhaps none more than the dominance of its midfield.

Stephen Coniglio (27 disposals) and Josh Kelly (41 disposals) particularly enjoyed big days out, the latter just two below his career high, to lead the Giants to victory.

Coniglio’s strong form would be particularly welcomed by Giants fans after two injury-riddled seasons from the much maligned star.

Playing in his customary role back in the midfield, Coniglio looks like he has a point to prove in 2022 and silence the critics.

Meanwhile Kelly, once considered one of the absolute top-tier superstars in the game but dipping below his best form in recent seasons, looks set to return to the peak of his powers.

Even Callan Ward (30 disposals) and Tom Green (31 disposals) were dominant, while Tim Taranto (31 disposals two goals) enjoyed a day out splitting his time between the forward line and midfield.

Jon Ralph only highlighting the Maynard and Krueger incidents in Fox’s post match review, so hopefully P is all clear.

Krueger is v lucky that Cal is superhuman and walked away, could have been a big suspension otherwise.

His nickname at Dogs was Cement Head.Looked like Kreuger made first contact with Wards head and Cement head came out on top.

Unlike Maynard I think Kreuger might be hard done by if suspended. He went for the bump and got a head clash for his trouble. I know the bump immediately gets called into question but watching it, it really looked like the heads whiplashed into each other.

Think as long as we just stay above water for the first 5 weeks without Toby we should be able to really hit the ground running when he comes back. Sydney, @ Richmond, Suns, @ Freo, @ Demons is our opening 5 even if we're just 2-3 (I think we'll be better then that) that still puts us in a pretty good spot to get rolling once Toby's back and fingers crossed we're relatively healthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very solid.
Most pleasing thing for me was the return of Davis and Cogs. Both were good today, we all know what they off fit and well.
Green was enormous, his improvement was obvious.
The other highlight was Bobby Hill. Looks a far more complete player.

Well, you only have to wait for Finn to Debut to see a better one
Haha bang on!
I agree about Flynn sadly. If Preuss is fit enough I'd be playing one ruck with Hogan coming back in.
I guess the Swans matchup with dictate how many rucks we play. but Preuss looked HUGE out there and actually tapped it down to OUR players.

I only saw the first half but Flynn disappointed me a bit. Fumbly and was mistiming jumps. Thought Grundy gave him a lesson. Hopefully he was better second half.

Nick Daicos is an absolute freak. Not sure I've ever seen a better debut game from a player.
Flynn was dominated by Grundy. Preuss wasn’t. Preuss had the most contested marks easily and should have taken a few more.
Preuss should be starting ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back