Game Day Preliminary Final: Collingwood v Hawthorn, 7.45pm Fri 23rd, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preliminary Final Hawthorn v Collingwood, 7.45pm, Friday 23 September, MCG.

50500a.jpg
V
50514a

Collingwood
B: Alan Toovey, Ben Reid, Heritier O'Brien
HB: Nick Maxwell, Chris Tarrant, Heath Shaw
C: Dayne Beams, Sharrod Wellingham, Dale Thomas
HF: Ben Johnson, Leigh Brown, Alan Didak
F: Steele Sidebottom, Travis Cloke, Luke Ball
Foll: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury, Andrew Krakouer
I/C: Leon Davis, Dane Swan, Chris Dawes, Jarryd Blair
Emg: Tyson Goldsack, Cameron Wood, Alex Fasolo
In: Dale Thomas, Ben Reid
Out: Tyson Goldsack, Alex Fasolo

Hawthorn
B: Thomas Murphy, Josh Gibson, Benjamin Stratton
HB: Grant Birchall, Ryan Schoenmakers, Paul Puopolo
C: Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Isaac Smith
HF: Luke Hodge, Lance Franklin, Liam Shiels
F: Chance Bateman, David Hale, Cyril Rioli
Foll: Max Bailey, Shaun Burgoyne, Brad Sewell
I/C: Brent Guerra, Michael Osborne, Brendan Whitecross, Matt Suckling
Emg: Jordan Lisle, Shane Savage, Luke Breust
Milestones: Brendan Whitecross - 50 games

collvhaw05_gallery__600x399.jpg

They don't come much bigger than a Preliminary final against the great unwashed, and harliquin has penned his very own thoughts on just how we will and should be entering this big game.
harliquin said:
Well, it's been a long time coming. Some might say overDew.

3 years to be precise, now we're only one step away from the Grand Final. We can nearly taste the wonderful concoction of booze that will be sipped from our 11th premiership cup.

Unfortunately, before we get to enjoy some of gods sweet sweet nectar, we have to get past last years premiers. Whom, if you were to believe some of their supporters, are a sure thing. Thankfully, the majority of their supporter base can be likened to that irritating sibling, best to be locked in the basement and fed scraps so that they don't annoy the rest of the family.

158396_main.jpg

I'm perhaps a little more realistic, even optimistic. It's a big game, no doubt. But, no game of football has been decided before the bounce, just ask the Cats the last time they were a sure thing. Hawthorn pride themselves on doing things the hard way, and this will be no different.

Things haven't been easy for us this year. We've been reminded more times than I can count that our backline is too small, we've had too many injuries and our game plan doesn't work. Yet, we find ourselves on the eve of our first preliminary final since 2008.

Buddy's blown off his colon-cobwebs, Puopolo is to tough for a hamstring injury and we're going in unchanged from our bout with Sydney.

FB Stratton Gibson Murphy
HB Puopolo Schoenmakers Birchall
C Smith Mitchell Lewis
HF Shiels Franklin Hodge
FF Rioli Hale Bateman
R Bailey Burgoyne Sewell
I Guerra Osborne Whitecross Suckling
Emerg. Lisle Savage Bruest

Collingwood are bringing in Daisy and Reid, whilst omitting Goldsack and Fasolo.

I expect this game to be played like every other final. Hard & fast, with alot of contested ball. Thankfully, we are every bit as good as the pies in this regard. Clarkson has recruited and developed this team for games like this. There are no weak links in our team when it comes to getting the hard ball. He has this team honoring the age old Hawthorn tradition. Everyone will go when it's their turn.

This game will ultimately be won and lost in the midfield, and whilst I could crap for several pages regarding matchups, I'm not going to. Instead, I'll cut to the cheese.

* Buddy. I'm not sure he had as much attention from the media in 2008, as he has the past couple of weeks. After a miraculous recovery from a Larkins-diagnosed ACL he had a relatively quiet first half against Sydney. During the 3rd quarter he blew the cobwebs off his knee and seemingly grew in confidence with every stride, resulting in a match saving final term, that left many thinking 'vintage Buddy'. This week he's had the media camp outside hospitals awaiting breaking news on the texture of his latest stool, and had a spattering of his teammates and coaches laugh at his regular visits to the mens. But, that won't have distracted him. As long as he leads, and leads again thereby disallowing players like Maxwell the easy ball, I think he's in for a big one. He loves finals, he has runs on the board, and I don't think this is going to be any different.

* Gibson (or Stratton) must be unaccountable. We saw last week just how damaging this man can be, when he's allowed to roam the back half, sending incoming footballs into orbit. I suspect our relatively inexperienced back half will resign him to playing on Cloke. However, I hope Clarkson will back in one of our smaller, or less experienced defenders for the job, allowing Gibson to send Collingwoods attacks back into the 3rd tier. Alternatively, Stratton is also capable of this job. Our backs work best when working together, we can't let them isolate us. This lesson was learnt against Geelong.

* Finals Football. Most might consider it a disadvantage that we have played every week so far, whilst Collingwood should be very well rested. However, several changes were made to both our personnel and game plan, that have made significant improvements to our side. Additionally, several of Collingwoods players have played only a handful of games over the last 8 weeks including Shaw, Maxwell, Thomas, Dawes & Reid. These are players critical to their structures, that haven't played a whole heap of finals football in 2011.

* We are Hawthorn. We are BRED to win finals. Losing this game is not an option. Expect our inspirational leaders to lead from the front, and our youngsters to follow suit. Make no mistake people, we aren't here to make up the numbers. We're coming for the silverware.

Hawks by 18.

GAME ON!

Man, 4 bloody hours to go, couldnt help myself and drunk 2 vbs already, have to try to enjoy tonights game, LIVE thank god.
Good umpiring TICK
Accurate Kicking by Hawks TICK
Bad kicking by Cloak and the pies TICK
4 Hard Quarters of man on man footy TICK
Hawks by a couple of goals TICK

4 hours to go & i have downed 2 glasses of Red :)

Can't wiat for the battle tonight cause that is what it is tonight! Do or die no next week from here on.

Go Hawkers!!!!!!

Looking at the betting it's like we are only going in with 18 players and no bench!

We've blown out to $4.20 with a margin of 23 points for evens!!

Don't know about any of you guys but I'm getting on for some of that, crazy odds:thumbsu:

And I don't like betting on anything but Good Things:D

Hawks by 19 give or take a few....:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Looking at the betting it's like we are only going in with 18 players and no bench!

We've blown out to $4.20 with a margin of 23 points for evens!!

Don't know about any of you guys but I'm getting on for some of that, crazy odds:thumbsu:

And I don't like betting on anything but Good Things:D

Hawks by 19 give or take a few....:thumbsu::thumbsu:

I only bet on a couple of games a year, but I'll be putting a bit of cash on us by under 39.5 points.

It's like every Collingwood supporter in town has thrown their life savings on the magpies getting up tonight.

Will be a river of tears if we beat them.

I have a feeling Shoey and Hale will be our barometers tonight, if they can hold their own, or even exert a little influence on the contest then we are in with a huge chance of progressing.
We don't want to be forced to juggle our defense, and we need big Hale to take a few grabs tonight to take the pressure of Buddy. If those two are beaten then its going to be a difficult night.

Hawks by 2 goals 2.

At work but not working - skipping between forums, feeling uneasy, nervous, sick and all of the above at the same time. Big test tonight and the most important thing is to hit the scoreboard with GOALS and put some doubt in the pies mind early, easy misses and just like for the last two finals, the pies will take advantage of it and burn us at the other end.

Four quarters of football is also needed - something they have struggled to do all year.

Don't know what I'm expecting - a part of me expects an upset of epic BF meltdown proportions and hoping that they don't get blown out of the park similar to the cats last season.

I know what I want, just don't know if thats what I'm going to get. :(

If we win tonight I'm going to:
- consume a year's worth of grog, they'll have to drag me out of the MCC again
- call every Collingwood supporter I know after the game and give them some well timed advice on where their team can improve
- take a week off work
- change my middle name to Buddy, and my other middle name to Hodge
- lock the mrs out until she commits to Hawthorn instead of Geelong
- keep my head down whilst walking around hoddle st/smith st/johnston st
- maybe run onto the grand after the match

Yeh I think we all know what we want. Who knows if we will get it, it all comes down to hunger for me, how hungry are the hawks? Its a shame they didnt place hawks in the mcg tonight instead of eagles, could have been an omen! They are placing two eagles in the roof of the mcg to scare away the seaguls tonight, read it in the sun, weird eh?

If we win tonight I'm going to:
- consume a year's worth of grog, they'll have to drag me out of the MCC again
- call every Collingwood supporter I know after the game and give them some well timed advice on where their team can improve
- take a week off work
- change my middle name to Buddy, and my other middle name to Hodge
- lock the mrs out until she commits to Hawthorn instead of Geelong
- keep my head down whilst walking around hoddle st/smith st/johnston st
- maybe run onto the grand after the match

My missus gos for hawks if we are playing cats, otherwise she gos for cats! How many of those things are u gonna do? the ground one would cost u like 5k! or something! Carn the hawkers!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh the sweet feeling of anticipation...I'll be watching the game in row 1, seat 1, in my home theatre, watching the 100" screen, shouting my lungs out as if I was there. The other Hawks member in the house will go to bed before the game is over (my 9 yo), but she'll be woken up if we win.

We didn't get to this point of the season for nothing, we can take the game up to the 'pies.

I just want our guys to play the very best they can, coz we can beat anyone when we do.

See you all in about 5 hours...

My missus gos for hawks if we are playing cats, otherwise she gos for cats! How many of those things are u gonna do? the ground one would cost u like 5k! or something! Carn the hawkers!!!
Pay $3k and watch the game from a corporate box...
Pay $5k and watch the game from up close on the field!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back