Training Pre Season 21/22

Remove this Banner Ad

what impressed me about RCD was his ability to stand in tackles and distribute the footy. Strong through the hips. More minutes by him will be very handy

I like how RCD when tackled looks for the right handball. He's a decent kick and great burst player.

If he can increase his repeat efforts and get his head fully into AFL pace then I reckon he can really step up in 2022. If RCD can do that then our midfield is in a really good place. Cotch gets a rest, Prestia gets some space to perform and we get another weapon.

With a decent rest and some luck with injuries next year my money is on Cotchy proving he is still one of the best mids in the comp. Never write Cotchy off imo....

I'm looking forward to seeing Cotch play without the burden of being captain and #1 selfless, team focused inside mid. If we can find someone who can share that role with him and he plays 20'ish games, we will be in a good position. And having someone share the role with him on-field can only benefit that kid as he's learning from a gun in that role.

On that...and there will be plenty of time to go down this path...what a turnaround by the man. Was a first receiver early in his career, won a Brownlow playing in that role, was criticised for getting cheap kicks and comes out in 2017 as a completely changed man. 100% team focused, sacrificed every part of his game and his body to ensure the team benefited. And everyone grew a leg with him playing that role.

Back to it 👍

I'm looking forward to seeing Cotch play without the burden of being captain and #1 selfless, team focused inside mid. If we can find someone who can share that role with him and he plays 20'ish games, we will be in a good position. And having someone share the role with him on-field can only benefit that kid as he's learning from a gun in that role.

Hobbs? Oh wait this is awkward

Wish the club would tape about an hour of training footage from over the week and release it at 2.00 pm Saturday. Wouldn’t need to be anything they’re working on tactics wise, maybe a bit of skills work a few scrimmages etc. Be great to see how the kids are going.

Bit of footage of the great man burning up the track wouldn’t hurt

Hobbs? Oh wait this is awkward

Yeah but maybe the club feels they have that player they can put into this role. The club prioritised the backline this year. Felt they needed to shore it up. I'm ok with that. Nobody is in a position to make comment with any level of accuracy for a few years yet.

On that...and there will be plenty of time to go down this path...what a turnaround by the man. Was a first receiver early in his career, won a Brownlow playing in that role, was criticised for getting cheap kicks and comes out in 2017 as a completely changed man. 100% team focused, sacrificed every part of his game and his body to ensure the team benefited. And everyone grew a leg with him playing that role.

Back to it 👍
Good call mate. Tell you what. If Cotch does manages to play 20ish games we're going to the GF again ! 🤩

Back to it 👍
Brilliant post on cotch, we as fans can’t thank him enough, whenever we’ve needed something inspiring I’ve always said to myself “it’s gotta be you Trent”

But it’s time for some others to take on that massive burden and I hope without the weight of that and captaincy we can see him back playing some great footy to finish off an insanely great career.

Legend

Brilliant post on cotch, we as fans can’t thank him enough, whenever we’ve needed something inspiring I’ve always said to myself “it’s gotta be you Trent”

But it’s time for some others to take on that massive burden and I hope without the weight of that and captaincy we can see him back playing some great footy to finish off an insanely great career.

Legend

When it's time, I'll be happy to kick off a fund-raiser to get a statue of him at Punt Rd. The joy he has given me and all of you blokes cannot be put into words given what some of us older blokes went through for 35 years following the club in those dark years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a decent rest and some luck with injuries next year my money is on Cotchy proving he is still one of the best mids in the comp. Never write Cotchy off imo....

I hope it's not a lot of money because that's not a good bet. Cotch is close to the cliff sadly.

Can never question his effort and desire like some. But his running ability has really declined. There was a 3-4 game stretch there in the middle to end of the last season when he played in the centre and all 3 of his opponents had 30+ touches and were clear BOG. I remember him trying to keep up with Steele and it was painful to watch.

I would rotate him at half forward to ease his workload. He still has his class as that is something you don't lose. More of his creativity up forward will be an asset. But asking to have similar or more midfield workload on his old legs next season is not the answer. We should be going the other direction on that call.

I hope it's not a lot of money because that's not a good bet. Cotch is close to the cliff sadly.

Can never question his effort and desire like some. But his running ability has really declined. There was a 3-4 game stretch there in the middle to end of the last season when he played in the centre and all 3 of his opponents had 30+ touches and were clear BOG. I remember him trying to keep up with Steele and it was painful to watch.

I would rotate him at half forward to ease his workload. He still has his class as that is something you don't lose. More of his creativity up forward will be an asset. But asking to have similar or more midfield workload on his old legs next season is not the answer. We should be going the other direction on that call.

mids have regularly had 30 plus against us for the past 5 years. I agree that he should be more 50/50 spend some time forward

I have never considered Cotchin to be a good foward and his kicking is questionable at best, Unless he can play mid i really cant see point of carrying him as thats what we would be doing. I dont want to see a Marc Murphy situation with the skip

Anyone got Cotch's stats for the last few games ?

I thought he was terrific late in the season with almost nothing to gain but his pride wouldn't let him give anything less than 100%.
And was BOG when we beat the unbeaten Bullducks. Carried a PCL most of the year. Turning 32, not 35.

And was BOG when we beat the unbeaten Bullducks. Carried a PCL most of the year. Turning 32, not 35.
Matthew Knights retires at 31. Wayne Campbell 32. Swan was 32, Judd 31. Plenty of great players retired at Cotchin's aged.
Not saying he is there yet, but we need to transition new mids through the middle and Cotch will have to find another role I reckon. He would be dangerous resting deep forward I reckon.

what impressed me about RCD was his ability to stand in tackles and distribute the footy. Strong through the hips. More minutes by him will be very handy
Agree. Another thing that impresses me is his ability to dispose of the ball properly when he is going to go down in a tackle. So many of our players just cop the HTB when they could have easily just disposed of it. RCD though will try to dispose of the ball properly and succeeds in doing so very often

Cheers mate. Looks like he was just getting warmed up. Doesn't look like a player who's lost the desire to me. A good break, a good preseason and one last almighty crack is in the offing imo. Bloke doesn't know how to quit.

Reckon he and Dusty will be driving each other all pre season. Same goes for Jack, Lynch, Deon, Shedda, Lambo, Grimes...I'm actually pretty excited.

Let alone a bunch of hungry kids trying to push in.

Bring on 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back