Preferred opponent in Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne all play a similar brand of footy - hard, contested war of attrition. Results show Richmond are the best at it and by a margin. Not much separates Collingwood and Melbourne IMO.

West Coast prefer to run and spread but I doubt Richmond would allow them to do this (at the G - which they own currently)

We’d beat either pretty comfortably as shown by earlier results so I don’t really mind.

If we get there id rather play Melbourne. West Coast is a bad match up for us.

Winner of West Coast V Melbourne will want to avoid Richmond and play Collingwood.

Winner of Richmond V Collingwood will want a true home ground advantage and play West Coast.

Not a 'true' home ground advantage as the crowd isn't going to be 80% Pies as usual. Will be evenly split, with a lot fewer supporters of each side. Only advantage will be the ground itself, crowdwise it's neutral.

On paper Collingwood, BUT if Collingwood roll Richmond doesn't that also show they're even better than many think? Or Richmond more vulnerable? Also we played em recently at home and it was a struggle, so they'll have learned a few things.

Personally I'd actually rather play the Tiges. The prospect of losing to Collingwood while living in Melbourne is unbearable. But if we win both would be equally sweet.

WCE without NN, Gaff and Sheppard in Melbourne (with a recent GF smashing) would have to be the pick for Richmond/Collingwood (some pies fans might underestimate Melbourne based on Queens Birthday clash). You seldom see premiers with a handful like that on the sidelines. Like in 2005, the footy gods won't look kindly on a stinky GF team with several best-22 on the sidelines.

Collingwood the obvious pick for WCE/Melbourne. A hollow flag without the Tigers, but at least you'll be made to earn it by a side which won't roll over. But something tells me WCE are more likely to beat Richmond twice in one season than Collingwood thrice, the latter will be due for a win. Who knows with Melbourne, they might have more of a fairytale buzz against the Tiges, whereas Collingwood's vibe and intensity negates that.

Dusty has always been one of those deadly types you never want to play in a GF, because you know the knives he can stick in. Collingwood don't have that fear factor, nor do Melbourne, and West Coast are a bit more relaxed and by foot.

As long as Lycett doesn't fulfill his destiny by dropping a crucial mark in the dying minutes, I'm ready! 11 days!

Last edited:
Richmond, all day. I think Collingwood is more vulnerable than the Tigs, but they’ve made fools of us two years running now and I don’t think our current game plan stacks up well against their marking forward presence. Grundy is capable of beating Gawn, and both teams have really strong inside midfielders. I doubt Cox would kick 5 again now that Frost is in the side but I don’t want to have that option.

Richmond would be favourites by a long way, but I think we can get them in the middle on most weeks and then hope our tall forwards and rebounding defenders have a day out.

The fairytale factor means that if Melbourne get in they will win through divine intervention. As such, if Collingwood gets through I'd rather play West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually don't know if I'd prefer West Coast. They have tall forwards that match up well to our defence and a solid defence. On the flip side, I think our backline can handle Melbourne's 'chaos' footy a little better as we could potentially intercept their inside 50 bombs throughout the game while pressuring their defence into giving us the ball at the other end. We also have adapted to losing the midfield battle well as it happens often, so I actually would not prefer West Coast over Melbourne even though we have the home ground advantage.

Anyway, first step is making the Grand Final and I'd be pleased for Richmond to play either as that would mean we made the Grand Final.

If were Richmond - I would want West Coast , a true home final with majority of neutrals barracking for Richmond.
If were West Coast - I would want Collingwood. They match up well with the pies, and the Pies will have trouble stopping a fit West Coast forward line as they can be a little undersized in defence.
If I were Collingwood - I would want Melbourne, Collingwood seem to have an edge on them and them coming off what will be a tough interstate game.
If I were Melbourne - I would want Richmond, I think they match up better with Richmond than they do the pies.

But in the end who really cares, If you made the GF you will need to bring your A game regardless of who you play. Only top quality outfits make it to a GF. Richmond, West Coast, Melbourne and the Pies have all had very good seasons, have serious talent in their sides and are coached well. Coming into finals though history has a way of showing us early who the GF winner will be, "the form" team coming into the finals ......... Melbourne. Look out whoever is playing them............. Damn

Our defence was in disarray the last time we played Richmond, you can see it on the replay. On several occasions our last line of defence when they'd end up kicking a goal would be 2-3 of our midfielders and Neville Jetta. We've improved a lot since then, but not sure if it's to the tune of 50 points.

Melbourne for us, we beat them well last time and they'll be coming off a Perth trip.
Do people mark west coast or freo down when they go back after a victoria trip? I only see a problem if the teams coming back on a shorter 6 day or less break. Do west coast use travelling back as an excuse? Interstate teams normally have to travel 9 or 10 times a year, if its a problem for victorian teams then they should look at how these teams handle scheduling and fix that up.

Do people mark west coast or freo down when they go back after a victoria trip? I only see a problem if the teams coming back on a shorter 6 day or less break. Do west coast use travelling back as an excuse? Interstate teams normally have to travel 9 or 10 times a year, if its a problem for victorian teams then they should look at how these teams handle scheduling and fix that up.
You'll be traveling there and back, and WC and co have vast experience in traveling, i think you'll beat WC fwiw.

Easily Collingwood. We've already beaten them at the MCG this year, we can do it again.
Careful
Didn't work for us.

WC have a different gameplan to the other teams in my view. Precision ball movement and aerial strength. Just about whether it can be imposed on the other 3 teams. The H/A season suggests it can

Remove this Banner Ad

Back