Preview Preliminary Final 1, GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Sat 24th September, 5.15pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

This is going to be a crackin game! These two teams are the future, hopefully my mob gets up this weekend, either way its gonna be a great game which I am really looking forward to.

I was there for the R9 game and that's got me confident going into Saturday, we looked off the boil that day, and you hurt us, I reckon were on song atm and its gonna take an immense performance to beat us. Good luck

Were heading over from Dubbo for the game, whats the best car park for spotless?

P1 if not yet sold out, P6 if it is

Yes i do find it amusing when they bag Ward and Griff yet defend Boyd
We completely botched the Ward contract negotiations and very few Bullies supporters begrudge Ward's decision to move - he simply had to do it, for the offer was way too good and we were trying to nickel and dime him. Griffen is another story. Boyd too.

Yes i do find it amusing when they bag Ward and Griff yet defend Boyd
I think you'll find most dogs supporters don't bag Ward at all though. Majority anyway. He got an offer he couldn't refuse - whilst it hurt, the majority wished him well.

Griffen was arguably our best player, a fan favourite - not to mention captain - who walked out on the club at probably the lowest point in the last 20 years. His departure sunk the boot into us like none before. I hope you guys never experience the feeling of just how deflating that was.

Boyd was only there a very short time, sure, but you could say his departure made zero difference to your side, and in a lot of ways his departure has really set you up with Lobb really stepping up in your forward 50 and in the ruck. You were also well compensated for him - just as we were with Ward. Its a shame Marchbank hasn't worked out but there will be another pick coming back your way.

Respectfully, there's really no comparison.

I think you'll find most dogs supporters don't bag Ward at all though. Majority anyway. He got an offer he couldn't refuse - whilst it hurt, the majority wished him well.

Griffen was arguably our best player, a fan favourite - not to mention captain - who walked out on the club at probably the lowest point in the last 20 years. His departure sunk the boot into us like none before. I hope you guys never experience the feeling of just how deflating that was.

Boyd was only there a very short time, sure, but you could say his departure made zero difference to your side, and in a lot of ways his departure has really set you up with Lobb really stepping up in your forward 50 and in the ruck. You were also well compensated for him - just as we were with Ward. Its a shame Marchbank hasn't worked out but there will be another pick coming back your way.

It was all about money for boyd.
I wont throw stones at him about the money part as its glass houses. But to say they arent the same and that it affected you and not us is just silly.

You guys are playing finals against us, so cant of hurt to bad using your logic.

So, respectfully, it is.

Kind of agree
Boyd hasn't hurt us much, may have played early this year with Cameron suspended. Arguably gave McCarthy his chance to shine last year, but lets not get into that. Would definitely be on our list if he wanted to be, but playing? I dont know.
Griffin looked like he needed a gap year last year IMO, but he is delivering this year. Maybe the stress just got to him over time?

It was all about money for boyd.
I wont throw stones at him about the money part as its glass houses. But to say they arent the same and that it affected you and not us is just silly.

You guys are playing finals against us, so cant of hurt to bad using your logic.

So, respectfully, it is.
Well, I'm going to have to disagree (no surprise there)... A captain walking out really trumps everything.

Do you think Boyd would be getting a game in your current side?

Well, I'm going to have to disagree (no surprise there)... A captain walking out really trumps everything.

Do you think Boyd would be getting a game in your current side?
Im sure you do.

He was our number 1 pick and couldnt even see out his rookie contract.

Who knows. If i knew that i would know lotto numbers.

Anyway this is off topic.

Is it Saturday yet?

Kind of agree
Boyd hasn't hurt us much, may have played early this year with Cameron suspended. Arguably gave McCarthy his chance to shine last year, but lets not get into that. Would definitely be on our list if he wanted to be, but playing? I dont know.
Griffin looked like he needed a gap year last year IMO, but he is delivering this year. Maybe the stress just got to him over time?
He never wanted the captaincy, and unfortunately our previous management decided to give him the title when it probably should have been Murphy from the get-go.

It definitely didn't help his situation, but he also could have stood up like a man and declared he didn't want it. Anyway, all in the past now.

Both sides would be very happy the way it has worked out. We still will forever hold a grudge against him for walking out the back door and being uncontactable during the few days after dropping the bombshell to go pig shooting. Could have handled it better and informed the club's supporters.

He never wanted the captaincy, and unfortunately our previous management decided to give him the title when it probably should have been Murphy from the get-go.

It definitely didn't help his situation, but he also could have stood up like a man and declared he didn't want it. Anyway, all in the past now.

Both sides would be very happy the way it has worked out. We still will forever hold a grudge against him for walking out the back door and being uncontactable during the few days after dropping the bombshell to go pig shooting. Could have handled it better and informed the club's supporters.
Boyd could of done the same except he had young as a manager....

Anyhow....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cogs for sure
Hopefully he'll have some help, Clay Smith wasn't in the side last time we met so that should be a point of difference in the middle. Wallis not in the side now, but can roll forward more than Wallis, so probably an upgrade on our part.

Griffen didn't play for GWS either in round 9, so a big inclusion there as well.

Lobb only recorded 3 hitouts so will probably have as much ruck impact as Boyd, who also averages single figures for H/O.

It really will come down to Roughead v Mumford. Different type of bigmen, but Rough really did a number on McEvoy last week (despite his 38 hitouts - wasn't overly effective), will need to bring that and more for this week.

It really will come down to Roughead v Mumford. Different type of bigmen, but Rough really did a number on McEvoy last week (despite his 38 hitouts - wasn't overly effective), will need to bring that and more for this week.

Mumford's tap outs have been average at best the second half of the year and on. All of his value is in his ground work: blocking, tackling and clearances, as well as clogging up space when the opposition has the ball. He's like a 197cm or so Libba in close. From what I gather Roughead is similar for tap work, but offering value around the ground? He might be the one that Mumford dominates. It'll be interesting.

Probably tough on non Vic teams, reality is, its part of history and when interstate clubs signed up for AFL they know this.

Haha, kind of like how all the clubs signed off on GWS entry and concessions. The irony... you couldn't make it more obvious that you're an entitled VFL muppet.

Mumford's tap outs have been average at best the second half of the year and on. All of his value is in his ground work: blocking, tackling and clearances, as well as clogging up space when the opposition has the ball. He's like a 197cm or so Libba in close. From what I gather Roughead is similar for tap work, but offering value around the ground? He might be the one that Mumford dominates. It'll be interesting.
Yeah fair enough, Roughead has really lifted his workrate the 2nd half of the season in regards to contested marks, both in defence and forward. The last 2 weeks he has been super mobile around the ground, pushing his opponent into the forward 50, which could test Mumford. In close, and in the trenches will suit Mumford I think. Similar to Minson?

Yeah fair enough, Roughead has really lifted his workrate the 2nd half of the season in regards to contested marks, both in defence and forward. The last 2 weeks he has been super mobile around the ground, pushing his opponent into the forward 50, which could test Mumford. In close, and in the trenches will suit Mumford I think. Similar to Minson?

I have a feeling that Mummy would hand off Roughead to the defence if that eventuates and set up to clog space a kick from the ball, especially in the centre of the ground. Tommo tends to take the resting ruck but pretty much all the guys would back themselves to out mark a ruckman by coming third man in.

Yeah
Just add that maybe if Mummy was struggling at the taps we might be keen to use other options. Hopefully he wont. We might also rely on our mids and mummy's second efforts to turn it around. Not sure that would work on Saturday against the best inside mids in the comp.
On the other hand Bulldogs are the best mids in the comp at sharking taps so we might prefer to have mummy there for the battle.
Not sure how that goes, but we definitely cant afford to get it wrong. In my view if we halve or get close in the inside battle we'll win, ..........if.

As a resident of Victoria this game can't come soon enough!

The level of patronising fake praise being dealt out to the Bulldogs has been absolutely bile churning.

The demonising of GWS has been completely out of touch and unfair.

The media down here are absolutely worthless scumbags, would not piss on any of them if they were on fire.

Would be great to put an end to this fairytale.

Yeah
Just add that maybe if Mummy was struggling at the taps we might be keen to use other options. Hopefully he wont. We might also rely on our mids and mummy's second efforts to turn it around. Not sure that would work on Saturday against the best inside mids in the comp.
On the other hand Bulldogs are the best mids in the comp at sharking taps so we might prefer to have mummy there for the battle.
Not sure how that goes, but we definitely cant afford to get it wrong. In my view if we halve or get close in the inside battle we'll win, ..........if.
We don't have a tap dominant ruckman either, but we've been fairly effective around the ground with third men up. I agree that Mummy will be a monster midfielder, rather than a dominant ruckman. He's a handful that's for sure. You can probably tell from the tone of the posts here that Mummy is considered a threat by us fans at least. The midfield and stoppage battles will be fascinating and a game within a game.

Get that and from our point of view hope he is. I guess my point was your inside mids are a threat to us and will need Mummy's help if at all possible. Not sure names are appropriate as both teams work as a unit. I find with us it depends on matchups on the day, my head hurts when I try to figure them out. Get cogs to Bont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back