News Proposed Redevelopment of Subiaco

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you or someone else define the term pencil neck? I don't get how is correlates to being a footy follower.

Edit: just googled it :rolleyes:
burnshart50963fb5dbfd7bff493fc4f966b4f551.jpg

Can you or someone else define the term pencil neck? I don't get how is correlates to being a footy follower.

Edit: just googled it :rolleyes:

pencil neck
[pen-suh l nek]

noun
Informal. someone who Silent Alarm cannot get along with:
I cannot get along with the posters here because they are pencil necks.

A government which is currently looking to sell off assets to reduce that debt in the hope of restoring their precious AAA credit rating.

Do you really believe they will commit to a 9 figure wave park project? (Remember they have a 10 figure football stadium project on the go at the moment. A stadium which will be largely unused for 6 months each year).

I can't believe people seriously think this is a good idea. There is no way it could possibly pay for itself hence it would have to be subsidised. People gripe about shelling out for stadium out to cater for a few sports that a substantial minority of the population attend, you seriously think they'd be okay with subsidising surfing to the tune of hundreds of millions?
Also why would you build a wave park inland? It's a landlocked design, we're not. It'd be far cheaper to operate (and arguably to construct) if you built it down at the beach where you have a unlimited supply of inlet water and only minimal treatment would be required for discharge.

Where are you getting your figures from? The article in the OP states "Both groups say they have already had lots of interest from developers, and believe the surfing village would require no capital expenditure from the government". The bulk of the $120 million price tag would be for the 220 apartments they plan on selling for between $500k and $800k (or a total between $110-160 million).

The cost for the wavepark itself is between $3-10 million depending on the size and other variables.

All those figures might end up wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence to support that position.

I'd be surprised if you turn it around, must be some serious pumps moving the water. The one in Snowdonia looks like pretty good fun tho.

Yeah pumps at either end are obviously a must. It would come down to the gradient design on the bottom of the pool. May not be possible.

It sure does look fun and I'd love to take my girl there to watch on or one day have a go.

It doesn't appear to use pumps, but rather a large object is moved under the water to displace the water and create a wave. Which is why it can be turned around easily and why it can use less energy than conventional wave generators.

Wavegarden_angle_diagram-580x345.png

Wavegarden_diagram_sideview.png

Wavegarden_diagram-580x353.png

Where are you getting your figures from? The article in the OP states "Both groups say they have already had lots of interest from developers, and believe the surfing village would require no capital expenditure from the government". The bulk of the $120 million price tag would be for the 220 apartments they plan on selling for between $500k and $800k (or a total between $110-160 million).

The cost for the wavepark itself is between $3-10 million depending on the size and other variables.

All those figures might end up wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence to support that position.

It doesn't appear to use pumps, but rather a large object is moved under the water to displace the water and create a wave. Which is why it can be turned around easily and why it can use less energy than conventional wave generators.

Wavegarden_angle_diagram-580x345.png

Wavegarden_diagram_sideview.png

Wavegarden_diagram-580x353.png

Yes it makes more sense to use a big object to push and propel the water. No pump required and probably cheaper on maintenence.

It us clearly outlined that the apartments would be built and sold off in a number of articles to make up the cost of the development so it's not just a wave pool.

The facility in my opinion looks good. I'm sure the apartments will match the style of Subiaco and then the wave pool will pay for itself very quickly.

It's a great idea and if it does become a white elephant one day then it can be decommissioned and the rest of the land eventually developed for more apartments.

Don't know what all the disgruntled attitudes to something that's only a proposal which is one of a few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where have I heard the wave pool idea before? That's right, it was floated in Melbourne a year ago.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/s...ne-cbd-wave-pool-floated-20141109-11itpe.html

Nothing but crickets for 6 months and then this (coincidentally also reported in that august journal 'Surfing Life').

http://www.surfinglife.com.au/news/sl-news/13566-the-melbourne-wave-pool-will-it-actually-happen

Note where Mr Rogers states "The City of Melbourne is not formally supporting it as of now, but we’ve met and we will be working very closely in order to get these permits and approvals."

At least he scored a trip to New York as a finalist in the 2015 Pitch Your City contest. It lost. The win went to the Miami Underline.

http://architizer.com/blog/pitching-the-city-2015-finalists/
http://architizer.com/blog/ptc-2015-winner-is-the-underline/

Fast forward to September and the release of the City of Melbourne Annual Report.

https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Ab...s/City_of_Melbourne_Annual_Report_2014-15.pdf

Absolutely no mention of the wave pool anywhere, not even in their 4 year priorities. Restoring libraries and beautifying laneways got a mention. Those Victorians sure know what it takes to make a city vibrant. They really do.

I don't have any personal objections to the idea, but anyone believing it will be built in this area is going to be sadly disappointed.

I don't have any personal objections to the idea, but anyone believing it will be built in this area is going to be sadly disappointed.

I think the end of the other article you posted made it clear that this would be unlikely to happen
"The City of Subiaco hopes to save the Subiaco Oval so it can remain as a sporting facility. It has applied for the stadium to be heritage listed. The council has begun talks with the WA Football Commission, the West Coast Eagles and the Department of Sport and Recreation and the Department of Housing to work on a future plan for the stadium, due to be revealed in September 2016.

However, the land is owned by the state government and while it currently has no plans for the stadium, Premier Colin Barnett indicated that it could become a housing development."

My previous post was just about correcting what appeared to be a misconception that this would cost the government $100 million+

EDIT: The article about the Melbourne proposal says "The company is seeking funding from developers or potential operators of the facility, rather than the government."
So there would be no reason for it to appear in the City of Melbourne's financial reports even if it was approved.

Last edited:
I think the end of the other article you posted made it clear that this would be unlikely to happen
"The City of Subiaco hopes to save the Subiaco Oval so it can remain as a sporting facility. It has applied for the stadium to be heritage listed. The council has begun talks with the WA Football Commission, the West Coast Eagles and the Department of Sport and Recreation and the Department of Housing to work on a future plan for the stadium, due to be revealed in September 2016.

However, the land is owned by the state government and while it currently has no plans for the stadium, Premier Colin Barnett indicated that it could become a housing development."

My previous post was just about correcting what appeared to be a misconception that this would cost the government $100 million+

EDIT: The article about the Melbourne proposal says "The company is seeking funding from developers or potential operators of the facility, rather than the government."
So there would be no reason for it to appear in the City of Melbourne's financial reports even if it was approved.
Not everything included in the Annual Report requires COM financial support.

For instance, on page 27, they include banning smoking in Howey Pl, Equitable Pl and Block Pl as a major initiative.

You would imagine allowing the building of a huge wave pool in Docklands as worthy of a mention if there any plans for it to go ahead, certainly in their 4 year plans.

The original figure of $120m came from the 'Surfing Life' article. My bad for not reading it carefully and simply taking their word for it.

Your estimate of $3-$10 million would be way unders though (that article is nearly 5 years old). Colin Barnett spent $25.5 million renovating his office in 2012.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/15218603/premier-opens-doors-to-palace/

Anyway I'm done with this debate. Cheers.

I've heard they are finalising approval for a 5 precinct monstrocity at the Subiaco site... It's not an actual monstrosity, that's what they are naming it: "Monstro City"

roof level - recreational - wave pool that doubles as a cable water ski, artificial beaches, picnic areas, playgrounds
middle level - residential - 5 storeys of apartments
ground level - commercial - shopping mall and restaurants
basement level - recreational - ice skating, ski slope, aquarium, museums
sub-basement level - transportation - subway

The feasibility study commissioned by the Government clearly showed we needed something like this and Barnett was quick to give it the green light. The report said Perth had consistently high average temperatures like Dubai. Conveniently omitting any humidity figures and extrapolating being windy as having regular dust storms. A commentator made note the writers were well versed in picking and chosing numbers to best suit their argument like many BF posters ;)

Your estimate of $3-$10 million would be way unders though (that article is nearly 5 years old). Colin Barnett spent $25.5 million renovating his office in 2012.

It's not my estimate, I don't have the experience to price a relatively unknown wave generator design, I was just quoting one of the developer from 5 years ago.

The article about the Melbourne design also has a not so helpful price.
"Arup urban and transport planner Phil Carter said Melbourne's surf park was likely to be a world first because it would be floated in the harbour.

Mr Carter expects the facility to cost more than $8 million."

Sidenote, the mentioned Arup group is also involved in with the Perth Stadium

This could actually work. Do you think they will let you ride your dirt bike in there?

I know we have plenty of bush, as we do beaches.

But you can't ride your bikes in the bush, because you will get fined.

But is there any legislation stopping you from riding your bike on the water?

This could actually work. Do you think they will let you ride your dirt bike in there?
But is there any legislation stopping you from riding your bike on the water?

The Law of Gravity ultimately steps in and stops the fun.

Yes the beach is lovely I've spent more time there than the majority of posters on here. The thing is unless you want to drive 3 hours plus out of Perth there is no waves. Not that convenient for the Perth public.

Grubby pond well that's only if the engineers design it to be one.

Wasn't listening to 6PR on the way home from work on Thursday and one of the arse clowns (not Karl but another one) said that perth had some of the best surf beaches in the world when discussing this topic as part of his thoughts on why this proposal wouldn't work

It underlined the problem with this debate so many people have such a complete lack of knowledge of this. Perth doesn't even have the best surf beaches in this state - by all measures our surf beaches are adequate at best

I'm by no means sold on this wave pool idea because I'm skeptical of the costs of construction and also of the admission prices necessary for it to be viable but to deny it has some value as a year round surfing option (including night time) with no risk of shark attack and in an environment that has undoubted benefits in teaching young kids to surf is dumb

The waves shown in the video weren't great by any stretch of the imagination but in the midst of a long summer flat spell I've surfed far far worse and would have killed for a consistent two footer - something that people who have never surfed have no hope of understanding

Wasn't listening to 6PR on the way home from work on Thursday and one of the arse clowns (not Karl but another one) said that perth had some of the best surf beaches in the world when discussing this topic as part of his thoughts on why this proposal wouldn't work

It underlined the problem with this debate so many people have such a complete lack of knowledge of this. Perth doesn't even have the best surf beaches in this state - by all measures our surf beaches are adequate at best

I'm by no means sold on this wave pool idea because I'm skeptical of the costs of construction and also of the admission prices necessary for it to be viable but to deny it has some value as a year round surfing option (including night time) with no risk of shark attack and in an environment that has undoubted benefits in teaching young kids to surf is dumb

The waves shown in the video weren't great by any stretch of the imagination but in the midst of a long summer flat spell I've surfed far far worse and would have killed for a consistent two footer - something that people who have never surfed have no hope of understanding

Yeah I understand your concerns

We have great beaches if you like sitting in the sun but anyone who says they are great for surfing have no idea. No surf in summer and sand banks that can't handle swell.

Close out waves instead of long rolling waves. Anyway 6pr are the expert surfers I guess ha ha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back